Old 31-07-2004, 06:48 AM
GoldLexus

Default Help Construction=Dirty water!

Our pond has been reasonably clear until this week when construction started
up on the hill behind us. Anyone have and suggestions? OR are we out of luck
until construction is over (in about 4 years!)? The pond tries to clear up
at night, we are able to see the fish at least by the morning but once
construction starts up the water is so bad you can't see the fish unless
they are really close to the surface. GRRRR I hate progress! If anyone can
suggest how we can get it at least a little bit clearer I would be forever
grateful.
Thanks!
btw. We have an activated charcoal filter....we rinse the filter (3 bags of
charcoal) only once a season (we use a different pump/filter for winter)
would cleaning the filter help? Are we suppose to replace the charcoal after
a period of time or is rinsing it all we need to do? This is an inherited
pond so we are learning how to care for it.

Old 31-07-2004, 01:01 PM
George

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
[...]

In most states construiction crews are required to erect silt fences to prevent
blowing dust from affecting nearby streams and/or proproties. If this has not
been done, and you have a dust problem related to a construction site, I would
recommend that you contact the consultant on the project and complain about it.
If you do not get a satisfactory resolution, then you should contact your state
environmental protection agency and file a formal complaint. The expressway near
my home is undergoing a $300 million renovation which should last until the end
of next year. The construction company has erected silt fences to prevent dust
from blowing into our neighborhood. It apears to be fairly effective, because
we don't see a lot of dust resulting from the construction work.

Old 31-07-2004, 05:09 PM
GoldLexus

How would a slit screen help with air born dirt? I have never seen a slit
screen so I am asking out of ignorance.
The construction is on a hill behind us with a road between us and the hill.
I know they are suppose to keep the site watered down but they are not
consistant with that either. I have called once (last summer) when they
started cutting into the hill to make a road. This summer they are making
streets off that road than will begin home construction. After that is done
they will be widening the road right behind us.
One thing we've tried was AccuClear, we had reasonably clear (not perfect
but better than it was) water for about a day Can't put that stuff in
everyday too expensive and probably not real good for the pond and fish on a
daily basis.

Old 31-07-2004, 06:04 PM
George

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
news
How would a slit screen help with air born dirt? I have never seen a slit
screen so I am asking out of ignorance.

A silt fence prevents dust from blowing off of a contruction site onto adjacent
property. This really is something that the construction company is likely to
be required to do. Nearly all states require dust control at construction sites.
If they aren't doing it, you should file a complaint, and keep complaining until
the issue is resolved. I know I would. But that's just me.

Here is a picture of a typical silt fence:

http://www.b4ubuild.com/photos/footing/foot_007.html

Although it says it is for muddy runoff, it is also used to help minimize
wind-blown dust. In addition, they should water down the site regularly. Your
state air pollution regulators should have some information that will help you
deal with the issue.

The construction is on a hill behind us with a road between us and the hill.
I know they are suppose to keep the site watered down but they are not
consistant with that either. I have called once (last summer) when they
started cutting into the hill to make a road. This summer they are making
streets off that road than will begin home construction. After that is done
they will be widening the road right behind us.
One thing we've tried was AccuClear, we had reasonably clear (not perfect
but better than it was) water for about a day Can't put that stuff in
everyday too expensive and probably not real good for the pond and fish on a
daily basis.

I wouldn't be using a product like that except under exceptional circumstances,
certainly not on a regular basis.

Old 31-07-2004, 06:21 PM
GoldLexus

Thanks for the link. Yes they have a slit fence up but further down the hill
from where they are actually working.
I agree regarding the accuclear, we don't want to use it on a regular basis.
But would like to figure something out to keep our pond from looking like a
mud puddle. All that dirt can't be good for the fish.
Our deck furniture is also a hideous mess! Goodness I hate this!
"George" wrote in message

news

Old 01-08-2004, 01:54 AM
RichToyBox

Some on here use filters with quilt batting, which is pretty effective at
removing fine debris. It can be gotten at WallyWorld. It will clog fairly
quickly and is not easy to clean, but it is that easy to clog, that makes it
work. I think it is fairly cheap. Maybe one of them will jump in with the
details.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-08-2004, 02:15 AM
GoldLexus

Sounds like might work but maybe not for our filter. Our filter is one of
those pressure filters. It has a gage on top to tell us how many psi are
going thru' we usually get about 5 psi which might really do a number with
quilt batting. Is there some along the same track that could hold up against
the pressure in the filter? I do think that is what we need something that
will hold on to the really fine debris like dust. Any suggestions on
something to in between the charcoal bags?
We hope to get a different filter some time. This filter is a pain, easy to
take apart but a bugger to get sealed up so it doesn't leak! That is why we
don't rinse off the charcoal sacks very often.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:20 AM
RichToyBox

Try putting a tub full of the quilt batting at the discharge of the pump, on
top of the waterfall, or wherever the water leaves the pipe to go back into
the pond.Allow the water to drain through the batting and exit through the
bottom of the tub.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Nedra

GoldLexus, Don't fret over the health of your fish! The muddy water is
actually
good for them ... and Koi at least, much prefer muddy water. The Japanese
grow their Koi out in muddy water.
I do realize that you want to see your fish. Just thought I'd ease your
mind

Nedra

Old 01-08-2004, 03:22 AM
GoldLexus

Thanks Nedra that does easy my mind! I was worried that all this dirt would
harm them.
We would like to see them some time. We don't mind a little cloudiness but
right now it is ridiculous!
I am going to try what Rich suggested to help reduce some of the dirt.
Crossing my fingers to see all my fish again soon!

ink.net...