Old 19-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Lydia

Default how to make floaties stay put?

Any floating plants I have such as duckweed, azolea (sp), water hyacinths,
and frogbit all migrate to one side of the pond. I dunno - must be
something going on with the direction of the prevailing winds? Is there a
commonly used way to keep floating plants where you want them? I was
thinking of somehow attaching a small rock to the roots of the hyacinths and
then maybe try to latch or spread the other things on to the hyacinth. But
not sure how to attach a rock to suspended plant roots.

Thanks,
Lydia

Old 19-07-2004, 09:02 PM
RichToyBox

I put hyacinths in a hula hoop tied to the side of the pond where I want
them. You can either buy the fancy colored at wallyworld or make your own
with tubing and a dowel to connect the ends. Works great.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Shanda

"Lydia" wrote in message ...
Any floating plants I have such as duckweed, azolea (sp), water hyacinths,
and frogbit all migrate to one side of the pond. I dunno - must be
something going on with the direction of the prevailing winds? Is there a
commonly used way to keep floating plants where you want them? I was
thinking of somehow attaching a small rock to the roots of the hyacinths and
then maybe try to latch or spread the other things on to the hyacinth. But
not sure how to attach a rock to suspended plant roots.

Thanks,
Lydia

I came up with an idea tonight while at work,, based on the hula hoop
concept. Take some small diameter poly flow tubing,, any type will
do,,, clear, milky or black. Cut it to a length to form a circle that
would be the maximum diameter that you want to contain the plants in.
Put some fish safe silicone (RTV)in each end and let it dry (or
dowels). Then take 2 wire ties or tie wraps and secure them with the
tubing over lapped to the current size/diameter of your plants. As the
plants grow you can expand the circle. Teather the hoop to a rock or
what ever else is available with fish line or sting.
I made the hoop up and floated it in the bath tub when I got home,,,
seems to work good. Guess I'll find out in the morning when I put it
in!!

Shanda
Old 28-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Pinkpggy

With the hyacinth or lettuce you can put them in a plastic ring, and attach a
fishing weight to the ring and it should keep them in one spot. My hubby
bought some clear tubing from Home Depot, and put a connector in to make it a
ring. That way you can make the ring any size you want.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 28-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Crashj

"Lydia" wrote in message ...
Any floating plants I have such as duckweed, azolea (sp), water hyacinths,
and frogbit all migrate to one side of the pond.

Are you sure your pond is level? [sorry, just had to say it]

Floating fishing line is the least visible means of restraint.
--
Crashj