Old 19-12-2004, 08:28 PM
ex WGS Hamm

Default DIY external filter

I plan to buy a new pump next year for my 2000 gallon pond. It has goldfish
in and one koi. I would like an external filter but as the pump will cost a
fortune and the pond only exists because I rescued the fish last year from
someone who was about to dump them in a river I don't want to spend more
than I can afford. The pond cost me enough in labour and liner and plants
etc. So, has anyone ever built their own filter or does anyone know where I
might find a 'how to'?

Old 19-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Granny Grump

someone who was about to dump them in a river I don't want to spend more
than I can afford. The pond cost me enough in labour and liner and plants
etc. So, has anyone ever built their own filter or does anyone know where I
might find a 'how to'?

Skippy Bio-Filter
http://www.skippysstuff.com/

Old 19-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

I suspect that most of us have put together filters of various sorts. Ours
are veggie filters (small ponds with a slow water flow and loads of plants.
The muck settles and the plants and bacteria deal with the nitrites. Ours
get drained (2" bottom drain) each spring. No filter material to clog.
Ours can be seen on our website. Let me or rec.ponds know if you have
details to ask.

Can you do a veggie filter? We think them the easiest. Others may
vehemently disagree.

You will get loads of other suggestions.

Jim
Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 20-12-2004, 03:10 AM
J.D. Stone

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
I plan to buy a new pump next year for my 2000 gallon pond. It has goldfish
in and one koi. I would like an external filter but as the pump will cost
fortune and the pond only exists because I rescued the fish last year from
someone who was about to dump them in a river I don't want to spend more
than I can afford. The pond cost me enough in labour and liner and plants
etc. So, has anyone ever built their own filter or does anyone know where
might find a 'how to'?

I have a couple of links to ideas on this page:
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/pondlink.htm

Old 20-12-2004, 06:51 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:28:57 GMT, "ex WGS Hamm" wrote:

I plan to buy a new pump next year for my 2000 gallon pond. It has goldfish
in and one koi. I would like an external filter but as the pump will cost a
fortune and the pond only exists because I rescued the fish last year from
someone who was about to dump them in a river I don't want to spend more
than I can afford. The pond cost me enough in labour and liner and plants
etc. So, has anyone ever built their own filter or does anyone know where I
might find a 'how to'?

click on "My Filter" and "Demon Pond Filter" ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 21-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Newbie Bill

" I would like an external filter but as the pump will cost a
fortune "

A submersible pump running to a out of pond DIY filter should not cost you a
fortune. I like azponds.com. In fact right now they have a 2100 gph Laguna
for a $100. A search will give you many DIY filters. The skippy idea is
very common = pond water empties into the bottom of a container and the
'dirt' is trapped as it rises to flow out. The material that traps it also
serves as a medium for the good biobugs. Many would advise against it, but
my filter is similar to a skippy except I use pea gravel instead of
scrubbies. The advantage is it cleans great and is really low in initial
cost. The disadvantage is it clogs up and must be cleaned much more often
than the scrubbies. Jan's demon pond filter is terrific but it aint cheap.
Generally the more you invest in your filter, the less maintenance will be
required.
HTH
Bill

Old 22-12-2004, 05:48 PM

I have had all kinds of home mades... and the veggie filter is the easiest and least
time consuming for cleaning, and frankly, cheap.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/details.htm
Ingrid

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote:

I suspect that most of us have put together filters of various sorts. Ours
are veggie filters (small ponds with a slow water flow and loads of plants.
The muck settles and the plants and bacteria deal with the nitrites. Ours
get drained (2" bottom drain) each spring. No filter material to clog.
Ours can be seen on our website. Let me or rec.ponds know if you have
details to ask.

Can you do a veggie filter? We think them the easiest. Others may
vehemently disagree.

You will get loads of other suggestions.

Jim

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-12-2004, 05:48 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
news

[...]

Thanks all for the advice. I will take a look at everything suggested.

Old 24-12-2004, 05:48 PM
ex WGS Hamm

[...]

new website: DIY homebuild mechanical external pond pre-filter J C-W United Kingdom 36 05-09-2010 11:00 PM
diy external co2 reactor Lawrence Zarb Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 12-12-2005 10:39 AM
DIY external filter ex WGS Hamm Ponds 0 19-12-2004 08:28 PM
new website: DIY homebuild mechanical external pre-filter (UK) J C-W Ponds 0 17-09-2003 08:12 PM
new website: DIY homebuild mechanical external pre-filter (UK) J C-W Ponds (alternative) 0 17-09-2003 08:12 PM