Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Keeping Purple (or black) Calocasia (?) over....

I mentioned before that we have several huge elephantear like Calocasia pond
plants. I may be remembering the name on the pot wrong. They're a deep
purple, almost black color and resemble Caladium's. The problem is they're
so huge now I have nowhere to keep them over for the winter as the sunroom
is now out-of-room. :-( How are you folks keeping them over? Do you dry
them off like regular Caladium's? So far I've kept them over in pails of
water because of all their fine water-roots but their increasing size is
making this impossible now. Any suggestions that really work?

Thanks....
--
Carol....
"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most

Old 29-07-2004, 01:58 AM
RichToyBox

The "Black Magic Taro" sounds like what you have. For my taro, which grows
to be about 200 to 300 pounds over the summer and then again over the
winter, (heated pond) I remove one of the plants that grows from the side as
a runner and start it over. The rest of the plant makes a one way trip to
the compost pile. It has jumped the pot and survives in the soil right at
the cover and now completely obscures one side of my pond. I have a major
job this fall to remove much of it, or I won't be able to get the cover on.
--
RichToyBox

Old 29-07-2004, 05:11 AM
~ Windsong ~

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
The "Black Magic Taro" sounds like what you have. For my taro, which

grows
to be about 200 to 300 pounds over the summer and then again over the
winter, (heated pond) I remove one of the plants that grows from the side

as
a runner and start it over.

* I lost another Taro (a green one) that way when it didn't survive the
winter indoors. Do you dry off the one you keep or keep it in water?

The rest of the plant makes a one way trip to
the compost pile.

* I would rather keep a few over if possible....

Old 30-07-2004, 01:39 AM
RichToyBox

My pond is heated and enclosed in a lean-to so the new taro plants stay in
the pond. The ones that jumped the pond last year were close enough to the
cover, part in, part out, that they would send leaves up outside the cover
and then the cold would burn them back. Happened several times over the
winter.

I don't know how well they would keep in the house in water, but I would
think that they would do alright near a window or sliding glass door, where
they could get plenty of light.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-07-2004, 02:29 AM
~ Windsong ~

My pond is heated and enclosed in a lean-to so the new taro plants stay in
the pond. The ones that jumped the pond last year were close enough to

the
cover, part in, part out, that they would send leaves up outside the cover
and then the cold would burn them back. Happened several times over the
winter.

I don't know how well they would keep in the house in water, but I would
think that they would do alright near a window or sliding glass door,

where
they could get plenty of light.

=====================
Yes they will, but I no longer have the ROOM for them in my sun-room.
They're very large plants now. That's the problem and why I'm asking how
others are keeping them alive over the winter in colder climates. I'm in
zone 6 and can't afford to make covers and heat the ponds. I wanted to know
if they can be dried off or how others keep them over.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:29 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:29:57 -0500, "~ Windsong ~" wrote:

I no longer have the ROOM for them in my sun-room.
They're very large plants now.

I keep mine in a bucket of water, but I remove the majority of the foliage
before debugging & bringing them in, so bugs don't come with them.

My palm plant that becomes huge once outside, I only bring in a small
portion to hold over. So maybe this would work for you? Take off a small
portion and get rid of the rest before bringing in?

Unless, I've misunderstood, and you're looking for help on how to expand
your sun-room cheaply. Totally out of my league of help. ) ~ jan

Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 AM
~ Windsong ~

wrote:

I no longer have the ROOM for them in my sun-room.
They're very large plants now.

I keep mine in a bucket of water, but I remove the majority of the foliage
before debugging & bringing them in, so bugs don't come with them.

# I noticed that spider-mites love them indoors. I used to keep them over
in buckets as well but geeze,... they're HUGE now.

My palm plant that becomes huge once outside, I only bring in a small
portion to hold over. So maybe this would work for you? Take off a small
portion and get rid of the rest before bringing in?

# Even the small portions are HUGE. I assume they can't be dried off for
winter like elephant ears and caladium's then? I dry these off and they
spend the winter in the utility room.

Unless, I've misunderstood, and you're looking for help on how to expand
your sun-room cheaply. Totally out of my league of help. ) ~ jan

# Nah,... it's large enough. ;-) The plant family are outgrowing the
space.
--
Carol....

Old 03-08-2004, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:04:53 -0500, "~ Windsong ~" wrote:

# Even the small portions are HUGE. I assume they can't be dried off for
winter like elephant ears and caladium's then? I dry these off and they
spend the winter in the utility room.

Actually I think they can. I've just never tried that. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~