Old 17-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Jabba" wrote:

Or all large multi-nationals are evil organisations that would burn there
employees if given half a chance :-)

And there are evil employees who steal from their employer and would
steal more from their employers if give half a chance. AT&T and many
other companies will not through used equipment in the trash because
employees would through out things they wanted and pick them out of the
dumpster after work. Instead they have a salvage procedure and have an
agreement with a salvage agent who either pays or is paid to haul the
equipment away. This cuts down considerably on waste. When employees
benefit from waste, there is a lot more of it.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 17-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

That sounds like poor management to me as much as dishonest employees. As
for places like Wal-Mart - that wouldn't apply. They are not the ones who
order the pond and garden merchandise for the stores.

But the employees are the ones who can make sure merchandise doesn't
sell by hiding price tags, putting it in poor locations where no one
sees it, bad mouthing things they don't want to sell, leaving it in the
stock room or storage trailer, etc.

Old 17-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Jabba

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
"Jabba" wrote:

Or all large multi-nationals are evil organisations that would burn

there
employees if given half a chance :-)

And there are evil employees who steal from their employer and would
steal more from their employers if give half a chance. AT&T and many
other companies will not through used equipment in the trash because
employees would through out things they wanted and pick them out of the
dumpster after work. Instead they have a salvage procedure and have an
agreement with a salvage agent who either pays or is paid to haul the
equipment away. This cuts down considerably on waste. When employees
benefit from waste, there is a lot more of it.

I think you missed the :-) in my post or didn't read my other post.

Old 18-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Lydia

I used to work at Barnes & Noble. During peak retail times publishers would
send us extra copies of books thought to be in higher demand in the "mass
market" format - that's the smaller size paperbacks. After said peak season
ended and we had leftovers, the cover would be torn off and sent back to the
publisher who would give the company credit for what they didn't sell. The
staff were allowed to take 1 or 2 titles w/o their front covers home, but
the rest were torn up into small sections of book and thrown in the
dumpster! Surely those could have been donated to a charity organization or
something. I always hated that.

Although, I'm sure a return of a book w/o a cover would not have been
allowed, I wouldn't have been surprised to see someone go through our
dumpster and try it. We had a guy one time who collected receipts people
had thrown away from the trash can outside the front of the store. He went
down the street to Kinko's who happened to have VERY similar paper as our
receipt paper. He cut the receipts up and pasted them together into one big
receipt and copied it. The Kinko's manager thought that was mighty
suspicious and called us at the store to let us know what to watch for.
Sure enough, this guy comes into our store, picks the books we had in stock
that were on the receipt, off of our shelves and went up to the cashier to
ask for a refund. He ran away when we told him we knew what he had done.

I know that doesn't apply to the WalMart thing, but just reminded me of my
little stories. I agree that it seems awfully wasteful of WalMart to just
toss them and would seem harmless to let people take them for free if they
were just going in the dumpster.

Lydia

"Roy" wrote in message
Was at Wal MArt today and happened to see a heap of preformed ponds
setting on a pallet outside the garden section. (15 total preformed)
I looked at them and there were two sizes / shapes, both relatively
large in size, but no price on them..I inquired inside on how much
they were, (actually hoping they may be discounted for clearance) and
no one inside could tell me what the story was, so they called
management. Management came and I asked about the preformed ponds
outside and how much they were. I was promptly told they were not for
sale and were to be trashed.....and then.........She promptly
reminded the assocate there to make sure they were cut in two before
they got thrown in the large construction dumpster out
back...........

Only in America.......where excess bountiful materials and goods are
trashed before selling.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 18-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Ka30P

Lydia wrote
After said peak season

ended and we had leftovers, the cover would be torn off and sent back to the
publisher who would give the company credit for what they didn't sell. The
staff were allowed to take 1 or 2 titles w/o their front covers home, but
the rest were torn up into small sections of book and thrown in the
dumpster! Surely those could have been donated to a charity organization or
something.

Okay, I actually know something about this.
If all those books were donated, intact or with covers torn off, to charities
or libraries then it is also the author whose work is
donated away and the author would not get paid for it.
Like a company obligating you, with no input, to work 50 hours for a charity
and not paying you for your work.
Speaking as a starving writer ;-)
(just as way of illustration, certainly not in fact!)

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 18-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Crashj

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

That to me is just pure corporate greed! I bet they claimed a LOSS to
theft/damage and still made a profit, or broke even on these preformed

ponds
rather than let someone enjoy them.

C'mon, nothing like that devious an approach is required. I am sure Wal-Mart
is self insured for employee/customer theft, so there is no insurance
company to be defrauded in this case.
As far as writing off the inventory, of course they do. Profit is what taxes
are assessed on, so profit = sales-expense.
If Wal-mart does not make a profit the who are the ultimate losers? The
customer, that's who. That would be you and me.
--
Crashj

Old 18-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Crashj

"Lydia" wrote in message
I used to work at Barnes & Noble.

trim tale of evil rip off artist
Sure enough, this guy comes into our store, picks the books we had in

stock
that were on the receipt, off of our shelves and went up to the cashier to
ask for a refund. He ran away when we told him we knew what he had done.

By now you understand the cost of the book as an object is a minor part of
the expected revenue to the owners of the intellectual property, so I hope
that point is well made.
As for the rip off artists, Wal-mart is the target of the largest organized
group of thieves in the world, and it is not the mafia. The mafia stays in
one place, these are the travelers.
--
Crashj

Old 18-08-2004, 02:34 AM
HA HA Budys Here

From: "Stephen M. Henning"

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

That sounds like poor management to me as much as dishonest employees. As
for places like Wal-Mart - that wouldn't apply. They are not the ones who
order the pond and garden merchandise for the stores.

But the employees are the ones who can make sure merchandise doesn't
sell by hiding price tags, putting it in poor locations where no one
sees it, bad mouthing things they don't want to sell, leaving it in the
stock room or storage trailer, etc.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Walmart doesn't have a stockroom. Managers, if doing their job, make sure the
merchandise is in the proper display in it's proper place. (Entire stores are
plan-o-grammed) They're not on commission and most are eligable for either
welfare, food stamps or both. Store security and cameras are there not so much
to deter customer theft, but employee theft. When such radical measures are
needed by the worlds largest and most profitable corporation against it's own
employees one has to wonder why.