Old 09-11-2004, 01:50 PM
NauticalWheeler

Default neighbor children

No matter how you protect you pond if you build it they will come. I have
our pond in our fenced in backyard. The gates are locked. You need a key
to unlock the gates.

We had just finished waterproofing the back porch and were inside eating
lunch. We heard noises and I thought it was the dog and then I worried that
it was a heron. In few minutes we saw our neighbors 3 year old walked
across the wet stained porch! It was so scared he took off running to the
gate and just stood. When my husband unlocked the gate he took off running
to his house next door! Now I understand why some of the strange things
have been happening to my gardens!

No, we I spoke to the mother yesterday she had no idea that her child was in
out yard. And that he could climb the fence! As a matter of fact she said
nothing. I always have been concerned about the pond and children. My kids
were in 2nd grade when we installed the pond and I have done everything to
protect the pond. I always thought it was 'safe' in my backyard...however, I
always wondered. How sad that parents do not care what their children do to
other peoples yard ... How scary it is to know that a three year old is
roaming around by himself!

For those that think you pond is 'safe'...it only takes one
lost/unsupervised child! Just curious if anyone else has had problems.

Lisa

Old 09-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Ka30P

Wow. That's scary. Locked gate and three year old must be climbing over the
fence? You might call your insurance agent, explain your set up, pond, fence,
locked gate and what happened. He/she might tell you your liability.
Having survived a roaming child of mine own (there was no child proof lock this
boy could not open) I am very thankful to his guardian angel.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state

Old 09-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Derek Broughton

Ka30P wrote:

Wow. That's scary. Locked gate and three year old must be climbing over
the fence? You might call your insurance agent, explain your set up, pond,
fence, locked gate and what happened. He/she might tell you your
liability.

I wouldn't dream of calling my insurance agent. Once you warn them about a
liability issue, they're likely to just drop your policy. Then, try to get
coverage.

If you are worried about the liability, call your lawyer.

Having survived a roaming child of mine own (there was no child
proof lock this boy could not open) I am very thankful to his guardian
angel.

Fortunately for the survival of the species, children almost never actually
come to grief from this sort of activity. Unfortunately for individual
families, there are exceptions.

We've been lucky enough to live miles away from very young children as long
as we've had a pond.
--
derek
Old 09-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Pinkpggy

The sad thing is that child will eventually get hurt in some one elses yard and
the parents will blame the people rather than themselves. And if he can climb a
fence now at age three, what he will be able to do at age 6 is another scary
thought.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 09-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Mark Bannister

Derek Broughton wrote:
Ka30P wrote:

I wouldn't dream of calling my insurance agent. Once you warn them about a
liability issue, they're likely to just drop your policy. Then, try to get
coverage.

My understanding about ponds is that you were supposed to call your
insurance agent BEFORE you built it.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Derek Broughton

Mark Bannister wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
Ka30P wrote:

I wouldn't dream of calling my insurance agent. Once you warn them about
liability issue, they're likely to just drop your policy. Then, try to
get coverage.

My understanding about ponds is that you were supposed to call your
insurance agent BEFORE you built it.

Sure. Around here though, they're now looking for absolutely any reason to
drop you. If your company didn't have a problem with you before, you don't
want to bring yourself to their attention for any reason.
--
derek

Old 09-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Mark Bannister

Derek Broughton wrote:

Sure. Around here though, they're now looking for absolutely any reason to
drop you. If your company didn't have a problem with you before, you don't
want to bring yourself to their attention for any reason.

Agreed. FYI just calling and asking "Is this covered?" gets added to
your file and can affect your rates. Of course 3 claims in a year means
your are dropped no matter what they are or how small.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Ka30P

AK! Sad to think that this happens, getting dropped or flagged by your
insurance for trying to be responsible.
If that is the case I'd look into a grid for the top of the pond. People have
made them and in England they sell them.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Nedra

I'd call the Police! They will 'talk' to the parents about the child
trespassing.
..... at least out my way they do. Of course, I'm a full generation older
than any of you - - my generation did things differently ... not better,
just differently.

Nedra