Old 31-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Tony M

Default Pond Vacuum hire ....Bucks ?

I have a small pond which has a lot of fine sediment in it, and hasn't been
cleaned for years (as far as I know) - I have been advised that a pond
Vacuum will do the cleaning job - anyone know where I can hire one in the
South Bucks, West London area ?

Thanks

Old 31-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Sacha

On 30/5/04 11:45 pm, in article , "Tony M"
wrote:

I have a small pond which has a lot of fine sediment in it, and hasn't been
cleaned for years (as far as I know) - I have been advised that a pond
Vacuum will do the cleaning job - anyone know where I can hire one in the
South Bucks, West London area ?

I'm not a pond expert but is this a good idea? "Things" could be living in
that sediment, so a buckit and chuckit might be better. If you put the
chuckit on the side of the pond the 'things' can crawl back into it. Just a
thought. I'm also curious as to why you want to clean it out?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 01-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Bob Hobden

"Tony M" wrote in message ...
I have a small pond which has a lot of fine sediment in it, and hasn't

been
cleaned for years (as far as I know) - I have been advised that a pond
Vacuum will do the cleaning job - anyone know where I can hire one in the
South Bucks, West London area ?

If your pond is small then a pond vac may be too powerful for the job, I
lent mine (0.75hp electric motor) to a colleague and by the time he turned
on the power and returned to the pond the pump was dry and the pond was on
his lawn. :-)

You can buy hand pumped ones with a strainer bag so that may be more
appropriate, alternatively use a bucket etc.
There will be a lot of creatures in your sediment BTW but if you let the
pond do what it wants to and fill itself in then they wouldn't have anywhere
to live anyway.
The muck is strong so be careful with it, don't put it too near plants and
never on a lawn.
--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 PM
David W.E. Roberts

wrote:

I have a small pond which has a lot of fine sediment in it, and hasn't

been
cleaned for years (as far as I know) - I have been advised that a pond
Vacuum will do the cleaning job - anyone know where I can hire one in

the
South Bucks, West London area ?

I'm not a pond expert but is this a good idea? "Things" could be living

in
that sediment, so a buckit and chuckit might be better. If you put the
chuckit on the side of the pond the 'things' can crawl back into it. Just

thought. I'm also curious as to why you want to clean it out?

I am considering removing some silt after about 7 years of pond.

Up until this year the pond cleared nicely each yeasr, and runnung the pump
didn't cloud it up.

This year, even though the pump is raised on bricks inside a container to
try and keep foreign objects out, the pump keeps silting up and the water is
generally cloudy.

So the pond probably needs the amount of silt reducing.

I was considering making a 'silt filter' by using the secondary feed from
the pump to circulate water through a sand filter in a tank, but I have no
idea how effective this would be - I may just bucket the silt out and let it
settle, then return as much water as possible and add the silt to the
compost heap.

If anyone has built an effective filter to remove silt, I would be
interested in the design :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 PM
martin

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:35:58 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

I was considering making a 'silt filter' by using the secondary feed from
the pump to circulate water through a sand filter in a tank, but I have no
idea how effective this would be - I may just bucket the silt out and let it
settle, then return as much water as possible and add the silt to the
compost heap.

If anyone has built an effective filter to remove silt, I would be
interested in the design :-)

Years ago in another life I had a holiday job as a waterworks filter
bed attendant. Passing the water through a tank containing quite
course sand cleared the water.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 PM
tuin man

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

If anyone has built an effective filter to remove silt, I would be
interested in the design :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Hmm not sure if this is what you want, but I might have one. I'll have to
check the make/model later. Basically, its a pump that can handle
semi-solods. Silt, if dispersed throughout agitated water does get pumped.
But not the kind of stuff that is dense enough to need to be shovelled out.

Patrick

Old 09-06-2004, 06:48 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"tuin man" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

If anyone has built an effective filter to remove silt, I would be
interested in the design :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Hmm not sure if this is what you want, but I might have one. I'll have to
check the make/model later. Basically, its a pump that can handle
semi-solods. Silt, if dispersed throughout agitated water does get pumped.
But not the kind of stuff that is dense enough to need to be shovelled

out.

It isn't the pump I am looking for - I have a pump that will shift murky
water, as well as the standard pond fountain pump with an extra take off.

I am looking for a device to pump water into which will remove the silt then
return clear water to the pond.

The main issue I see is that an efficient filter will soon clog up with the
amount of silt it is removing.

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. a short burst with a 'wet and dry' vac might clear silt from the bottom
of the pond - plus fish, weed, lining.... ;-)

Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"tuin man" wrote in message

[...]

Tool hire, plant hire, mini digger hire jay_jay54321 Gardening 1 27-05-2013 03:11 AM
Big Bucks Vj1299 Orchids 0 06-05-2003 02:44 PM
Big Bucks Gene Schurg Orchids 1 30-04-2003 06:32 AM
[IBC] ADMIN: LIST MANNERS (was: [IBC] Big Bucks) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 04:45 AM
Big Bucks Vj1299 Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 12:20 AM