Old 05-10-2004, 02:03 AM
Roy

Default Happier than a pig in $%*(

Had to take the wife up to Birmingham, Alabama, (UAB) University
Hospital today for a followup from a proceedure she had done awhile
back, and one thing about B'ham is its hilly and has nothing but
rocks....Were we live in ALabama Rocks are as scarce as screendoors on
a submarine. Anytime I need rocks for anyting I have to pay for them
@50 cents a pound or more............and I must have $1,000 worth of
rocks around my little section of the pond. But today I came back
from B'ham with the entire bed of my pickup heaped and setting low
full of rock all for free, just pick it up and haul it
off.............Its a rock that resembles grey to green and brownish
red flagstone, and its in big thick sections, but its easy to split
into thin sections........guess its in the shale or slate
family.........also lots of other rock in the sandstone
family......next trip I have to take a plank or two and a ong bar so I
can get some really big ones.........\

I am originally from PA, and rocks were all over the place but here
they command a god price and sold by the pound.Never in my entire life
did I ever think I would go to a rock store and buy
rocks...........and the best part is the fellow told me to take em
all........they have been there forever and there is not enough time
left in my ife if I hauled a load every day with a big truck to carry
them all off...........These fish and water gardens has gotten ahold
of me pretty good!
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Mark Bannister

Roy:
It's shale. Makes great paths, but fairly fragile. You'll find some is
much harder than others. Go a little southwest of B'ham and you can
find this really neat sandstone with myriad banded colors (lots of reds,
yellow, purple). Comes off in thin sections, but it is too fragile for
paths. It can be stunning underwater.
Mark B. (in Huntsville, North AL)

Old 06-10-2004, 01:48 AM
Roy

What part of Pennsylvania are you in...... I lived in Schuylkill (I
remember how to even spell it) county.......in Frackville up until
1972.

I know what you mean about removing natural fauna from a state...Been
there done that, got read the riot act and had the fear of god put
into me by the State of Arizona some years back. Getting these rocks
however does not have anmy problems as such though. I had been on a
TDY military assignment for 4 weeks to Davis Monathan AFB (Tucson) and
in my off time I would prowl the desert area. My youngin was into
reptiles, and other such critters. I caught 4 tarantulas, a corn
snake, and a king snake.........so being that I flew there by
commercial airlines, I figured I would just pack em in my personal
bagage to carry back to Alabama.......I bought 2 pillow cases and put
a snake into each one, and then into a small sturdy box and packed it
in my baggage. To transport the spiders and scorpions I used some
souveiner Cactus looking salt and pepper shakers to put them in. Again
I packed them in my baggage.

I had a chance to catch an early flight and also clear base early, so
I got to the airport, turned in my rental car, checked my bags and
kicked back while waiting for the boarding time to arrive, unhindered
by baggage. I had swapped airlines and tickets for a early flight on
anaother airlines, but all seemed well. I had been just setting there
and then heard my name being paged on the PA requesting me to report
to the ticket counter...Oh heck, I am gonna be bumped, I could just
feel it......get to the ticket counter, told them who I was and I was
answering their page. Clerk said one minute, and then the next thing
an Arizona Wildlife offical was at my side requesting me to accompany
him into a side room...I went with him and in the room were my bags.
They asked me if they were my bags, I replied yes, they asked for my
baggage tag stubs, compared the numbers etc and then asked if I had
"anything" in them that was not supposed to be in them like Fauna
etc....I told em I had some snakes I caught.......opened up the bags
showed them to the official and he commenced to lay the law down to me
and tell me what can happen to folks that break the natural fauna
law......I even told him I wold go and re-rent a rental car and put
each and every critter back exactly where it was when I found
it.......but in the end I was let off with a heck of a butt eating and
low down on the laws...........and then got out of dodge just as soon
as the flight boarded..........less spiders, snakes ands scorpions.

I don;t know how they new the snakes were in there but they did......
Old 06-10-2004, 02:01 AM
Bill Stock

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

I lived in the country as a child (many moons ago), so the idea of paying
for rocks really boggles me. I lived on the Canadian Shield, so the place
was one big friggin rock. When I bought a few hundered pounds of limestone
for my little puddle it cost me $400 CDN. Still can't believe I paid for
rocks.

Using Plants To Make Us Happier Hippie Chick Gardening 3 09-05-2007 05:36 PM
Do you want to make your FISH happier 4 less money?? Sarah* Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 15-10-2003 01:42 PM
pig farming ofoe1 sci.agriculture 7 14-03-2003 05:32 PM
Pig Toys Oz sci.agriculture 3 17-02-2003 04:38 PM
Pig Toys Derek Moody sci.agriculture 1 08-02-2003 12:44 AM