Old 25-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Skimmers

Well, my addiction continues. As water garden stuff seems to be going on
sale/close-out I keep toying with the idea of starting a new pond on a major
budget. Lay the liner over the slightly built up edge, pump into home made
filter and viola! cheap pond. Then I would add decorative edging, water
features etc as possible. Someone gave me the idea of using a garden tiller
to loosen soil and make the digging part easier, though I must confess the
manual labor aspect is the biggest dampener to my enthusiasm for the whole
idea.

I am looking for CHEAP ideas to add a skimmer since leaves will certainly be
a problem before long. If I opted for the 'pay me now' idea I also dont
understand what keeps small fish, tadpoles, frogs etc from getting sucked in
a bottom drain or skimmer. Thanxx

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 26-08-2004, 01:41 AM
RichToyBox

I recommend against the tiller. The tillers that I have seen seem to pack
the soil under the area that it is cutting and then it doesn't want to go
any deeper. Starting the hole small and working outward seems to be the
easiest way that I have seen to dig.

As for the fish finding their way into the bottom drain and skimmer, some
do. I found one of my small fish in the vortex filter swimming around after
a ride through the bottom drain plumbing. I have gotten one or two out of
the skimmer. They learn fast not to go there. There isn't enough velocity
to suck them in, but curiosity will get one when they are first installed.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

m...

Old 26-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Newbie Bill

Thanxx for the advice and info. Yet more money saved for a tiller rental
(not including doctor visit for aching back I think my common sense and
logic is being revived with my pond. Which is why I ask some questions like
the skimmer. Makes sense they could get in there, and I couldnt make a make
shift one which wouldnt, so I'm left with but, but, but questions.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 26-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Newbie Bill

[...]

Keeping water hyacinths out of skimmers Remydog Ponds 8 13-05-2004 06:06 PM
Skimmers? KRF Ponds 8 10-03-2004 04:14 AM
DIY Skimmers - Questions? Lisa Ponds 16 18-06-2003 10:08 PM
Pond skimmers question Joel Ponds 0 21-04-2003 07:20 PM
Skimmers and Bottom Drains BenignVanilla Ponds 6 03-02-2003 02:06 PM