Old 10-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Mike Patterson

Effective, but could bother the neighbors, and the police might frown
on it.

I'd suggest a wire around the top of the fence that was climbed,
hooked to an electric fence transformer. Just to keep the birds from
fouling the top of the fence, of course.

Mike

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:45:22 -0000, "2pods"
wrote:

Landmines, works every time ;-)

Peter
"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
I'd call the Police! They will 'talk' to the parents about the child
trespassing.
.... at least out my way they do. Of course, I'm a full generation older
than any of you - - my generation did things differently ... not better,
just differently.

Nedra

"Pinkpggy" wrote in message
The sad thing is that child will eventually get hurt in some one elses

yard and
the parents will blame the people rather than themselves. And if he can

climb a
fence now at age three, what he will be able to do at age 6 is another

scary
thought.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 10-11-2004, 01:33 AM
ClaudCar

I concur wholeheartedly - call your atty and have a letter sent to the
parents about the unacceptability of their child's behavior and your concern
about their child's welfare. if it continues, then for the child's own
safety (since it appears that there is lax supervision), contact child
welfare.

--
______________________
Claudia
"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Ka30P wrote:

Wow. That's scary. Locked gate and three year old must be climbing over
the fence? You might call your insurance agent, explain your set up,

pond,
fence, locked gate and what happened. He/she might tell you your
liability.

I wouldn't dream of calling my insurance agent. Once you warn them about

liability issue, they're likely to just drop your policy. Then, try to

get
coverage.

If you are worried about the liability, call your lawyer.

Having survived a roaming child of mine own (there was no child
proof lock this boy could not open) I am very thankful to his guardian
angel.

Fortunately for the survival of the species, children almost never

actually
come to grief from this sort of activity. Unfortunately for individual
families, there are exceptions.

We've been lucky enough to live miles away from very young children as

long
as we've had a pond.
--
derek

Old 10-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Happy'Cam'per

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
We've been lucky enough to live miles away from very young children as

long
as we've had a pond.

Maybe they're all lying at the bottom of your pond Derek
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 10-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Derek Broughton

Nedra wrote:

I'd call the Police! They will 'talk' to the parents about the child
trespassing.
.... at least out my way they do. Of course, I'm a full generation older
than any of you -

How can that be? You still look 30 from here...

- my generation did things differently ... not better,
just differently.

Mine too. There were abuses, but on the whole, parents actually took some
responsibility for their children's actions. I still know parents who do,
but there seem to be far too many think it's "Someone Else's Fault (TM)".
--
derek

Old 10-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Derek Broughton

Happy'Cam'per wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
We've been lucky enough to live miles away from very young children as

long
as we've had a pond.

Maybe they're all lying at the bottom of your pond Derek

Ack! No wonder the koi never seem that hungry
--
derek

Old 10-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Mike Patterson wrote:

Landmines, works every time ;-)

Effective, but could bother the neighbors, and the police might frown
on it.

I'd suggest a wire around the top of the fence that was climbed,
hooked to an electric fence transformer. Just to keep the birds from
fouling the top of the fence, of course.

If the neighbors object to that, they can't do much about you running an
electric fence around the pond, to keep out the raccoons.
--
derek

Old 10-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Landmines, works every time ;-)

Old 11-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:50:13 -0500, "NauticalWheeler"
wrote something like:

No matter how you protect you pond if you build it they will come. I have
our pond in our fenced in backyard. The gates are locked. You need a key
to unlock the gates.

We had just finished waterproofing the back porch and were inside eating
lunch. We heard noises and I thought it was the dog and then I worried that
it was a heron. In few minutes we saw our neighbors 3 year old walked
across the wet stained porch!

No, we I spoke to the mother yesterday she had no idea that her child was in
out yard. And that he could climb the fence! As a matter of fact she said
nothing.

Ugly. I have to suggest that you send a letter to the Mother outlining
what you have done to protect the child from danger and suggesting she
do some training. If she bitches that you are just covering your ass,
then agree with her and document that conversation, too.
"No Child Left Inside"
"There's always razor wire . . "
--
Crashj
Old 11-11-2004, 03:52 PM

I would think a hot wire at the top of the fence would keep out all kinds of unwanted
visitors. Ingrid

(Pinkpggy) wrote:

The sad thing is that child will eventually get hurt in some one elses yard and
the parents will blame the people rather than themselves. And if he can climb a
fence now at age three, what he will be able to do at age 6 is another scary
thought.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:50:13 -0500, "NauticalWheeler" wrote:

No matter how you protect you pond if you build it they will come. I have
our pond in our fenced in backyard. The gates are locked. You need a key
to unlock the gates.

Here's a different approach. Invite the child(ren) over for a visit, let
them feed the fish, and then explain to them the hazards of visiting or
feeding the fish without permission. Let them know that they are always
free to ring your bell, if they want to visit. I've never had a problem
with the kids I've invited over. Ends their curiosity and takes aways the
forbid fruit aspect.

Now I did have some hopping the fence one year, I'm not sure who they were
or where they came from. I'd just see tracks in the soft dirt by the fence
and once a resin fish was knocked in. About this time I learned herons will
visit in mid-day, so I turned the motion sprinkler on 24/7 and that took
care of both problems. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~