Old 18-08-2004, 04:10 AM
SVTKate

AND...
the stuff gets used instead of winding up in the landfill :-)

Kate

Old 18-08-2004, 04:23 AM
news.pcisys.net

That is just plain stupid! :-(((( Why would they not sell them to you
at cost???? Bummer

Roy wrote:

Was at Wal MArt today and happened to see a heap of preformed ponds
setting on a pallet outside the garden section. (15 total preformed)
I looked at them and there were two sizes / shapes, both relatively
large in size, but no price on them..I inquired inside on how much
they were, (actually hoping they may be discounted for clearance) and
no one inside could tell me what the story was, so they called
management. Management came and I asked about the preformed ponds
outside and how much they were. I was promptly told they were not for
sale and were to be trashed.....and then.........She promptly
reminded the assocate there to make sure they were cut in two before
they got thrown in the large construction dumpster out
back...........

Only in America.......where excess bountiful materials and goods are
trashed before selling.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 18-08-2004, 04:39 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

That sounds like poor management to me as much as dishonest employees.

As
for places like Wal-Mart - that wouldn't apply. They are not the ones

who
order the pond and garden merchandise for the stores.

But the employees are the ones who can make sure merchandise doesn't
sell by hiding price tags, putting it in poor locations where no one
sees it, bad mouthing things they don't want to sell, leaving it in the
stock room or storage trailer, etc.

=========================
Again you have a *management* problem then. Where is the store MANAGER and
ass't manager? It's their job to know what's in the store room and
trailers. The Wal-Marts and K-Marts here are set up in such a way that
hiding merchandise is almost impossible. As for discouraging sales....
I've seldom had anyone in any of these stores do that. And the employees
come and go so fast it can't possibly make a difference in the amount sold
or not sold. The Lowe's here marks things down to unreal prices to move
them in late summer. I paid 25¢ for beautiful hanging baskets of
impatience and some other type of flower. The hanging baskets alone are
worth over $1.49. The mini rose bushes were only 50¢ to a $1.00 each. I
bough some large beautiful blooming angelwing begonias in fancy large pots
for 50¢ each. There is nowhere the employees could be involved in all the
stock that didn't sell over the summer. I'm not saying some employees
aren't dishonest as I'm sure some are - but most left over merchandise is
not the fault of the employees.
Giving damaged or broken merchandise to employees is another matter. I can
see them "damaging" something so they can get it for free or dirt cheap -
but leftover ponds, shrubs, trees and plants???
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If athletes get athletes foot, do astronauts get mistletoe?"

Old 18-08-2004, 04:45 AM
~ Windsong ~

From: "Stephen M. Henning"

"~ Windsong ~" wrote:

That sounds like poor management to me as much as dishonest employees.

As
for places like Wal-Mart - that wouldn't apply. They are not the ones

who
order the pond and garden merchandise for the stores.

But the employees are the ones who can make sure merchandise doesn't
sell by hiding price tags, putting it in poor locations where no one
sees it, bad mouthing things they don't want to sell, leaving it in the
stock room or storage trailer, etc.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Walmart doesn't have a stockroom. Managers, if doing their job, make sure

the
merchandise is in the proper display in it's proper place. (Entire stores

are
plan-o-grammed) They're not on commission and most are eligable for either
welfare, food stamps or both. Store security and cameras are there not so

much
to deter customer theft, but employee theft. When such radical measures

are
needed by the worlds largest and most profitable corporation against it's

own
employees one has to wonder why.

==================================
Allow me to guess. They pay them PEANUTS! They give them no benefits and
they work abominable hours plus most weekends. They're not appreciated and
they know it. I can't think of a worse place to work than one of these
discount stores. Maybe if they paid a living wage there wouldn't be so much
theft.

The turnover at our local Wal-Mart is constant. You seldom see the same
face more than twice.

Old 18-08-2004, 04:45 AM
~ Windsong ~

Old 18-08-2004, 04:50 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Jabba" wrote in message

There is no GREED when you get or look for a bargain. A bargain

benefits
BOTH sides, not just one side. The items are sold cheaply and the store
doesn't take a loss, or worse yet, dishonestly claim a loss from their
insurance Co. The person gets a good deal on the item and saves money

that
they're usually end up spending in the same store on something else.

What would you describe it as then?

==================================
I would describe it as CAREFUL and WISE shopping. Since I retired some
years ago I seldom buy anything unless it's on sale. Why should I not do
this? The store is still making money on my purchases, or at least
breaking even. Isn't this society wasteful enough as it is?

'they're usually end up spending in the same store on something else' any

proof of this - LOL

Proof of what? You must be a stockholder.... LOL!!! :-D

Old 18-08-2004, 04:51 AM
~ Windsong ~

"SVTKate" wrote in message
nk.net...
There's an old saying that I try to live by.

"Waste Not, want not."

Chances are it's not the greed of a good deal, but the financial economics
of it.

==========================
EXACTLY!!!! :-)

Old 18-08-2004, 05:00 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Crashj" wrote in message
k.net...
"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

That to me is just pure corporate greed! I bet they claimed a LOSS to
theft/damage and still made a profit, or broke even on these preformed

ponds
rather than let someone enjoy them.

C'mon, nothing like that devious an approach is required. I am sure

Wal-Mart
is self insured for employee/customer theft, so there is no insurance
company to be defrauded in this case.

## You just mentioned the INSURED employees! You can tell me these stores
don't carry general theft insurance. Someone is PAYING for the ponds cut up
and tossed out, along with all the things from the greenhouse that are
dumped in a huge pile behind the building for the trash truck.

As far as writing off the inventory, of course they do. Profit is what

taxes
are assessed on, so profit = sales-expense.
If Wal-mart does not make a profit the who are the ultimate losers?

## I still say the insurance companies. Either them or the company they
bought the merchandise from. Does anyone know for sure that Wally World
EATS these losses? I'm only going by what I heard over the years from
people who worked there (and K-Mart). It's still a selfish self-interested
act on their part. Lowe's and HD mark things down as much 75% or more, and
people love it - I don't see these places going under and it's good PR.

The
customer, that's who. That would be you and me.

## Yep, us too.......

Crashj

Old 18-08-2004, 05:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
Most merchandise in stores like WalMart, Kmart and the likes of Home

Depot,
Lowes, is on consignment from the manufacturer. That's why the stores

don't
care. Whatever doesn't sell, the arrangement with the manufacturer

(especially
seasonally sensitive merchandise) is to destroy it. It's cheaper than

sending
it back to the manufacturer and warehousing it.

What a waste....