Old 28-12-2004, 07:09 AM
George

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
news:zbWzd.644129$D%.591463@attbi_s51...

"Crashj" wrote in message
On or about Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:06:45 GMT, "Ann in Houston"
wrote something like:

The moisture that comes in off the
gulf was providing the precip that froze. Therefore, we kind of had an
upside down weather pattern. Points north, that usually get the

flurries
got nothing.

That would be what we call here, "lake effect" snow. Usually happend
off the down wind side of the Great Lakes, or the Great Salt Lake, or
Lake Champlain, for instance. Makes for Great Skiing!
--
Crashj

About the only place hilly enough in the Houston area to ski would be an
interstate exit ramp, and I wouldn't recommend anyone do that.

Thankfully, familiarity doesn't breed enough contempt around here for anyone
to have been complacent (or stupid )enough to try it. I'm sure Crash was
referring to the texture of the snow. Besides, the further South you go,
where the snow was deeper, the fewer exit ramps there are. I would love to
have seen snow on the beach.

Having spent quite a lot of time on beaches in Florida, I must say that the
thought of snow on the beach is quite incongruous.

Old 28-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Derek Broughton

George wrote:

"Crashj" wrote in message

That would be what we call here, "lake effect" snow. Usually happend
off the down wind side of the Great Lakes, or the Great Salt Lake, or
Lake Champlain, for instance. Makes for Great Skiing!

About the only place hilly enough in the Houston area to ski would be an
interstate exit ramp, and I wouldn't recommend anyone do that.

Well, nobody was driving in Houston, with 2 whole inches of snow on the
ground...
--
derek
Old 28-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Derek Broughton

~ Windsong ~ wrote:

I'm living here in middle TN since 1979 and this is the first "almost"
white
xmas I remember. There are patches of snow here and there - better than
none at all. :-)

Exactly what we got on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia. Yesterday was a
little better. Major blizzard - not too much snow (about 20cm here) but
near-hurricane force winds and no visibility.

There's a fire roaring in the fireplace and all is well....

"The weather outside is frightful...
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" :-)
--
derek

Old 28-12-2004, 10:27 PM
George

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
George wrote:

"Crashj" wrote in message

That would be what we call here, "lake effect" snow. Usually happend
off the down wind side of the Great Lakes, or the Great Salt Lake, or
Lake Champlain, for instance. Makes for Great Skiing!

About the only place hilly enough in the Houston area to ski would be an
interstate exit ramp, and I wouldn't recommend anyone do that.

Well, nobody was driving in Houston, with 2 whole inches of snow on the
ground...
--
derek

What would they do if they had had the 3 inches of frozen sleet and 8 inches of
snow that we got?

Old 28-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Crashj

On or about Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:48:26 GMT, "Ann in Houston"
wrote something like:

I would love to have seen snow on the beach.

We aim to please:
http://images.google.com/images?sour...w+on+the+beach
http://snipurl.com/bn1f

Now, about the love part, . . .
--
Crashj
Old 29-12-2004, 03:00 AM
Ann in Houston

wrote something like:

I would love to have seen snow on the beach.

We aim to please:

http://images.google.com/images?sour...w+on+the+beach
http://snipurl.com/bn1f

Now, about the love part, . . .
--
Crashj

I should have known that anything is possible on rec.ponds

Old 29-12-2004, 08:37 PM
George

wrote something like:

I would love to have seen snow on the beach.

We aim to please:
http://images.google.com/images?sour...w+on+the+beach
http://snipurl.com/bn1f

Now, about the love part, . . .
--
Crashj

Has anyone ever seen that much snow in that part of Texas before?

Old 30-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Ann in Houston

Has anyone ever seen that much snow in that part of Texas before?

We got about this much, it seems, in 1990, in January, and back in 1973,
when we first moved here from Arlington (near Dallas) we had enjoyed six to
eight inches up there, resuliting in several snow days that I never had to
make up, because we moved at mid-term. Then, right after Christmas, we got
our own two inches or so, which earned us maybe one more day off when it was
time to go back. I remember how everyone down here was so incredulous to
see snow that actually accumulated. I sort of related, because it was a
treat, even in the Dallas area, but we did see at least an inch up there,
every year. But anyway, that was the most I had seen around here, until
this year. The big deal here, of course, was that it came on Christmas Eve.

Old 30-12-2004, 01:42 AM
Ann in Houston

Well, I can promise you that plenty of people were driving. For

example,
the many cousins, aunts and uncles at our party. The temps hadn't been
freezing for long enough to ice up the roads. It was like driving after

rain shower. The unusual part was while the snow was falling, and the
flakes that were illuminated by the headlights coming at you. I heard

it
compared to the the effect on Star Wars when the Millennium Falcon

jumped to
warp speed. I didn't even hear of any real accidents. No more than any
holiday season, anyway.

There were plenty of people driving here during the storm, but most

regretted it
afterwards. The traffic back up on I-65 extended from Menphis, Indiana to

South
of Louisville, a traffic jam of about 40 miles. People were stuck in it

in some
cases for over a day.

There was a time, probably in the eighties, that there was a storm with
snow, between here and Dallas, and my FIL was trying to drive home from a
training school for his job, in Dallas. It took ten hours for a trip that
usually takes four to five hours.

Old 31-12-2004, 09:04 PM
George

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Back in Jan. 1977, I was a student at eastern kentucky Unniversity. two of my
borthers were driving me back to school after the christmas break. It started
to snow, but that didn't hinder us. We arrived after a two hour drive.
Unfortunately for my brothers, the snow storm became the biggest blizzard here
in many years, and it took them eight hours to get back home. The university
recieved 27" of snow and was socked in for two weeks before it could dig out.
In the mean time, the temperature dropped to 20 below, and stayed below freezing
until April. There were snow piles in parking lots from the shoveling that
lasted until May. I thought we were going to have a new ice age at the time.
Of course, I was a freshman then. What did I know?