Old 29-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Charles

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:11:28 -0400, "kc"
wrote:

I've been leafing through my Drs Foste and Smith water gardens supply
catalog, and I see a couple things like a pond leaf eater and pond mini vac
that work by attaching to a garden hose...has anyone tried these and do they
work? I've got about a 1,000 gallon pond and I need to get some leaves off
the bottom...
Kirsten

I have the Muck-Vac model of those. It plugs with leaves, is a
nuisance. It is good for just the muck that builds up on the bottom,
though.

Other brands may handle leaves better.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 29-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Reel McKoi

news
wrote:

I've been leafing through my Drs Foste and Smith water gardens supply
catalog, and I see a couple things like a pond leaf eater and pond mini

vac
that work by attaching to a garden hose...has anyone tried these and do

they
work? I've got about a 1,000 gallon pond and I need to get some leaves

off
the bottom...
Kirsten

I have the Muck-Vac model of those. It plugs with leaves, is a
nuisance. It is good for just the muck that builds up on the bottom,
though.

Other brands may handle leaves better.

==========================
I bought the $50 pump pond vac and wasted my money. Everything clogged it.
It was useless.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 30-03-2005, 05:29 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:11:28 -0400, "kc" wrote:

I've been leafing through my Drs Foste and Smith water gardens supply
catalog, and I see a couple things like a pond leaf eater and pond mini vac
that work by attaching to a garden hose...has anyone tried these and do they
work? I've got about a 1,000 gallon pond and I need to get some leaves off
the bottom...
Kirsten

If you have a shop vac (wet/dry) pull the paper filter off and try that
first. You may be amazed. I was when I first tried it with mine. Now I
recommend that over anything else.

The garden hose thing, I've got one, as other said, it will clog
constantly..... assuming it sucks much off the bottom in the first place.
The things with outside netting to catch stuff, can stir up some pretty
toxic water. Shop vacs remove all. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-03-2005, 07:16 PM
San Diego Joe

"kc" wrote:

I've been leafing through my Drs Foste and Smith water gardens supply
catalog, and I see a couple things like a pond leaf eater and pond mini vac
that work by attaching to a garden hose...has anyone tried these and do they
work? I've got about a 1,000 gallon pond and I need to get some leaves off
the bottom...
Kirsten

Hey KC,
Can you fix the date on your computer (I'm guessing this is the problem).
Your posts always seem to be at the top of the list. This subject for
example, is dated July 28.

Thank you,

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Old 31-03-2005, 08:17 AM
kc

Thanks, all, I will try the shop vac instead--Jan, what brand do you have?
Kirsten
"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
news:1112206629.8636999f43293b8505e52bfbfc5b54d2@t eranews...

Old 31-03-2005, 05:21 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:17:14 -0500, "kc" wrote:

Thanks, all, I will try the shop vac instead--Jan, what brand do you have?
Kirsten

Craftsman (I think) from Sears. Has a 12 gallon capacity drum.
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 01-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We have a hose item from Home Depot. It is on wheels, round, has a large
bag on top and jets that push leaves up into the bag. Works fine. Fine
muck goes right thru it. We use our pool leaf bag most of the time as the
wheels of the round thing stick on bits of gravel.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Yabbadoo

The "vacs" that work with water pressure, either hose or pump, are a waste
of time and money. They're cumbersome, messy and the vacuuming takes
FOREVER.
When I can afford it, I may invest in an electric water vacuum cleaner.
Mean-time I use a large extending triangular fish net with fine mesh which
does the job far more efficiently than the hose vac. However, it does cause
wear on the netting (scraping the bottom). Cost-effective PROVIDED you can
get one at the "right" price - Lidl (UK store similar to Walmart) had them a
while back at about £3 (versus £20 in the fish store) - and so far it's
lasted 2 years and counting.
The hose water vac cost me about £28 and is a total waste of dosh,
especially as the neoprene O rings perished after 18 months. They are also
expensive to replace (if you can source them).
My pond is similar to yours ...I've about 800 gallons (Imperial, not US
gallons).

Old 04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
kc

Thanks all for your advice, and sorry for the wrong date on my original
post--I was checking dates for a trip I'm taking this summer on my
computer's calendar and forget to change it back...if anyone knows if I can
fix this after the fact let me know.
Kirsten

Old 05-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Yabbadoo

Sorry, no, you can't change a posting date after posting - only the News
Server Administrator could possibly do that, and it's unlikely he would
bother with a trivial detail.
Come July 29th, it won't be a problem - till then this post thread will
remain "top of the list" (immortality of a sort). Do hope it doesn't set a
trend.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Yabbadoo wrote:

Sorry, no, you can't change a posting date after posting - only the News
Server Administrator could possibly do that, and it's unlikely he would
bother with a trivial detail.

The poster can usually cancel a post, but it's really not worth the trouble
(especially since many news hosts will refuse to honor cancels anyway).
--
derek