Old 02-08-2004, 04:26 AM
GeeBee

Default Broke-Not Cheap

Title says it all. Several lay-offs, each time found job paying less than
the one before. But, I do have a job, at least. Problem is, having less
income means cut backs on non essentials, such as my little pond. Therefore,
every purchase must be maximized. I'm becoming one heck of a
do-it-yourselfer.
Nelson's in Katy has things I want, plants, skimmer, etc that make me
drool, prices make me weep. Internet leary, got stung on Ebay, any good
safe online stores? Where, near Katy, in and near Houston, Texas, is the
best place to shop for plants and other pond stuff?

Old 02-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:26:21 GMT, "GeeBee" wrote:

Title says it all. Several lay-offs, each time found job paying less than
the one before. But, I do have a job, at least. Problem is, having less
income means cut backs on non essentials, such as my little pond. Therefore,
every purchase must be maximized. I'm becoming one heck of a
do-it-yourselfer.
Nelson's in Katy has things I want, plants, skimmer, etc that make me
drool, prices make me weep. Internet leary, got stung on Ebay, any good
safe online stores? Where, near Katy, in and near Houston, Texas, is the
best place to shop for plants and other pond stuff?

Hang in there GeeBee, I've been outsourced for a couple years now and
that trend continues. The eight years of Bill Clinton's strong
economy are long gone !
Old 02-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Gail Futoran

"GeeBee" wrote in message
. ..
Title says it all. Several lay-offs, each time found job

paying less than
the one before. But, I do have a job, at least. Problem

is, having less
income means cut backs on non essentials, such as my

little pond. Therefore,
every purchase must be maximized. I'm becoming one heck of

do-it-yourselfer.
Nelson's in Katy has things I want, plants, skimmer,

etc that make me
drool, prices make me weep. Internet leary, got stung on

Ebay, any good
safe online stores? Where, near Katy, in and near

Houston, Texas, is the
best place to shop for plants and other pond stuff?

I live near San Antonio, not Houston, so I don't
know suppliers where you are. But it would help
ponders give you advice if you describe your pond:
size - including approximate depth;
stock - fish? if so, number & kind;
equipment already in place - fountain? filter?;
existing plants - if any.

I have three small-ish "ponds", 2 stock tanks,
1 in-ground pond. Only one of the stock tanks
has any kind of electricity running to it - for a
fountain/filter - because I have goldfish in
there. The other ponds have only minnows
and whatever else shows up. Lots of plants
help keep them in balance. Cost: very little,
over the long haul. If you do need to buy a
pump, buy the best you can afford. It's better
in the long term (lasts longer, uses less
electricity). Do a google newsgroups search
on pumps for more information:
http://groups.google.com/
Use advanced search and specify *aquaria
for the newsgroup.

Have you checked on local (Houston or Katy)
koi/water garden societies? Many ponders
have plants they can give away - I certainly
do! - and that could be a free source of plants
for you. They could also help with equipment
information and sources. A general google
search can help with that.

Gail

Old 02-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Newbie Bill

I would second Gail's suggestion about the plants. In little ol Austin we
have a pond society bulletin board. Actually has very little activity but
frequently they are giving away plants for pickup. Just today I responded
to one for a tropical lily. If they have something similar in the big H I
would suspect you can get all the plants you want maybe just not the
variety. www.lonestarkoi.com (Houston) might be a good place to start. I
have used www.azponds.com several times for equipment. I dont believe their
prices and shipping can be beat, if they have what you want. Good luck with
your pond and more importantly with your work situation.
Bill Brister

Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 PM

One of the best wholesale to the public websites that is safe and
secure is
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
and
www.bestpondstuff.com
You don't have to worry about being broke, and many of their items
include FREE shipping.

I hope this helps,
Norman