Old 19-07-2004, 06:10 PM
k conover

Default filter cleaning

Just wondering if there was a general rule of thumb for how often to clean
out the pond filter. I've got a very simple pump immersed in a box that
has a bio filter (net bag filled with things that look like dish scrubbies
and plastic hair curlers in it), topped by a square 1" thick spongy pad that
sits inside the lid. I inherited this pond, which is why I don't know what
I've really got. I've been cleaning it when my water spitter starts to
get clogged and doesn't shoot up as high, but that's not very often. I
know you don't want to kill the "good" microbes, so how often is good?
Thanks,
Kirsten
(And to reiterate my other post--do I need to fertilize my water lilies to
get flowers?)

Old 19-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"k conover" wrote in message
snip
I've been cleaning it when my water spitter starts to
get clogged and doesn't shoot up as high, but that's not very often.

snip

You've answered your own question! That is a perfect indicator.

BV.

Old 19-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Pinkpggy

I've been cleaning it when my water spitter starts to
get clogged and doesn't shoot up as high, but that's not very often

Thats a good way to know when it needs cleaned.

And to reiterate my other post--do I need to fertilize my water lilies to
get flowers?)

Some say yes, and some say no. I for one say yes. But each pond is different
so everyone has to find the best thing to do with their own pond and plants.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html
Old 19-07-2004, 06:11 PM
San Diego Joe

"k conover" wrote:

(And to reiterate my other post--do I need to fertilize my water lilies to
get flowers?)

It sure helps! Water lilies are very big feeders. I feed mine at least
monthly and even more in mid summer. You can use tabs specifically designed
for pond plants, or you can use Job's tomato stakes (they are the correct
formulation)

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 19-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Ka30P

Kristen wrote Just wondering if there was a general rule of thumb for how
often to clean
out the pond filter.

Another thing is to watch the *ewww du pond* smell. If it is bad, you need to
clean earlier. If it smells like fresh river water you're okay and watching the
spitter is a good indication.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 19-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Newbie Bill

In a still wind, my pond always seems to have that slight fishy smell, not
sewer or sulfur like, just fish trip on your hands and clothes smell.
(Which I havent done for years, but remember) Yes my water parameters are
excellent and bottom pretty clean, but I do have slight concerns about
aneroabic (sp?) bacteria in one of my filters. It is just a storage tote
with a foam mattress pad stuffed in it. When I cleaned it, 2-3 months ago
now, there were folds with stinky gunk and blood worms. I have read passing
comments about dead spots in filters. Mine might be a candidate for that
since I did put a couple of 'path of least resistance pipes' near the bottom
to make sure it didnt gunk up, overflow and drain the pond. What u thank?
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 19-07-2004, 11:06 PM
matrix j

I clean mine every 3 months.
I drain my filter while gently shaking the media. I live in the deep
south and having a UV light has major advantages "no burning plants" and
"over heated water" but dead algae in the filter does build up after 3
months.

Old 19-07-2004, 11:07 PM
bluegill phil

I was cleaning my filters every 2 weeks and my water was green. I
added GRUBBER's venturis 2 weeks ago and my water has already cleared
up and when I went to clean my biofilters they were already clean. So
air made a big difference along with time, because my Nitrification
Cycle finally cycled. It took close to 5 months first the ammonia was
high then the nitrite, now it looks good and clear for the time being.

Old 20-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Ka30P

When we had mechanical media in our upflow filter we used black vinyl
screening.
It never went bad.
It did gunk up and last fall I had seepage over the back of the filter.
This year I didn't put it in and when the filter drained after the pump died
there was no gunk down there...
which means it is in the pond and we'll have more to clean out next spring.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 22-07-2004, 07:39 PM
matrix j

I clean mine every 3 months.
I drain my filter while gently shaking the media. I live in the deep
south and having a UV light has major advantages "no burning plants" and
"over heated water" but dead algae in the filter does build up after 3
months.

* FREE * Classified Ads for Vacuums ,Carpet Cleaning equipment, and Carpet Cleaning Vans and Vehicles Classifieds Webmaster Lawns 1 19-08-2004 12:43 PM
cleaning canister filter Barry Ponds 6 11-09-2003 02:39 AM
Bio-max vs nitrate PMDD was filter cleaning schedule... NetMax Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-05-2003 05:08 PM
Power filter media cleaning question RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
Cleaning Tetra cannister filter??? Barry Ponds 3 10-04-2003 05:08 AM