Old 03-11-2004, 09:12 PM
willow80834

Default indoor pond???

Has anyone put a pond IN the floor ?? I would like to put a indoor
pond IN the floor of my frontroom.... I would like to know what or
how to handle floor beams? I would also like to know what I have to
look forward to.... THANKS ever so much for your time!!!!
Old 04-11-2004, 12:14 AM
southernbc

I have not put a pond in a floor, but any time you place a large body of
water indoors you are going to eventually have problems with rot in your
house as the humidity gets very high. Other than that it sounds great!

Don - Greenwood BC

Old 04-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Snooze

"willow80834" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone put a pond IN the floor ?? I would like to put a indoor
pond IN the floor of my frontroom.... I would like to know what or
how to handle floor beams? I would also like to know what I have to
look forward to.... THANKS ever so much for your time!!!!

Cutting the floor beams haphazardly is a good way to ruin the structural
integrity of the house. Additional water is fairly heavy, a 1000 gallon
indoor pond put a load of about 8300 pounds on the flooring, unless you
intend to rest the bottom of the pond on the ground.

Additionally you need to consider how will run filter and plumbing (and
somehow hide, but still have easy accessible) Also consider that you'll
keep a section of your house that will have a higher humidity, and somehow
protect the flooring, walls, and structure from increased exposure to
moisture.

If you're able to make it all work, I'm sure it will be nice.

Snooze

Old 04-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

willow80834 wrote:

Has anyone put a pond IN the floor ?? I would like to put a indoor
pond IN the floor of my frontroom.... I would like to know what or
how to handle floor beams? I would also like to know what I have to
look forward to.... THANKS ever so much for your time!!!!

You'll be able to look forward to that nice pond smell in your house.
Don't know how well the plants will grow, though.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Snooze

"willow80834" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone put a pond IN the floor ?? I would like to put a indoor
pond IN the floor of my frontroom.... I would like to know what or
how to handle floor beams? I would also like to know what I have to
look forward to.... THANKS ever so much for your time!!!!

snip

I should of made my idea more clear...my bad I am soo sorry ....
I dont want a HUGE monster of a pond.. I want to try to put a
little preformed liner like the ones on this web site
http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page...med_ponds.html
I know that one of the floor joists
may need to be cut ..... and it will be supported from the cellar so
that there will be no real weight on the floor from the tiny pond or
what ever you wuold call it.
thanks once again for your time and reply!

First, the plastic in most preformed ponds can't support the weight of the
water, they need to be full buried in the ground, or in your case, a
concrete support. But that's an implementation detail, you're far from that
stage. More then likely, you'll have to have a pond custom made, out of
concrete, or maybe an old bath tub?

My suggestion is, to use the carpenter's adage, "think twice, cut once".
Before you start cutting up the floor, the joists and generally tearing up
the house, buy a whiskey barrel, and whiskey barrel liner (to make it
watertight), that should set you back only $50 at the most. Put that in the
area you intend to cut up, run it for a full year, all the water changes,
all the cleaning, Keep in mind that a water change in a flush mounted
preformed floor level pond will be a lot harder, because you can't cheat and
use a siphon, you'll have to pump out the water, or use a bucket to scoop
out some water (no spilling the water).

Don't think of this as a pond, think of it as an indoor aquarium, which will
probably help your research activities, additionally if someone like me, who
is habitually stubbing my toe on things at night were to visit you, I'm sure
at least one foot would be in the pond on a regular basis.

Good luck
Snooze

Old 06-11-2004, 02:12 PM

forget the preform. call the company that installs jacuzzi or sunken baths in
bathrooms. they will have the expertise to cut and properly brace an in floor pond
just like they would with a sunken bath. I would use liner with thick plywood.
Ingrid

(willow80834) wrote:

(willow80834) wrote in message . com...
Has anyone put a pond IN the floor ?? I would like to put a indoor
pond IN the floor of my frontroom.... I would like to know what or
how to handle floor beams? I would also like to know what I have to
look forward to.... THANKS ever so much for your time!!!!

I should of made my idea more clear...my bad I am soo sorry ....
I dont want a HUGE monster of a pond.. I want to try to put a
little preformed liner like the ones on this web site
http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page...med_ponds.html
I know that one of the floor joists
may need to be cut ..... and it will be supported from the cellar so
that there will be no real weight on the floor from the tiny pond or
what ever you wuold call it.
thanks once again for your time and reply!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:54 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I should of made my idea more clear...my bad I am soo sorry ....
I dont want a HUGE monster of a pond.. I want to try to put a
little preformed liner like the ones on this web site
http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page...med_ponds.html

How about a patio pond? Similar to the whiskey barrel idea previously. A
patio pond is what I have in my living room. Page 4 of *My Pond Photos*
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Only I don't have it loaded with plants like that any more. The cannas go
to the garage and only Tropical lilies go in it for the winter. This is the
first winter I haven't put fish in it, trying to cut down on my work load
around the house, now that I'm working out of the house these days. ~ jan

White Film on Indoor Pond Liner manzara Ponds 2 15-01-2004 12:42 AM
indoor pond plants John Rutz Ponds 7 23-11-2003 05:32 PM
Huge Indoor Pond Tubs? Kodiak Ponds 11 30-09-2003 05:42 PM
Help request: Designing above ground indoor pond Gary Ponds 7 15-04-2003 08:32 PM
Suggestions for indoor school lobby pond? Mr CDW Ponds 3 23-03-2003 01:08 AM