Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
jammer

Default Bullfrog

I finally got a pretty good look at the big frog tonight. I couldn't
see it's feet, but it is about 5 inches long without it's feet. After
looking at it and then looking at pictures, the only way to tell was
it's size. It has to be a (young?) bullfrog. It is brown on the back,
green on the head, white on it's chest and yellow around it's mouth.
Quite a good specimen. So far it hasn't eaten my 3 fish. It looks
rather thin.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"jammer" wrote in message
I finally got a pretty good look at the big frog tonight. I couldn't
see it's feet, but it is about 5 inches long without it's feet. After
looking at it and then looking at pictures, the only way to tell was
it's size. It has to be a (young?) bullfrog. It is brown on the back,
green on the head, white on it's chest and yellow around it's mouth.
Quite a good specimen. So far it hasn't eaten my 3 fish. It looks
rather thin.

I have some new found bull's in my pond this year as well. I can't get pics
though, as my digi-cam is dead. Anyway, here is a photo of a green frog,
http://www.darofamily.com/jeff/files.../p1010009.jpg. You can
tell it's a green, because of the fold of skin that runs down it's back. On
a bull, that fold turns 90 degrees down to the front legs.

BV.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:03 PM
WilsonKKW

tht is a handsome frog! I wish he was mine
Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 PM

OK Ms Piggie

Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
WilsonKKW

I wonder if it's true,.kissing frogs.....I need a prince..LOL

Old 14-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Ka30P

Jammer, if the bullfrog can't hunt down the crickets then it is sick and will
probably die.

The only other thing you could do is stick the bullfrog and the cricket at the
bottom of some container and let him have an easy cricket hunt.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 14-07-2004, 01:08 PM
jammer

*Ok, Kathy, thanks. I think i will let nature take it's course. I just feel bad for it,
* because i think someone had it held captive until it got too skinny and then let it go,
*and this enviroment wont let it fatten up i dont think. I did have a thought....
Last year i heard rats run across the back fence. Being hard up for
seeing critters, i put a piece of bread inside my fence and watched as
a rat took it. What if i put a piece of bread or several, where the
frog hangs out? Think he'd have a better chance of finding food?

~I always appreciate your replies.

Old 14-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Ka30P

Jammer wrote
What if i put a piece of bread or several, where the

frog hangs out? Think he'd have a better chance of finding food?

You can always try, he might catch a mouse.
You could also dig up a worm and give it to him.
Frogs need to see their dinner move to catch it so a nice wiggly worm might be
welcome.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 14-07-2004, 07:03 PM
WilsonKKW

tht is a handsome frog! I wish he was mine
Old 14-07-2004, 10:08 PM

Old 15-07-2004, 05:06 AM
jammer

Oh my! I would be toooo proud to hold the mascot!
LOL
I dont see him there tonight, but i am going to throw some bread out
where he usually hangs out and the next time i see him, i will know if
it worked. I'll kepp you posted and thanks!

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:31:22 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

Jammer, this is very interesting and your bullfrog may become the RP
mascot, so let us know how he does and what works for you. ~ jan

Jammer wrote

Old 18-07-2004, 07:02 PM
jammer

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:57:50 -0500, jammer wrote:

*I got a real good look at this bullfrog tonight. This thing is very

skinny. I dont see many
*rodents or snakes, etc, for it to feed on. What can i get to help it

that won't run off? What
*do i do?? I really dont want to try feeder fish because i am down

to 3 and i want to keep 3.

*Someone suggested throwing mice in the pond. I can't kill anything!!!!
Old 19-07-2004, 04:04 AM
Iris

We were quite tickled when a bullfrog showed up at our pond a couple
years ago. Then my fav fish ,a pretty Shubunkin
I called Studley went missing.We keep the pond netted because of cats.
Then I went out a day or so later & there was the frog with the back
part of a finch sticking out of his mouth. He had choked on it. So
mystery of Studley was solved. Iris

Operation: lady bullfrog Ka30P Ponds 18 14-04-2004 06:32 AM
Pond Supplies and Bullfrog Tadpoles Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts Texas 6 01-06-2003 10:56 PM
BullFrog eggs! D. S. Ponds 8 18-05-2003 02:56 AM
bullfrog range? Mike Sullivan Ponds 1 02-05-2003 03:45 AM
bullfrog John Rutz Ponds 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM