Old 19-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Crashj

"D.S." wrote in message
Have YOU ever worked retail?

Kate said:
Retail is allot harder than it looks from the customer's side of the

counter.

I am a manager of a convenience store.

Employee theft counts for 80% of store losses.

Boy, Howdy. I used to run a cell phone store selling prepaid service. Let me
tell you, employee theft was a big issue. One of the girls got stolen three
times in one week. Cute girl, too. Never did find her the last time.
--
Crashj

Old 19-08-2004, 04:02 AM
Ka30P

Crashj wrote One of the girls got stolen three
times in one week. Cute girl, too.

you are too evil ;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 19-08-2004, 04:10 AM
SVTKate

I gave up retail management several years ago.
Corporate was the reason, that and my feet were killing me.

Perhaps if you walk a mile in a retail employee's shoes you won't be so
quick to spout off.
Yep, there are employees that goof off. You get it in every line of work.
The percentage of people that look down on customer service personnel in is
much too high.

I do not know if you have ever worked customer service, but again, I suggest
that those of you that condemn them walk a mile in the other guy's shoes.
The treatment received from all sides is difficult to deal with. Eventually
you have to fight to prevent becoming calloused. The working people are not
fond of the goof offs either but corporate makes it very difficult to get
rid of them.

Kate

Old 19-08-2004, 04:10 AM
SVTKate

Old 19-08-2004, 04:11 AM
SVTKate

"D.S." wrote

A kindred spirit .. thanks DS!
Kate

Old 19-08-2004, 04:11 AM
SVTKate

"D.S." wrote

A kindred spirit .. thanks DS!
Kate

Old 19-08-2004, 04:17 AM
Crashj

"SVTKate" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Perhaps if you walk a mile in a retail employee's shoes you won't be so
quick to spout off.

My Pappy always used to say, "Before you complain about someone, walk a mile
in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes."
--
Crashj "who has been on both sides of the counter and in the back room"
Johnson

Old 19-08-2004, 04:19 AM
SVTKate

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

| =========================
| Again you have a *management* problem then. Where is the store MANAGER
and
| ass't manager?

They are
Putting out fires.. Corporate, customer, employee
Doing the 20" stack of paperwork
Doing payroll
Going to the bank
Attending required confrence calls
Helping to unload trucks
Tracking down lost orders
Making sure that credits are issued for shrink
Training empolyees
Helping customers
Helping Employees
Employee reviews...
Shall I continue?

It's their job to know what's in the store room and
| trailers. The Wal-Marts and K-Marts here are set up in such a way that
| hiding merchandise is almost impossible.

Stealing from a big store would be easy if someone wanted to.
I'm not a thief, I like to sleep at night.
At Staples there were employees actually getting away with stealing
computers and digital cameras right off the shelf. Everyone was watching and
they finally caught the guys doing it.

As for discouraging sales....
| I've seldom had anyone in any of these stores do that. And the employees
| come and go so fast it can't possibly make a difference in the amount sold
| or not sold. The Lowe's here marks things down to unreal prices to move
| them in late summer. I paid 25¢ for beautiful hanging baskets of
| impatience and some other type of flower. The hanging baskets alone are
| worth over $1.49. The mini rose bushes were only 50¢ to a $1.00 each. I
| bough some large beautiful blooming angelwing begonias in fancy large pots
| for 50¢ each. There is nowhere the employees could be involved in all the
| stock that didn't sell over the summer. I'm not saying some employees
| aren't dishonest as I'm sure some are - but most left over merchandise is
| not the fault of the employees.
| Giving damaged or broken merchandise to employees is another matter. I
can
| see them "damaging" something so they can get it for free or dirt cheap -
| but leftover ponds, shrubs, trees and plants???

The plants just befuddle me. Why would they choose to let something die and
return it for credit rather than mark it down and let it find a home. I hate
to see dying plants.

Kate

Old 19-08-2004, 04:19 AM
SVTKate

Old 19-08-2004, 04:20 AM
SVTKate

*rolling her eyes*
sorry for the typos guys.. my fingers have gotten pretty clumsy.
that should have been "couple"
Kate

"SVTKate" wrote in message
nk.net...
| I worked at Staples for a cuple of years.
| They had a policy of literally trashing (hammering it to smithereens)
| anything that was returned (after they got their credit from the
| manufacturer) if it was not in a package.
| The reason for this was so that people would not fish thngs back out of
the
| dumpster and then try to return it without a receipt.
|
| It seemed silly, but still made sense.
|
| Kate
|
| "~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
| |
| | "Crashj" wrote in message
| | hlink.net...
| | "Jabba" wrote in message
| | Somebody reported:
| | ## Wal-Mart used to sell off all their plants and trees (very
| | reasonably)
| | late in the season. You could get great deals. Then one of the
long
| | time
| | employee there told me they stopped that! They now trash them
| rather
| | than
| | mark them down.
| |
| | What's the difference between your greed to get a bargain and the
| stock
| | holders greed?
| |
| | Friend ran a chicken place where the employees were not allowed to
take
| | home
| | leftover chicken at closing, it went into the dumpster. Why? Simple,
| when
| | they allowed it there was ALWAYS a full fryer at the end of the day.
| Maybe
| | Wal-mart is protecting the stockholders from the associates?
| | --
| | Crashj
| | ===================================
| | That sounds like poor management to me as much as dishonest employees.
As
| | for places like Wal-Mart - that wouldn't apply. They are not the ones
who
| | order the pond and garden merchandise for the stores.
| | --
| | Carol.... the frugal ponder...
| | "Whenever you meet a man who would make a good husband,
| | you will usually find he's already married."
| | ~~~~~~{@
| | "They laugh because I'm different, I laugh because they're all the
same."
| | http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html
| |
| |