Old 03-08-2004, 06:44 AM
Grumpy

Default azponds ?

Has anyone delt with these guys? Prices seem reasonable.

Old 03-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Grumpy

I talked to them today, no problem what so ever. I'm trying to give
local shops my business, but their prices make it hard, even with
shipping. So far I'm saving at least a couple hundred dollars with just
the pump and liner, I haven't priced filters yet. I'm still trying to
understand what the best method is. Problem is, I've talked to 10
different people, and gotten 10 different filtration methods including
no filter at all. So I'm still on the hunt. Here is the "hole" I have so
far:
http://home.comcast.net/~grumpy232/pondpage.htm
I'll take any recommendations. I will have koi. Thanks
p.s. I'm saving over 1,000 dollars compared to one of the shops, pays to
shop around!

Charles wrote:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 05:44:04 GMT, Grumpy wrote:

Has anyone delt with these guys? Prices seem reasonable.

I did. I got what I ordered, when they said they would send it, all
okay. I'd deal with them again.

I have read that they are hard to get a hold of if you need to talk to
them, I didn't, so that's just what I've read.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Charles

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 06:31:51 GMT, Grumpy wrote:

I talked to them today, no problem what so ever. I'm trying to give
local shops my business, but their prices make it hard, even with
shipping. So far I'm saving at least a couple hundred dollars with just
the pump and liner, I haven't priced filters yet. I'm still trying to
understand what the best method is. Problem is, I've talked to 10
different people, and gotten 10 different filtration methods including
no filter at all. So I'm still on the hunt. Here is the "hole" I have so
far:
http://home.comcast.net/~grumpy232/pondpage.htm
I'll take any recommendations. I will have koi. Thanks
p.s. I'm saving over 1,000 dollars compared to one of the shops, pays to
shop around!

Your setup looks really nice. What I know about Koi filters is "use
lots of filtration."

From the picture it's not clear how sturdy the cement blocks are.
They won't shift over time, will they? the wooden fence shouldn't be
counted on for support, I think.

Someone else mentioned Cal-pumps. the water garden place I frequent
has stopped carrying them, too much bother. He is a strong believer
in Pond master. The PM pumps I've used work well.

I don't mean to be negative about what you are doing, I worked as a
technician most of my life and my tendency is to look for things that
might go wrong and try to see what can be done to prevent problems.
I caused a lot of people a lot of grief along the way.

:-)

--

- Charles
-
Old 03-08-2004, 01:30 PM
chagoi

Grumpy wrote:
Here is the "hole" I have so far:
http://home.comcast.net/~grumpy232/pondpage.htm
I'll take any recommendations. I will have koi. Thanks
p.s. I'm saving over 1,000 dollars compared to one of the shops, pays to
shop around!

One question on the "after" picture Grumpy.
http://home.comcast.net/~grumpy232/davespond.jpg

How'd you get the moss to stick to the walls?
You've seemed to have mastered it better than I have. :-)
http://ourkoipond.com/Image57.jpg

--
/\/\ike
Chagoi
Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Charles

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 15:02:49 GMT, Grumpy wrote:

snip

Your setup looks really nice. What I know about Koi filters is "use
lots of filtration."

I plan on a uv, bio, and mechanical (gravel?)

Gravel - never again. I used lava rock, it worked well until time to
clean it out, I wore my fingers down a bit. I'd go with one of the
plastic media things. Are there koi shops around your area? check
with them as to what they use, not what they sell.

I just have goldfish and water lilies, nowhere near as elaborate as
what you have planned.

From the picture it's not clear how sturdy the cement blocks are.
They won't shift over time, will they? the wooden fence shouldn't be
counted on for support, I think.

Cemented and rebarbed with a gap from the fence

I don't mean to be negative about what you are doing, I worked as a
technician most of my life and my tendency is to look for things that
might go wrong and try to see what can be done to prevent problems.
I caused a lot of people a lot of grief along the way.

I'm known as a technician in my field. When things break, a lot of
people tend to get annoyed, mainly the passengers inside the airplane.
:-)

--

- Charles
-

Old 04-08-2004, 09:13 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

That may be true. I had no problem getting support. I just felt they were a
bit patronizing about my expressed concerns about the mechanical filtering
abilities of the little laguna box filter I bought. The corporate add did
say ' and the water comes out sparkling clean on the other end'. Perhaps he
was just a little reluctant to address my naivete and inexperience and say
"Well Bill there is just so much bio AND mechanical filtering you can expect
from a retail $75 filter." I just wrote it off as part of the learning
experience. After all thats one of the things that led me to finding you
guys. A small price to pay for such rich rewards
Bill

Well ya see, Bill, you missed the fine (invisible) print behind the *water
comes out sparkling clean on the other end,* which said, "when used on the
smaller range and low to no fish stock water garden." ;o)

Just how many gallons of pond did the filter claim it would filter? How big
is your pond? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 04-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Newbie Bill

My pond is a 800 gallons of delight. I am sure it claimed to do that or I
wouldnt have gotten it. On my last pair of glasses I did not pay for the
invisible print filter, so maybe that was the problem. My first big clue
that it was not heavy of mechanical was when I put a small piece of cotton
batting on top of the coarse filets and it stopped considerably more.
Bill