Old 19-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Cookie

Default pond crisis

Hi , I have had my pond about 7 years. I am in upstate NY with frigid
winters. Yesterday I had a major crisis. When I woke up the waterfall was
not working. I went out to look and noticed the pond had gone down about 8
inches (12X15---2200 gallons)
The Koi were in major distress, especially my largest blue one. He is about
2 feet long and was upside down f(. I assessed that there wasn't enough
oxygen in the water and proceeded to take the steps to correct it. I worked
furiously all day. About 2 in the afternoon everyone seemed to be stabilized
.. I thought I saw MR Blue swimming but I have not seen him since. I am
hoping and praying that he is still alive but if he were not would he float
to the top? How long would that take? Thank you for any help. Sofia of the
Pond

Old 19-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Roy

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:02:49 GMT, "Cookie"
wrote:

===Hi , I have had my pond about 7 years. I am in upstate NY with frigid
===winters. Yesterday I had a major crisis. When I woke up the waterfall was
===not working. I went out to look and noticed the pond had gone down about 8
===inches (12X15---2200 gallons)
===The Koi were in major distress, especially my largest blue one. He is about
===2 feet long and was upside down f(. I assessed that there wasn't enough
===oxygen in the water and proceeded to take the steps to correct it. I worked
===furiously all day. About 2 in the afternoon everyone seemed to be stabilized
===. I thought I saw MR Blue swimming but I have not seen him since. I am
===hoping and praying that he is still alive but if he were not would he float
===to the top? How long would that take? Thank you for any help. Sofia of the
===Pond
===

Usually they will eventually float to the top when they die. A lot has
to do with water temp etc until they form sufficient gasses etc to
make em bouyant. Hope your worst fears are not a reality.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 19-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Newbie Bill

I hope you dont lose your beautiful fish. If you cant see it I wonder if
that means you have green water. That could be depleting the oxygen.
Getting the waterfall going again will definitely help. If you havent done
so already, it might be worth the small investment to put a couple of
airstones in as additional insurance as well as additional steps to curb the
algae if that is a problem.
Happy Ponding
Bill Brister

.. .

Old 20-08-2004, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

In the future it would be a good idea to have an air pump and air stones to
prevent the depletion of the oxygen. It is also a good idea to have some
hydrogen peroxide available. A dose of about a pint per 1000 gallons will
kick the O2 level up and save the fish and make the work of oxygenating the
water much easier.

--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html
.. .

Old 24-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Karen

In article jEbVc.288473$%_6.54043@attbi_s01, "RichToyBox"
writes:

A dose of about a pint per 1000 gallons will
kick the O2 level up and save the fish and make the work of oxygenating the
water much easier.

would this work in the event of a power failure? how often can you add
hydrogen peroxide?

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 25-08-2004, 02:07 AM
RichToyBox

Yes. It will work in the event of a power outage. I would just watch the
pond to see when the fish say they are needing more before dosing again. It
can be repeated as many times as needed, but do not overdose, since peroxide
is a sterilant and can burn the fish in overdoses.