Old 15-12-2004, 11:14 AM
kc

I keep my fish food in the fridge...
Kirsten
"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
Hi Claudia,

The 55 degree rule is pretty good for our kopi. No food once the temp
falls below 55.

Pleco's die at that temp.

WH can be left. Ours don't die unless the growth core freezes hard.
Leaves fail and freeze. Over 50% make it to the new year very well. We
put plastic over them and the water circulates around them. The water
reaches 32, but no hard freeze.

Good luck.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at:
jogathon.net

"ClaudCar" wrote in message
Since we don't freeze . . . we can still "talk". How do I know if my
fish
are "hibernating" in their cave (under waterfall) or became egret food?
Babies haven't been seen since TDay, but the biggers were around till
they
got spooked by the egret and for sure lost 2 to it. The others have
hidden
since the Santa Ana's started and string algae is NOT growing so ASS U ME
the water is cold now. What should I do with their food - is it OK to
leave
in dark cupboard or freeze till they unhibernate?

One of my pleichotis did die, can't tell why - may be cold - looked
recent,
no decomposition.

Should I strip the dead leaves off the WH? and then do I just leave them
in
the upper WF basin?
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus

Old 17-12-2004, 11:37 PM
San Diego Joe

"ClaudCar" wrote:

Since we don't freeze . . . we can still "talk". How do I know if my fish
are "hibernating" in their cave (under waterfall) or became egret food?
Babies haven't been seen since TDay, but the biggers were around till they
got spooked by the egret and for sure lost 2 to it. The others have hidden
since the Santa Ana's started and string algae is NOT growing so ASS U ME
the water is cold now. What should I do with their food - is it OK to leave
in dark cupboard or freeze till they unhibernate?

One of my pleichotis did die, can't tell why - may be cold - looked recent,
no decomposition.

Should I strip the dead leaves off the WH? and then do I just leave them in
the upper WF basin?
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus

Hi Caludia,

Your fish will be active all winter. Don't feed them after your water temp
hits about 55. They will act like they want some, but it's best they don't
have it - cold water digestive problems. I just leave my WH and ship some in
spring to ponders in colder regions.

You might consider a scarecrow motion activated sprinkler to help keep your
bird away from your fish.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 18-12-2004, 03:10 PM

string algae continues to grow in ice as long as there is sunlight.
freeze their food.. keeps in the nutrients. Ingrid

"ClaudCar" wrote:
string algae is NOT growing so ASS U ME
the water is cold now. What should I do with their food - is it OK to leave
in dark cupboard or freeze till they unhibernate?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 18-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kc" wrote in message
I keep my fish food in the fridge...
Kirsten

snip

I keep mine as a layer of algae in the pond.

BV.

Old 18-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Derek Broughton

ClaudCar wrote:

One of my pleichotis did die, can't tell why - may be cold - looked
recent, no decomposition.

I'm guessing that's "plecostomus" - no access to taxa references here to
know if it's an actual genus. There is almost nowhere in the continental
US that a Pleco will survive in an unheated outdoor pond. S. Florida,
maybe Houston area - I've heard San Diego, so you _might_ just be far
enough south for them.
--
derek
Old 18-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Sean Dinh

I partially drained my pond, and then used left over shade fabric to do
inventory...

Old 20-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"kc" wrote in message
I keep my fish food in the fridge...
Kirsten

snip

I keep mine as a layer of algae in the pond.

LOL. That's my preferred technique, too. Feeding is for treats :-) It's
much easier to keep a pond balanced (or the closest approximation we can
manage) if you're not continually adding nutrients.
--
derek

So Cal Ponders Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 10 17-05-2006 03:23 PM
SO CAL Ponders ClaudCar Ponds 0 17-12-2004 07:15 PM
Tomatoes Zone 9 So. Cal, Los Angeles HPBudlong Edible Gardening 3 15-02-2003 03:03 PM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM
N.Cal: County pushes for collective voice on sudden oak death Lion Kuntz alt.forestry 0 24-11-2002 06:02 PM