Old 16-07-2004, 03:02 AM
GrannyGrump

Default Wow! Skippy's filter really DOES work!

Hubby and I built a Skippy filter (many thanks to whomever posted the
URL!) last Saturday, and today we can see the bottom of the 3.5-4 foot
deep pond, even though the water is brownish from the barley straw
pellets I put in the veggie filter Sunday!

Oh joy! I can now see my fish!

Now, to build another one this weekend for my goldfish pond!
Old 16-07-2004, 10:02 AM
SkyCatcher

Hi,

Can you post a link to more information on the skippy - I seem to have
missed it from the group!

tia,

Sky

Old 16-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Grubber

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Old 16-07-2004, 01:02 PM
GrannyGrump

Can you post a link to more information on the skippy - I seem to have
missed it from the group!

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Tractor Supply has/had 110 gal watering hard plastic troughs for 35.99
Old 16-07-2004, 01:02 PM
SkyCatcher

Thanks folks for the links - now all I have to do is translate it into UK
equivalents (I don't think we have these rubbermaid tanks over here!

Old 16-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"SkyCatcher" wrote in message
Hi,

Can you post a link to more information on the skippy - I seem to have
missed it from the group!

snip

This DIY filter and more at
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/D...s/default.asp.

BV.

Old 16-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Newbie Bill

Hi Granny - Im sure you said somewhere, but what did you use for your
media?
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 16-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Crashj

"SkyCatcher" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Can you post a link to more information on the skippy - I seem to have
missed it from the group!

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...up%3Drec.ponds

230 hits.

If you need help on getting to google groups, just ask.

--
Crashj "and the hits just keep coming in"
Old 17-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Heather

Hi Granny:

We also just built a Skippy filter and started it up Monday night. My water
had been murky, only being able to see down maybe a foot. WOW this morning,
right to the bottom 4' down. I don't think the media is doing too much yet.
It must be the settling chamber. I do have a fine blanket filter as the top
filter media with WH in the very top.

Very impressed with this design.

Heather

Old 17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
San Diego Joe

"SkyCatcher" wrote:

Thanks folks for the links - now all I have to do is translate it into UK
equivalents (I don't think we have these rubbermaid tanks over here!

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message
Hubby and I built a Skippy filter (many thanks to whomever posted the
URL!) last Saturday, and today we can see the bottom of the 3.5-4 foot
deep pond, even though the water is brownish from the barley straw
pellets I put in the veggie filter Sunday!

Oh joy! I can now see my fish!

Now, to build another one this weekend for my goldfish pond!

You might try a place that sells agricultural stuff, like for horses.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
GrannyGrump

You might try a place that sells agricultural stuff, like for horses.

For the straw?
Old 17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
GrannyGrump

Hi Granny - Im sure you said somewhere, but what did you use for your
media?

Big scrubbies and small round dish scrubbers.

I will be posting pix soon on my web pages, and will post the URL here
for everyone to view.
Old 17-07-2004, 12:08 AM
GrannyGrump

Thanks folks for the links - now all I have to do is translate it into UK
equivalents (I don't think we have these rubbermaid tanks over here!

Any hard plastic or rubber water trough will work.

Old 17-07-2004, 02:04 AM
GrannyGrump

We also just built a Skippy filter and started it up Monday night. My water
had been murky, only being able to see down maybe a foot. WOW this morning,
right to the bottom 4' down. I don't think the media is doing too much yet.
It must be the settling chamber. I do have a fine blanket filter as the top
filter media with WH in the very top.

I am going to use quilt batting on top of the media in the one I buikd
for the goldfish pond...

I am very much impressed with this filter!
Old 17-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Grubber

"SkyCatcher" wrote in message
Thanks folks for the links - now all I have to do is translate it into UK
equivalents (I don't think we have these rubbermaid tanks over here!

I took the basic concept but used a hole in the ground with liner instead of
a tank. The pipe goes on top of the liner to the bottom, not through the
liner. The output flows into a stream to the pond. Works great.