Old 07-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Mississippi pond waking up.

Our Mississippi day temps are now consistently in the 60s or better. The
water in the pond is at about 50. Soon, it will be warm enough to feed the
koi.

Jim is replacing our pump. Waterfalls again, soon.

The Water Hyacinths that made it through the winter are jus starting to push
leaves. Interestingly, those in the main pond did not make it. I suspect
the koi saw them as food in the winter. BV, want some once things heat up?

Our parrots' feather and water celery are also starting to send shoots.

About 30 apple snails (Trapdoor) were eggs in October, wintered in my
aquaria, and are 1.5" or so now. Big enough to breed once they go into the
pond.

How nice to have winter end and the season get under way.

May your ponds awake and the chatter on the ng return to ponds.

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 07-03-2005, 02:30 AM
kathy

I turned on my waterfall today.
Rescued a couple snails that lost
hold in the tank and were swirling
to go over the falls and into the
jaws of waiting koi ;-)

Seeing bitty shoots of iris. The
aquatic forget me not is going strong,
some creeping jenny showing up
and the watercress, which only went
into 'stun' is going gangbusters.

kathy

Old 07-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Reel McKoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Our Mississippi day temps are now consistently in the 60s or better. The
water in the pond is at about 50. Soon, it will be warm enough to feed

the
koi.

=================
I'm in TN and our ponds are waking up as well. This afternoon I was turning
over a section of a flower bed and tossing the big, fat juicy worms to the
fish. They snarfed them up like candy. Some of the pond plants have new
sprouts and the daffodils around the ponds are in full bloom.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-03-2005, 02:21 PM
kathy

After a life time of avoiding *touching* worms, after we
put in the pond I have no trouble picking them up with
my fingers and dropping them in the pond.Though I try not
to get too carried away as worms are good garden critters.

Now snails.... that's another story. Land snails are sent
winging into the pond. When we have turtles in the pond
land snails are an wonderful treat, probably full of vitamens
and minerals! Fun to watch a turtle, at full speed (for a turtle)
go after the snails.

kathy

Old 07-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
snip
The Water Hyacinths that made it through the winter are jus starting to

push
leaves. Interestingly, those in the main pond did not make it. I suspect
the koi saw them as food in the winter. BV, want some once things heat

up?
snip

Phyllis and Jim, as always I'll take your overflow...in just a few weeks
things should be warming up here. I can't wait!!! I'll email or post when I
get close.

Thanks!!!

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 AM
news groups

kathy wrote:
I turned on my waterfall today.
Rescued a couple snails that lost
hold in the tank and were swirling
to go over the falls and into the
jaws of waiting koi ;-)

Seeing bitty shoots of iris. The
aquatic forget me not is going strong,
some creeping jenny showing up
and the watercress, which only went
into 'stun' is going gangbusters.

kathy

I may have asked this question already but where in Mississippi? I grew
up in Laurel! :-)
W. Dale
Old 08-03-2005, 02:58 AM
Pam

Hey Jim ad Phyllis,,

Down here in south Mississippi we turned on the pump and started the bio
filter last weekend. Next year we will not turn it off. That last freeze
killed the water hyacinth but the azolla is alive and well.. I am guessing
that it is parrot's feather that has poked little bright green whorls above
the surface of the wate; below the surface the rosy reds are playing and
hiding in it. DId it get cold eneough for your frogs to hibernate? We now
have two frogs where last year there was only one. I thought that silly
frog would hibernate or move elsewhere over the winter, but he did neither.
During the coldest weather we had he sat just below the surface of the water
in a pot of pickeral weed, so he could torment the cat! That is one loud
frog.

Pam

Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hey Pam (Southern greeting!),

Where in South MS are you? We are in Clinton.

On your WH, if the growth center is still hard and the plant floats, they
may well come back. The leaves go in the frost, but a good proportion of
ours come back. The key differentiation is whether the core turns soft or
stays hard. In late March or early April we strip the dead leaves but toss
the cores back into the pond.

Do you have any pics of your pond on the web?

Jim
.. .

Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
~Roy~

The name Laurel rings a bell, but I am lost on the Clinton ..Where
abouts are these two places in conjunction to say Gulfport or
Hatiesburg?

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:21:31 -0600, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

===Hey Pam (Southern greeting!),
===
===Where in South MS are you? We are in Clinton.
===
===On your WH, if the growth center is still hard and the plant floats, they
===may well come back. The leaves go in the frost, but a good proportion of
===ours come back. The key differentiation is whether the core turns soft or
===stays hard. In late March or early April we strip the dead leaves but toss
===the cores back into the pond.
===
===Do you have any pics of your pond on the web?
===
===Jim
==="Pam" wrote in message
.net...
=== Hey Jim ad Phyllis,,
===
[...]
=== ...
[...]
=== --
=== ____________________________________________
=== See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net\p\pwp-jameshurley

Old 09-03-2005, 02:06 AM
news groups

kathy wrote:

I turned on my waterfall today.
Rescued a couple snails that lost
hold in the tank and were swirling
to go over the falls and into the
jaws of waiting koi ;-)

Seeing bitty shoots of iris. The
aquatic forget me not is going strong,
some creeping jenny showing up
and the watercress, which only went
into 'stun' is going gangbusters.

kathy

I may have asked this question already but where in Mississippi? I grew
up in Laurel! :-)
W. Dale

Yes. My mother still live there and was telling me how her flowers are
all in bloom right now. :-) Today in Colorado Springs we had a nice
morning, then a rain storm that turned into some serious snow fall and
by mid afternoon, sunshine again. Typical spring in the Rockies!
W. Dale
Old 09-03-2005, 02:09 AM
news groups

~Roy~ wrote:

The name Laurel rings a bell, but I am lost on the Clinton ..Where
abouts are these two places in conjunction to say Gulfport or
Hatiesburg?

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:21:31 -0600, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

===Hey Pam (Southern greeting!),
===
===Where in South MS are you? We are in Clinton.
===
===On your WH, if the growth center is still hard and the plant floats, they
===may well come back. The leaves go in the frost, but a good proportion of
===ours come back. The key differentiation is whether the core turns soft or
===stays hard. In late March or early April we strip the dead leaves but toss
===the cores back into the pond.
===
===Do you have any pics of your pond on the web?
===
===Jim
==="Pam" wrote in message
h.net...
=== Hey Jim ad Phyllis,,
===
[...]

Laurel is just north of Hattisburg. :-) And Colorado is WAY west and
north of Gulfport :-)
W. Dale
Old 09-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Clinton is next to Jackson (West). Laurel, as noted by news groups, is just
North and East of Hattiesburg. Clinton is about 80 miles north and 30 miles
West of Laurel.

Jim

"~Roy~" wrote in message
The name Laurel rings a bell, but I am lost on the Clinton ..Where
abouts are these two places in conjunction to say Gulfport or
Hatiesburg?

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:21:31 -0600, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

===Hey Pam (Southern greeting!),
===
===Where in South MS are you? We are in Clinton.
===
===On your WH, if the growth center is still hard and the plant floats,

they
===may well come back. The leaves go in the frost, but a good

proportion of
===ours come back. The key differentiation is whether the core turns

soft or
===stays hard. In late March or early April we strip the dead leaves

but toss
===the cores back into the pond.
===
===Do you have any pics of your pond on the web?
===
===Jim
==="Pam" wrote in message
.net...