Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Reel McKoi

Default A Frog-Bog...

OK, the rock necklace is back around the kiddy pool and the little water
fall is running. If it starts leaking again I'm turning it into a frog-bog.
) I'll put a foot of soil on the bottom and plant my lotus in it.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
To avoid seeing crossposts from ARJW/Jabriol

Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 PM
kathy

The only problem I have with my frog bog
is weeding it. Water plants are tough! And trying
to get them out takes real muscle power. But that
said, I don't really know how to remedy it (lift
more weights in the off season?). But it is still
my favorite pond project and if we ever move I'll
build another one (and a stream and a formal pond
and, and...)

kathy :-)

Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

The only problem I have with my frog bog
is weeding it. Water plants are tough! And trying
to get them out takes real muscle power. But that
said, I don't really know how to remedy it (lift
more weights in the off season?).

$$ Well this is only a 150 gallon lined in-ground kiddypool so weeding
shouldn't be too much of a problem. All I'll put in there is my Lotus
plant. Since it's right off the front porch I can spot any weeds that try
to get a foothold.

But it is still
my favorite pond project and if we ever move I'll
build another one (and a stream and a formal pond
and, and...)

$$ I know what you mean. I don't want a stream but have dreamed of a
beautiful rock waterfall for my larger pond for several years. We just
can't afford to hire someone to do it. Worse yet, it's on a slope which
would have it facing away from the house.... *sigh*....

kathy :-)

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
To avoid seeing crossposts from ARJW/Jabriol
Killfile:
Cracklin' Rosie
Jabriol
Norman Nescio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel McKoi wrote:

To avoid seeing crossposts from ARJW/Jabriol
Killfile:
Cracklin' Rosie
Jabriol

I've got a better idea. Stop referring to him. I was doing really well by
killing anything crossposted to rec.ponds and alt.religion (OK, ponds
_could_ be a religion, but there's still not enough genuine crossover that
I'd miss much). Now you've dragged him back with a different set of
cross-postings.
--
derek

Old 09-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Reel McKoi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
I've got a better idea. Stop referring to him. I was doing really well

by
killing anything crossposted to rec.ponds and alt.religion (OK, ponds
_could_ be a religion, but there's still not enough genuine crossover that
I'd miss much). Now you've dragged him back with a different set of
cross-postings.

======================
I don't SEE any cross-posting in OE6 when I post here. How can that be?
When I see them I remove them. I can't remove them if I don't see them. Am
I missing something? Can it be the newsserver? All I see in the newsgroup
section of THIS POST is rec.ponds.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Shared-Secrets is not an anonymous remailer,

Old 09-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel McKoi wrote:

I don't SEE any cross-posting in OE6 when I post here. How can that be?
When I see them I remove them. I can't remove them if I don't see them.
Am
I missing something? Can it be the newsserver? All I see in the
newsgroup section of THIS POST is rec.ponds.

Sorry, not _your_ crossposts - his. He just responded to your use of his
name - and then cross-posted his followup to a bunch of newsgroups that I
wasn't filtering out.
--
derek

Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

The only problem I have with my frog bog
is weeding it. Water plants are tough! And trying
to get them out takes real muscle power. But that
said, I don't really know how to remedy it (lift
more weights in the off season?). But it is still
my favorite pond project and if we ever move I'll
build another one (and a stream and a formal pond
and, and...)

What about potting the plants, and burying the pots? Then at least, with a
shovel you can cut anything that has jumped the pot, pull the pot out, and
work from there?

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 09-03-2005, 06:48 PM
kathy

BV wrote What about potting the plants, and burying the pots? Then at
least, with a
shovel you can cut anything that has jumped the pot, pull the pot out,
and
work from there?

That would be a good idea for the next frog bog
but alas nothing short of a stick of dynamite will
budge the cattails in there now. Youngest son is
an offensive tackle, big, strong kid, and he can't get them
to budge.
But we did get enough space clear for the next batch of
frogs this year.
Now the worry is with the drought out here to keep enough
water in it.
(If it's not one thing it's another...)

kathy :-)

Old 09-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

That would be a good idea for the next frog bog
but alas nothing short of a stick of dynamite will
budge the cattails in there now.

================================
I planted the plants in gravel in my first pond. Never again! What a job
getting them out without ripping or puncturing the liner. Everything goes
in pots now. If I turn the kiddypool into a frogbog I will plant the Lotus
right in soil, cover that will gravel and let it go wild.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Reel McKoi

Reel McKoi wrote:

I don't SEE any cross-posting in OE6 when I post here. How can that be?
When I see them I remove them. I can't remove them if I don't see them.
Am
I missing something? Can it be the newsserver? All I see in the
newsgroup section of THIS POST is rec.ponds.

Sorry, not _your_ crossposts - his. He just responded to your use of his
name - and then cross-posted his followup to a bunch of newsgroups that I
wasn't filtering out.
--
derek

===================
OK, I will post here using *this* other newsserver called news.aioe.org.
Even if I don't or can't see any other NGs in the Newsgroup field - it will
NOT cross-post. :-)))

Old 09-03-2005, 08:56 PM
small fish

Reel McKoi wrote:

I don't SEE any cross-posting in OE6 when I post here. How can that be?
When I see them I remove them. I can't remove them if I don't see them.
Am
I missing something? Can it be the newsserver? All I see in the
newsgroup section of THIS POST is rec.ponds.

Sorry, not _your_ crossposts - his. He just responded to your use of his
name - and then cross-posted his followup to a bunch of newsgroups that I
wasn't filtering out.

No, they *are* her crossposts as well, Derek. Her nemesis adds others,
including rec.ponds. She spews, he spews, regs in other groups reply.
It's extremely odd about her claim she can't see the crossposts,
considering she has time to alter the Subject line, add new sigs, cut and
paste boilerplate from a file of canned replies, and change her account
details in the huge number of groups she floods.
Carol is basically a lying hypocrite.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
BV wrote What about potting the plants, and burying the pots? Then at
least, with a
shovel you can cut anything that has jumped the pot, pull the pot out,
and
work from there?

That would be a good idea for the next frog bog
but alas nothing short of a stick of dynamite will
budge the cattails in there now. Youngest son is
an offensive tackle, big, strong kid, and he can't get them
to budge.
But we did get enough space clear for the next batch of
frogs this year.
Now the worry is with the drought out here to keep enough
water in it.
(If it's not one thing it's another...)

There's always "Better Living Through Chemistry".

Old 09-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

That would be a good idea for the next frog bog
but alas nothing short of a stick of dynamite will
budge the cattails in there now.

I planted the plants in gravel in my first pond. Never again! What a job
getting them out without ripping or puncturing the liner. Everything goes
in pots now. If I turn the kiddypool into a frogbog I will plant the

Lotus
right in soil, cover that will gravel and let it go wild.

My iris are in pots in the VF. This past fall I took them out to sink them
in the pond. They were one large mass. The roots lept from the pots, and
joined each other. There was little help provided by the pots. Massive
plants. I have lots of splitting to do this year.