Old 16-09-2004, 12:43 PM
WilsonKKW

Default Adding water to pond, QUESTION????

I had to add water to pond. I am concerned about the cholrine in the
water..will it hurt tje Koi??
--Kathy
Old 16-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Gale Pearce

Hi Kathy - a lot of people add dechlor to any new water they add to their
pond - if you have chlorine in your water supply and not chloramine a lot of
us get away without using dechlor as long as the amount you add is not too
much (an inch or so) - I also put together a filter which will take out 95%
of the chlorine in my water if I have to add a large amount (5"+) For the
smaller amounts. I "spray" the water into the pond to help aerate and
dissipate as much chlorine as possible
Gale :~)

Old 16-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Granny Grump

I had to add water to pond. I am concerned about the cholrine in the
water..will it hurt tje Koi??

Maybe not. How much are you adding?

Better to be safe than sorry and add some De-Chlor

Old 16-09-2004, 02:50 PM
WilsonKKW

Maybe not. How much are you adding?

adding about 250 gallons
Old 16-09-2004, 02:50 PM
WilsonKKW

Old 16-09-2004, 03:46 PM
George

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message

Maybe not. How much are you adding?

adding about 250 gallons

How many gallons does your pond hold?

Old 16-09-2004, 03:46 PM
George

Old 16-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Kathy - a lot of people add dechlor to any new water they add to their
pond - if you have chlorine in your water supply and not chloramine a lot

of
us get away without using dechlor as long as the amount you add is not too
much (an inch or so) - I also put together a filter which will take out

95%
of the chlorine in my water if I have to add a large amount (5"+) For the
smaller amounts. I "spray" the water into the pond to help aerate and
dissipate as much chlorine as possible

Activated charcoal filters become useless over time and will stop removing
chlorine and chloramine. Spraying water over a pond will not knock
chloramine out of the water. There are inexpensive dechlor products on the
market, so IMHO, just buy some and when you add water, add dechlor. That is
the BEST way to ensure the safety of your fish.

We have an article on this topic at
http://www.ilovemypond.com/topic.asp?aid=99170.

BV.

P.S. Some of you may notice the url is ilovemypond and not iheartmypond. We
are currently transfering the iheartmypond site to a new server/ISP so we
have set up ilovemypond.com to assist in the transfer and minimize down
time. When the transition is complete, both URL's will work.

Old 16-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Gale Pearce

Hi BV - I don't use the Activated Charcoal type - I use the Diaphram type
and the type of filter for the incoming waterline to your home - it says it
is good for 3 - 6 months for home usage , so I am sure @ ~ a couple thousand
gals/yr it will last the whole season if used strictly for the pond before I
need to change it - I have never used dechlor in 10 yrs, just sprayed any
water I added to aerate it and had no problems with chlorine - Actually I
was just reading that dechlor does not remove chloramine from water anyway -
it just "breaks" the bond between chlorine and ammonia (chloramine) so the
chlorine will dissipate and your biofilter takes care of the ammonia - I
don't have the wepage bookmarked anymore, but someone here sent me the link
and it's under "Tip 18"
Gale :~)

Old 16-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Gale Pearce wrote:

I have never used dechlor in 10 yrs,
just sprayed any water I added to aerate it and had no problems with

spraying also helps with temperature - your added water may not be pond
temperature, but at least closer to air temperature than your typical water
supply. It's not particularly good to add a solid stream of water that
might be 20F cooler than the pond.

chlorine - Actually I was just reading that dechlor does not remove
chloramine from water anyway - it just "breaks" the bond between chlorine
and ammonia (chloramine) so the chlorine will dissipate and your biofilter

That was definitely true of the old dechlorination products - I don't know
if it's still true. In any case, people tend not to think that chloramine
contains _two_ things that are bad for your fish - chlorine and ammonia

takes care of the ammonia - I don't have the wepage bookmarked anymore,
but someone here sent me the link and it's under "Tip 18"

http://www.pondrushes.net/tips.htm

believe it or not, I just googled: "tip 18" chloramine
--
derek

Old 16-09-2004, 08:13 PM
WilsonKKW

How many gallons does your pond hold?

ond holds 5000 gallons

Adding nitrates without adding Ca, Mg or K Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\) Freshwater Aquaria Plants 34 19-01-2006 07:19 PM
Adding Water in Winter - Help JB Ponds 6 28-01-2005 04:06 PM
Adding sugar in water for tomato plants anne United Kingdom 7 28-07-2003 01:12 AM