Old 25-01-2003, 07:36 PM
mad

Default For the older ponders...

i get my caffein fix from tea. i love the twinings flavored teas. i drink
the whole rainbow, from earl grey in the yellow sleeve to prince of wales in
the black. i make it as stout as the bag will brew and then doctor it with
sugar and lemon. i have a friend who does it the british way with milk, but
i prefer the southern way with lemon.
and it's hot.
mad
--
My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
Unknown

From: "Nedra"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 05:38:02 GMT
Subject: For the older ponders...

Kathy, I get to McDonald's in 5 minutes flat - just throw my coat
on over jeans and sweatshirt and go! I'm a coffee-aholic too!
Besides, I visit with the guys whilst I drink me coffee ;-)

Nedra

K30a wrote in message

Nedra wrote I get my morning coffee from McDonald's *every* morning.

What?!
It is not possible to go without coffee, upon waking, for five minutes!

Too
much time involved in getting to McD's for coffee. Would they accept me in

my
jamies?
I have decided I can not risk being stranded on a desert island. Nor can I

be
involved in any activity that would restrict my access to coffee. I once
de-caffed myself by accident..... worst couple days of my life ;-)

k30a

Old 25-01-2003, 08:05 PM
K30a

Mad wrote i have a friend who does it the british way with milk

When we were in England I loved the way they made tea in the train stations.
Probably brewed all to heck, added to cups that had milk pre-poured into them
sitting there all morning, heavy plastic tea cups and saucers.

And then there are those new fancy, creamy, sweet 'Chai?' teas? yummy.

k30a
Old 25-01-2003, 08:28 PM
mad

never had those. sounds interesting.
mad
--
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
Lennon/McCartney

Old 26-01-2003, 06:03 AM

you really dont want to be confused with the facts, right?
"McDonald's consistently keeps its coffee at 185 degrees, still approximately 20
degrees or more hotter than at other restaurants. Third degree burns occur at this
temperature in just two to seven seconds, requiring skin grafting, debridement and
whirlpool treatments"
http://www.tap-water-burn.com/ for a picture of what a scalding burn looks like at
160o F

I just tested the temperature of my coffee sitting in the pot on the heater. It is
74oC or 165oF. When I pour myself a cup during or right after it is done brewing I
never burn the inside of my mouth at this temperature. It was a real shock the first
time I got a cup of McAssholes coffee, took a sip and burned the inside of my mouth.
Cant remember if I spewed it out onto their floor or not. Of course nobody warned me
the coffee was scalding hot. Not like my favorite pizza place always reminds us the
pizza is right out of the oven and dont touch the metal pan.

It is pointless to put the temp of coffee up to where people cannot drink it right
away. It is only done to save somebody some money..

lets see.... they save maybe 1 million per day on that second cup. Now (IIRC) that
is 700 people sued in the last 10 years, average win unknown cause they settled in
secret. Lets say 200K. So that is 3.65 billion dollars - 0.140 billion in lawsuits.
They are ahead 3.15 billion by heating that coffee. That is the kind of cost to suit
ratio should warm (?) the cockles of any vile corporate CEO
whatever-they-have-instead-of-a-heart.

Why the hell dont they just lower the temp and everyone PAYS for that second cup. I
mean it really is stupid to hand somebody a cup of scalding hot liquid out a window
into a car ... those people are not going to ASK for a second cup. Ingrid

KenCo wrote:

wrote:

It looks like somebody isnt smart enough to comprehend the difference between hot and
scalding hot coffee....

im not trying to start any wars but!
boiling water is 212? last time I checked
scalding is over 140-150F.

the burners/warmers arent made by McD's,
they have the same settings all over.
and most places keep them on "high"

KenCo wrote:
who would be stupid enough to admit that
they were too dumb not to know that coffee,
chilli etc etc is HOT????

Old 27-01-2003, 05:08 PM
D Kat

I REALLY wish I had NOT followed that link... still good to know in a more
visceral way.... I also had NO idea that this was why McFattys kept it's
coffee temperature up so high (which destroys the flavor of the coffee I
might add)..

Old 27-01-2003, 07:12 PM
K30a

Gimme B&N-Starbucks anyday ;-)
(In fact meeting jj there this
afternoon along with one of our
favorite PORG victims!)

k30a
Old 28-01-2003, 05:43 PM

OHHHHH YEAAAAHH. actually, I now got an espresso machine and a separate frother,
just gotta get used to using it. and also, dont have a good grinder, not that I
would be able to tell the difference I guess. Ingrid

Old 28-01-2003, 05:57 PM
K30a

When I was in college (and beyond) I was addicted
to those General Foods International
coffees - full of terrible stuff but
sooooo good.

I had to wean myself off the sugar so I switched to coffee with cream. Finally
got to where sugar tasted terrible in coffee but the cream (!!!)
Alas coffee with skim or 1% was too watery.

So finally I concocted a solution.
I have one of those individual coffee cones, where
you can make one cup. Instead of pouring hot water
through it I pour heated 1% milk (77 seconds on my microwave) through two
heaping spoons of ground coffee. When it drains through I zap the resulting
mixture 22 seconds and then I use one of those battery operated whips to froth
it up.

Works for me, is healthier as I avoid the fat of cream and the sugar of those
bygone college days.
Caf in the morning, decaf in the afternoons.

k30a
Old 28-01-2003, 06:09 PM

I am sooo glad my diet calls for cream instead of milk. But cream just doesnt froth
very well so I use cream in a can. doesnt look the same, but tastes great. what I
especially like is coffee over ice nearly 50/50 with cream.. like ice cream, which
will have to do until they start making ice cream without the carbs. Ingrid

Old 05-02-2003, 06:36 PM
D Kat

Better yet, if you can switch over to green tea and honey you will be
healthier and happier for it in the long run. Coffee addiction was the
toughest drug I ever had to give up before discovering green tea.

wrote in message
dont bother with McD's coffee... tastes like burnt shit and they fill it

right up to
the brim even when you ask for cream and sugar so you cant actually add

any cream to
it. In fact, forget McD's completely. There are more responsible fast

food
corporations out there that care about their customers. Ingrid