Old 30-01-2003, 08:35 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Skimmers and Bottom Drains

OK, I am definitely going to include a skimmer and a bottom drain in the
pond. Does it make sense to have the output of each of these run back
through the veggie filter or right back to the pond?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 31-01-2003, 01:49 AM
~ jan

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:35:03 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

OK, I am definitely going to include a skimmer and a bottom drain in the
pond. Does it make sense to have the output of each of these run back
through the veggie filter or right back to the pond?

The bottom drain pulls out the worst muck, the skimmer adds oxygen to the
water so the bacteria in any filter work better. So output back to filter
back to pond, imo. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 31-01-2003, 02:39 AM
Howard

Drain first skimmer 2nd.

I would run the drain back into the filter. If you are building on uneven
ground I would
include an outlet about a foot below ground level. Instead of an expensive
valve I cap mine with a coupler and enough pipe to extend it above the level
of the
pond. When I pull off the extender pipe the water starts slowly and picks
up speed
untill it is gushing out. The bottom of the pond is bowl shaped around the
drain.
I open the pipe about once every week or two. The crud that comes out looks
like it belongs in a septic tank. Esp good when a plant tips over.

If you are using a EPDM do not fear cutting a hole in the liner for a drain.
A lot of people have problems with waterfalls and streams but one seldom
hears about problems regarding drains. Check out the site(s) where people
have used toilet flanges to attach to the pipe.

Since people seldom read past the first screen I will stop here.

Howard

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 31-01-2003, 02:23 PM
BenignVanilla

"Howard" (remove XYZ) wrote in message
Drain first skimmer 2nd.

Definately seems to be the path I am heading down. I am even considering no
skimmer, and two nice bottom drains.

I would run the drain back into the filter. If you are building on uneven
ground I would
include an outlet about a foot below ground level. Instead of an

expensive
valve I cap mine with a coupler and enough pipe to extend it above the

level
of the
pond. When I pull off the extender pipe the water starts slowly and picks
up speed
untill it is gushing out. The bottom of the pond is bowl shaped around

the
drain.

Could you explain further? I don't get it...sorry...I guess my brain shut
down early for the weekend.

I open the pipe about once every week or two. The crud that comes out

looks
like it belongs in a septic tank. Esp good when a plant tips over.

Sounds like great fertilizer!

If you are using a EPDM do not fear cutting a hole in the liner for a

drain.
A lot of people have problems with waterfalls and streams but one seldom
hears about problems regarding drains. Check out the site(s) where

people
have used toilet flanges to attach to the pipe.

Have seen a few, and definately have no more fear.

Since people seldom read past the first screen I will stop here.

Depends on the quality of the post.

BV.

Old 31-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Lee Brouillet

For my 2 cents worth: if you can do two bottom drains, go for it. But at
least one. As for the skimmer, I find mine to be invaluable for a number of
reasons in addition to its skimming capabilities: it's also a good place to
put my salt when I want to add some, because the fish can't get to it and
burn themselves. It's also a good place to put my thermometer to keep track
of the temp, without it being out in the sun. It's a nice place to add meds
or water treatment staples (like de-chlor). I can stick my water hose in
there for water changes without disturbing the fish or the plants. There are
many benefits to having a deep well that the fish can't get to.

Lee

Old 01-02-2003, 03:32 AM
Howard

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Sort of hard to explain but real easy if you could see it. The pipe runs
from the drain under the pond and comes up till it is somewhat above
the level of the water in the pond. Think of the pipe as a J with the
drain on the left and the pipe sticking up through the ground on the
right.

So with the pond full you can look
down into the pipe and see the water in it, same level as the pond
surface.

Think what would happen if you cut the pipe off 1 foot below the level
of the water in the pipe. You get a gusher. To stop the flow you put
the pipe back together using a pipe slip coupler.

This works best it the pond has one edge that is built up. That way the
pipe
can exit on the low side and be exposed below the level of the pond surface.

Howard

Old 03-02-2003, 02:06 PM
BenignVanilla

"Howard" (remove XYZ) wrote in message
snip
Think what would happen if you cut the pipe off 1 foot below the level
of the water in the pipe. You get a gusher. To stop the flow you put
the pipe back together using a pipe slip coupler.

This works best it the pond has one edge that is built up. That way the
pipe
can exit on the low side and be exposed below the level of the pond

surface.
snip

I get ya now, that makes sense. Thanks for the tip. I think I will
incorporate it.

BV.