Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Bette E

Default Kiddie Pools VS: Stock Tank

Just for beginners: Cost !
A one hundred gallon stock tank will cost you up to $150.00.
The new self-supporting kiddie pools at 20 inches deep and six feet wide
will cost less than $40. depending on size and time of year you purchase
it.
We held 18 good sized fish for 24 hours, with the use of netting and
bubblers.

Storage: No contest.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:20 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Bette E" wrote in message
Just for beginners: Cost !
A one hundred gallon stock tank will cost you up to $150.00.
The new self-supporting kiddie pools at 20 inches deep and six feet wide
will cost less than $40. depending on size and time of year you purchase
it.

** They cost $9.98 here in TN at the Wal-Mart and K-Mart stores. They're 5
or 6' across and hold 150 gallons. A black dropcloth from the same store
hides the cartoons and bright colors. These cost around $2.99 for enough to
do 2 pools.

We held 18 good sized fish for 24 hours, with the use of netting and
bubblers.

** I have goldfish and tiny koi living in them. I do add a small cheap
powerhead to each pool that contains more than a few fish.

Storage: No contest.

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
~~~~~~{@

Old 07-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Durability of kiddie pools is good if they are guarded against impacts.
Stock tanks are more substantial. Our kiddie pools are in the ground.
Others have railroad ties around them to protect. Can't beat the price
savings if you can handle the 5 or 6' pond! We use them in sequence as
veggie filters and settling ponds. Really nice to have cheap pools/ponds
instead of barrels.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Betty,

Where do you live. Where I am at 100 gallon
Rubbermaids run $54 ($49 on Sale). I purchased my 300
gallon Rubbermaid on sale for $149.

I think you are getting ripped off. You must be buying
these troughs at a Pond store and the Feed store. The
300 gallon a number of years ago when it was not on
sale used to run $289, now it sells for $169 regular price.

Tom L.L.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Hi Tom,

Your lillies are blooming for me. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Newbie Bill

As I have mentioned, I have not successfully established my kiddie pool yet
but I love the concept. $10 for 4 or 5 years seems like quite a bargain.
Since I want mine mostly for plants they also provide a much greater surface
area, per gallon, than the stock tanks I have seen. I would think the stock
tanks are a better if you wanted the extra depth for more and bigger fish
and are going to set up more a little pond. I have seen the 'pros' using
them both as holding tanks for new fry and veggie filters, but typically not
as much in an ornamental setting.
Bill

"Karen" wrote in message
In article ,
(Bette E) writes:

A one hundred gallon stock tank will cost you up to $150.00.

I don't know what you're buying, but I bot a 110 gallon stock tank for

$59. at
TSC and I can buy a 300 gallon for under $100.

And a note, I used a swimming pool in Houston and at about 5 years, it

needed
to be replaced, it didn't have the durability.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 09-09-2004, 03:36 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
om...
As I have mentioned, I have not successfully established my kiddie pool

yet
but I love the concept. $10 for 4 or 5 years seems like quite a bargain.

** It is. When they finally leak I use them outside new ones to make the
new one sturdier. The new ones then last even longer than the old ones.
One "set" are now in the ground since 1995 and haven't yet leaked. They
settled too much on one side over the years, and so this year we have to
pull them up to relevel them. I just emptied it out this past week....

Since I want mine mostly for plants they also provide a much greater

surface
area, per gallon, than the stock tanks I have seen.

** This is true. Stock tanks are too high/deep unless you set plants on
blocks or want them for water lilies.

I would think the stock
tanks are a better if you wanted the extra depth for more and bigger fish
and are going to set up more a little pond.

** I have a small 50 gallon stock tank used as a settling tank and plant
filter. I think we paid $30 for it at a local TSC. The kiddy pools are
used for everything. One right now is full of pollywogs and extra plants
plus a few goldfish.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If two men agree on everything, you can

Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 AM
Bette E

snip I don't know what you're buying, but I bot a 110 gallon stock
tank for $59. at TSC and I can buy a 300 gallon for under $100.
And a note, I used a swimming pool in Houston and at about 5 years, it
needed to be replaced, it didn't have the durability.
Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH snip

I was given that price quote at TSC in Pickerington, (nearest store to
Gahanna OH) It was $139.00 plus tax for a 100 gallon stock tank.
Kiddie pool, I should have been clearer-- It was used only as a
(temporary holding pond) while 1800 gal. pond is being cleaned.. a few
hours to 24 hours max. I kept a 4" bubbler in it for my fish.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Ralph

The price around the Rochester/Canandaigua, NY area is around $60 for the
100 gal size. I was able to get 2 at different times this summer on sale for
$55. I found the 50 gal tank was around $50. One of the tanks was from TSC
(Tractor Supply Co) the other was from a local horse and garden supply
store.
If will have to check on the 300 gal. If they are $100 I may consider using
these as my bottom drain settlement tanks (1 for each drain) rather than a
liner hole.
Ralph
Victor, NY

PS TSC website = www.mytscstore.com

Old 12-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Ralph

The price around the Rochester/Canandaigua, NY area is around $60 for the
100 gal size. I was able to get 2 at different times this summer on sale for
$55. I found the 50 gal tank was around $50. One of the tanks was from TSC
(Tractor Supply Co) the other was from a local horse and garden supply
store.
If will have to check on the 300 gal. If they are $100 I may consider using
these as my bottom drain settlement tanks (1 for each drain) rather than a
liner hole.
Ralph
Victor, NY

PS TSC website = www.mytscstore.com

Kiddie Pools VS: Stock Tank Jim and Phyllis Hurley Ponds 1 09-09-2004 03:36 AM
formalin in kiddie pool Bill Ponds 5 20-04-2004 04:03 PM
Kiddie pool Bill Ponds 1 17-04-2004 08:11 PM