Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM
~ Windsong ~

Default floating plants

"pete" wrote in message
I have a small (250 gallon) pond, with an approximately 10 gallon

upper
pond, that feeds water down a waterfall into the main pond. In the past I
have used water hyacinths in the upper pond to "strain' the water, and it
has worked well. Are there other floating plants that could be used in the
same way - just for a little variety?

===============================
Water lettuce is nice. I use it in my settling tank. They get huge.
--
Carol....
"How come wrong numbers are never busy?"

Old 05-08-2004, 02:56 AM
BenignVanilla

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"pete" wrote in message
I have a small (250 gallon) pond, with an approximately 10 gallon

upper
pond, that feeds water down a waterfall into the main pond. In the past

have used water hyacinths in the upper pond to "strain' the water, and

it
has worked well. Are there other floating plants that could be used in

the
same way - just for a little variety?

===============================
Water lettuce is nice. I use it in my settling tank. They get huge.

snip

The WH are the better plant for filtering. The roots are much denser then
the lettuce, but the lettuce are a close second. Ingrid has had great
success with water celery. That would work too. Watercress is cheap, and
also grows very dense in moving water.

BV.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Candleman

GD wrote in message . ..
American spongeplant, aka frog's-bit (Limnobium spongia). I find it
to be as effective as waterhyacinth or waterlettuce in nutrient
abatement, more attractive, and am especially fond of the fact that
it is native (and legal) in my area (Texas). Added bonus: it
overwinters just fine in north Texas, and begins work outcompeting
algae about a month earlier than the exotics.

GD

I'm in the Dallas area and am interested in where I can obtain the
American spongeplant. Any suggestions? As you say, everything else is
illegal.