Old 17-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
until something starts draining the pond really fast and the water starts

flowing
into the pond big time and you come home to all your fish dead from
chlorine/chloramine poisoning or cold shock.
I mean, how long does it take to turn on the hose and top up the pond,

toss some dry
dechlor in?
If you absolutely wont sit there, use a melnor water timer that adds X

gallons that
is dialed in and then shuts off. at 11 bucks or so, cheap insurance.

snip

I agree 100%. The fish are under your care. You are responsible for their
safety.

BV.

Old 17-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message

How many gallons does your pond hold?

ond holds 5000 gallons

Mine holds 1,500 gallons, and I typically don't add dechlor to the water

when
topping it off (I usually don't add more than about 100 gallons). With

that
much water in your pond, if you spray the water in, agitating it

vigorously when
you add it, you should be ok. But, if in doubt, just add a little dechlor

(I
use stress coat).

I do not believe (and I recognize this is subjective) that chloramines knock
out of water as readily as chlorine does.

BV.

Old 18-09-2004, 04:35 AM
George

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message

How many gallons does your pond hold?

ond holds 5000 gallons

Mine holds 1,500 gallons, and I typically don't add dechlor to the water

when
topping it off (I usually don't add more than about 100 gallons). With

that
much water in your pond, if you spray the water in, agitating it

vigorously when
you add it, you should be ok. But, if in doubt, just add a little dechlor

(I
use stress coat).

I do not believe (and I recognize this is subjective) that chloramines knock
out of water as readily as chlorine does.

BV.

You are correct. However, chloramine levels are typically low in public water
supplies, at least enough so that if you are only adding a small percentage of
make up water to the total amount of water in the pond, it should have no
adverse effect of the pond life. But like I said, if in doubt, add dechlor.
And I usually add a little more stress coat than is needed to neutralize the
chlorine and chloramine, so there should be some leeway there. As you know,
stress coat is not only good for neutralizing these compounds, but also aids in
the healing process, such as helping to repair split fins, which pond some fish
frequently get. Using this product, and carefully adding measured amounts of
water, I've never had a problem with chlorine or chloramine.

Old 18-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Mike Patterson

Problem is that water systems change, new management comes in, legal
requirements change, industry standards change, chemical prices
change, etc etc etc.

My point is that your water company could start using chloramines at
any time. Mine recently did when they started buying water from a
nearby city.

Your only warning might be a layer of belly-up fish on the surface one
morning.

Mike

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:49:58 GMT, "Everwyrd"
SPAM wrote:

Might be a moot point. Some water companies (such as mine) do not add
chloimine to the water. Of course they still add chlorine. Been five years
of adding water right from the hose for me...so far so good.

Alan

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message

How many gallons does your pond hold?

ond holds 5000 gallons

Mine holds 1,500 gallons, and I typically don't add dechlor to the water

when
topping it off (I usually don't add more than about 100 gallons). With

that
much water in your pond, if you spray the water in, agitating it

vigorously when
you add it, you should be ok. But, if in doubt, just add a little
dechlor

(I
use stress coat).

I do not believe (and I recognize this is subjective) that chloramines
knock
out of water as readily as chlorine does.

BV.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 18-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Mike Patterson

SPAM wrote:

Might be a moot point. Some water companies (such as mine) do not add
chloimine to the water. Of course they still add chlorine. Been five years
of adding water right from the hose for me...so far so good.

Alan

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message

[...]

Adding nitrates without adding Ca, Mg or K Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\) Freshwater Aquaria Plants 34 19-01-2006 07:19 PM
Adding Water in Winter - Help JB Ponds 6 28-01-2005 04:06 PM
Adding sugar in water for tomato plants anne United Kingdom 7 28-07-2003 01:12 AM