Old 23-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Grumpy

Default Pipe size?

How much difference will there be between 2 and 3 inch pipe? I'm trying
to do 3 inch flexible pvc pipe all through out. One problem I am for
seeing is that one of the filter's I'm planning to use only has 1 ½ inch
ports (aqua ultima II). Take a look at the bottom of the page of my
schematic so far. It just seems that 2 inch stuff is more available. Thanks

Old 23-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Grumpy" wrote in message
How much difference will there be between 2 and 3 inch pipe? I'm trying
to do 3 inch flexible pvc pipe all through out. One problem I am for
seeing is that one of the filter's I'm planning to use only has 1 ½ inch
ports (aqua ultima II). Take a look at the bottom of the page of my
schematic so far. It just seems that 2 inch stuff is more available.

Thanks

When I was building my pond, someone told me to go big. I went 4''. I am
happy I did. Nothing ever gets clogged, and I am sized to handle anything I
can throw at it. My two cents, says go big.

BV.

Old 23-08-2004, 06:39 PM
gng

I have a Sequence 7200 and Aqua Ultima filter. The original guy who built
this used 1.5 inch, but when you do the math you actually get nearly twice
the water with 2" pipe. Been told the intake is the most important place to
have the larger pipe. Sequence told me to use 3" if I could for even more
flow.

gary

Old 23-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Benign Vanilla

"gng" wrote in message
I have a Sequence 7200 and Aqua Ultima filter. The original guy who built
this used 1.5 inch, but when you do the math you actually get nearly twice
the water with 2" pipe. Been told the intake is the most important place

have the larger pipe. Sequence told me to use 3" if I could for even more
flow.

snip

I would agree. Never restrict the input to your pump.

BV.

Old 24-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Grumpy

The 3" to the input is no problem. The bottom drain and skimmer are
plumbed for 3". It's the output I have concern for. I want as much flow
as possible to the falls. Will I be able to do 3" from the Ultima? Thanks

Old 24-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Richard E. Steele

You can look at the pipe friction head loss chart shown on this site to see
what the differences in head for different pipe diameters and calculate the
anticipated flow rate. http://www.aquaart.com/pondFLC.html

RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 24-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Andy Hill

Grumpy wrote:
Benign Vanilla wrote:

"gng" wrote in message

I have a Sequence 7200 and Aqua Ultima filter. The original guy who built
this used 1.5 inch, but when you do the math you actually get nearly twice
the water with 2" pipe. Been told the intake is the most important place

have the larger pipe. Sequence told me to use 3" if I could for even more
flow.

snip

I would agree. Never restrict the input to your pump.
BV.

The 3" to the input is no problem. The bottom drain and skimmer are
plumbed for 3". It's the output I have concern for. I want as much flow
as possible to the falls. Will I be able to do 3" from the Ultima? Thanks

The pump doesn't give a rip what your pipe diameter is, all it cares about is
the static and dynamic head. Bigger pipe gives you a smaller dynamic head for
a given flow rate. You *might* run into the situation where the system is
overdesigned (dynamic head is so low that static head is all the pump is pushing
against), but I doubt you'll run into that situation with only 3" pipe. If you
want to be sure, figure out the system's dynamic head from the tables referenced
in Richard's post, and check against the flow curves for your pump.

Old 25-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Grumpy

All I really want to know is, is it worth going to a 3 inch pipe from a
1 1/2 inch port from the filter.

Andy Hill wrote:

Old 25-08-2004, 03:25 AM
RichToyBox

Using the performance chart located at www.fancykoioutlet.com with a static
head of 5 foot and assuming that pipe, valves, elbows, filter head, etc. is
equivalent to 100 foot of pipe, a 2 inch pipe will give about 80 gallon per
minute, while the 3 inch will give about 100 gallon per minute. It the
equivalent length of pipe were 50 foot the flow 3" pipe would have almost no
difference, while the 2 inch pipe would yield a flow of about 95 gallons per
minute.

As you can see, the pipe diameter, number of fittings, length of pipe,
filter components, and other factors. If your plumbing is mostly straight
runs with a minimum of elbows, valves, tees, based on your schematic and my
approximation of distances based on the block counts, you may be able to get
the equivalent length down to about 30 foot, but with many fittings, it
could go as high as 100 foot since each elbow is equivalent to about 4 foot
of pipe and each valve (fully open is equivalaent to about 2 foot of pipe.
--

Andy Hill wrote:

Old 25-08-2004, 05:21 AM
gng

Well, my unofficial advice is to just do it. You're going to spend money to
get 1.5" pipe anyway, so spend a bit more and get the most of your
investment. Or do what I do and get the smaller stuff and just upgrade
every other year (and pull out that checkbook). I am the guy with the $350
sequence pump on the side of my house not sure what to do with it now.

Andy Hill wrote:

Old 25-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Andy Hill

Grumpy wrote:
All I really want to know is, is it worth going to a 3 inch pipe from a
1 1/2 inch port from the filter.

Almost certainly.