Old 30-12-2004, 01:06 AM
teeno

Default invading fish in my garden pond

Hi people i started my garden pond about 2 years ago now. I started with
just 2 gold fish in there then we had some frogs (still have actualy) and
added 3 more goldfish just over a year ago now i have just noticed that
there are 3 other small grey coloured fish in there i have no idea how they
got there at all. My question is has someone put them there or are there
other ways of them getting there? and how do i tell just what fish they are?

thanx in advance

Old 30-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Crashj

On or about Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:06:09 -0000, "teeno"
wrote something like:

now i have just noticed that
there are 3 other small grey coloured fish in there i have no idea how they
got there at all. My question is has someone put them there or are there
other ways of them getting there? and how do i tell just what fish they are?

Well, when a mommie fish finds a daddie fish and she really really
likes him, she lets him . . .
Do you see where this is going? They are probably baby fish from the
goldfish. You won't be able to see detail until they grow up. Either
that or some fish eggs wandered in on bird feet or frog legs or
whatever.
Congratulations, your pond has achieved a certain stability with
nature, enough to encourage life.
--
Crashj
Old 30-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Birgitte

"teeno" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi people i started my garden pond about 2 years ago now. I started with
just 2 gold fish in there then we had some frogs (still have actualy) and
added 3 more goldfish just over a year ago now i have just noticed that
there are 3 other small grey coloured fish in there i have no idea how
they
got there at all. My question is has someone put them there or are there
other ways of them getting there? and how do i tell just what fish they
are?

thanx in advance

Hi , are you sure there only are 3 small grey once , because when that
happende to me, i had about 100 af them but they were hard to se and they
would hide down the bottom, first a year later I could see them all. and I
can tell you they were all goldfish :-)
I manage to take some of them indside in akvarium for the winter an saw the
colorchange.
so congratulation whit your goldfish fry.
--
Birgitte
http://www.ninaweb.dk/havedam/english.htm

Old 30-12-2004, 04:46 PM
teeno

"Birgitte" wrote in message
. ..

"teeno" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

thank you for your reply's i have taken a closer look at one today and they
do look like goldfish now are they going tobe alright thro the winter in
the pond or should i bring a few in doors??
i live in the UK the pond is 3 feet deep and about 6ft by 4 ft

once again thank you people ) you have been very helpful

Old 30-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Derek Broughton

teeno wrote:

thank you for your reply's i have taken a closer look at one today and
they do look like goldfish now are they going tobe alright thro the
winter in the pond or should i bring a few in doors??
i live in the UK the pond is 3 feet deep and about 6ft by 4 ft

3 ft deep anywhere in England or Wales and most of Scotland should be plenty
deep enough to overwinter goldfish. Is your pond even likely to freeze?
--
derek

Old 30-12-2004, 07:12 PM
teeno

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
teeno wrote:

thank you for your reply's i have taken a closer look at one today and
they do look like goldfish now are they going tobe alright thro the
winter in the pond or should i bring a few in doors??
i live in the UK the pond is 3 feet deep and about 6ft by 4 ft

3 ft deep anywhere in England or Wales and most of Scotland should be

plenty
deep enough to overwinter goldfish. Is your pond even likely to freeze?
--
derek

Derek well it has never frozen before now and it is in a isolated part of
the garden so i dout it will freeze unless we get a very bad winter, also i
leave the pond pump running all year round so there is a constant ripple on
the water so less chance of it freezing there too.

Old 30-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Derek Broughton

teeno wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

3 ft deep anywhere in England or Wales and most of Scotland should be

plenty
deep enough to overwinter goldfish. Is your pond even likely to freeze?

Derek well it has never frozen before now and it is in a isolated part of
the garden so i dout it will freeze unless we get a very bad winter, also
i leave the pond pump running all year round so there is a constant ripple
on the water so less chance of it freezing there too.

If it hasn't frozen before, and it's 3' deep, it isn't going to be a
problem. Even if it does skim over, it's not going to be a hazard. Don't
worry.
--
derek

Old 31-12-2004, 08:48 AM
teeno

teeno wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

3 ft deep anywhere in England or Wales and most of Scotland should be

plenty
deep enough to overwinter goldfish. Is your pond even likely to

freeze?

Derek well it has never frozen before now and it is in a isolated part

of
the garden so i dout it will freeze unless we get a very bad winter,

also
i leave the pond pump running all year round so there is a constant

ripple
on the water so less chance of it freezing there too.

If it hasn't frozen before, and it's 3' deep, it isn't going to be a
problem. Even if it does skim over, it's not going to be a hazard. Don't
worry.
--
derek

Ok Derek thank you for all the help and to the rest of the people thank u

Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote something like:

now i have just noticed that
there are 3 other small grey coloured fish in there i have no idea how

they
got there at all. My question is has someone put them there or are there
other ways of them getting there? and how do i tell just what fish they

are?

Well, when a mommie fish finds a daddie fish and she really really
likes him, she lets him . . .

DRAT!!! You beat me to it...I was hoping to make a nearly inappropriate
joke. *sulk*

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com