Old 15-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Elaine T

Default Tomcat scaring fish?

I have a black tomcat that comes to drink from the pond. Now the
shubies in that barrel never come to the surface when I'm there. When I
first got them, they played in the filter outflow and were always
cruising the duckweed hunting for food. Now I put food in and it
disappears only after I walk away from the pond. Every now and again I
see a flash of color so I know they're alive.

Will bird netting stop a cat, or is there any way to "reassure" the fish
so I can actually see them and know they're healthy? Is the cat even
what's troubling the fish?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 15-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Bill Stock

"Elaine T" wrote in message
I have a black tomcat that comes to drink from the pond. Now the shubies
in that barrel never come to the surface when I'm there. When I first got
them, they played in the filter outflow and were always cruising the
duckweed hunting for food. Now I put food in and it disappears only after
I walk away from the pond. Every now and again I see a flash of color so I
know they're alive.

Will bird netting stop a cat, or is there any way to "reassure" the fish
so I can actually see them and know they're healthy? Is the cat even
what's troubling the fish?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

My mother lived in a Condo that had a fish pond. But they had to stop
stocking it, as the cats ate all the GF.

Old 16-04-2005, 04:15 AM
Gail Futoran

"Elaine T" wrote in message
I have a black tomcat that comes to drink from the pond. Now the shubies
in that barrel never come to the surface when I'm there. When I first got
them, they played in the filter outflow and were always cruising the
duckweed hunting for food. Now I put food in and it disappears only after
I walk away from the pond. Every now and again I see a flash of color so I
know they're alive.

Will bird netting stop a cat, or is there any way to "reassure" the fish
so I can actually see them and know they're healthy? Is the cat even
what's troubling the fish?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Probably a good idea to put netting over the pond.
That should discourage the cat from drinking, and
make it more likely the fish will reappear for you.

The goldfish and minnows in my two above-ground
(stocktank) ponds come to the surface to feed and
are only a little bit skittish. The minnows in my
in-ground (liner) pond I almost never see, probably
thanks to the many birds that drink from the pond.

Gail

Old 16-04-2005, 05:18 AM
Elaine T

Bill Stock wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message

I have a black tomcat that comes to drink from the pond. Now the shubies
in that barrel never come to the surface when I'm there. When I first got
them, they played in the filter outflow and were always cruising the
duckweed hunting for food. Now I put food in and it disappears only after
I walk away from the pond. Every now and again I see a flash of color so I
know they're alive.

Will bird netting stop a cat, or is there any way to "reassure" the fish
so I can actually see them and know they're healthy? Is the cat even
what's troubling the fish?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

My mother lived in a Condo that had a fish pond. But they had to stop
stocking it, as the cats ate all the GF.

Fortunately, I think the cat would have to go swimming to get to the
inside of the clay pot "cave" at the bottom of the barrel.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 16-04-2005, 05:21 AM
Elaine T

Gail Futoran wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message

[...]

I finally got to watch the some of the goldies eat today. I think I
will net, though. This will be a trick with all my marginals and
floaters sticking out of the barrels. Maybe I'll cut a hole in the
center for an "island" of water hyacinth and lettuce. That'll keep it
out of the spillways too.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 23-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Elaine,

Catch the cat and call the dog catcher to come and pick it up. It is being
a nuisance as far as I can see. So you are within your rights.

Tom L.L.

Old 24-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Elaine T

Tom L. La Bron wrote:
Elaine,

Catch the cat and call the dog catcher to come and pick it up. It is being
a nuisance as far as I can see. So you are within your rights.

I've thought of catching it because I think it's a feral. The bad side
is that it would probably be killed in the pound. I frighten it away
every time it comes and I haven't seen it in the yard for a while so it
might be working.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Tom L.L.

Old 24-04-2005, 01:00 PM

no! don't call someone to remove it. they will more than likely kill
it. if by some chance it's a decent pound, they may just nuter and give
it it's shots and release it somewhere.

i have 4 cats. i have several aquariums inside and they are allowed to
see the pond outside. they all like to drink aquarium/pond water but
they don't hurt the fish. the only fish they can catch are the dead
ones or ones that have jumped out of the aquarium. cats are not good
hunters when it comes to water. fish are simply too quick and the cats
don't want to get wet.

maybe with the weather warming up your goldfish want to stay at the
bottom where it's cooler? just a thought.

Old 24-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Sorry Elaine,

You have to make a decision. If it is feral it is probably better off at
the pound and the subsequent result.

What is interesting is if it was a feral dog you probably would have called
the dog catcher a long time ago. A cat is no different. If it is suppose to
be a pet the person should have it at their home or in their yard and/or in
their home. Cat are just as bad as dogs now-a-days. Catch it or call
Animal control. If that is a problem start feeding it get it its shots and
keep it in your house and yard, but don'd let it roam.

Tom L.L.
"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...

Old 24-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Tom L. La Bron

What a bunch of horse crap. I have lost numerous fish to cats. Last year I
lost 3/4 inch baby Ranchus to Cats and this year I put Phoenix outside in
floating cage and the damn cats messed with them and I have two left, so
don't tell me that they won't bother the fish.

If the animal control would neuter the cat and release it somewhere else.
These people should be fired. Cat got into my garage and messed up my
Christmas decorations and crapped in there. It smells terrible this Spring,
so do give me this poor cat stuff.

In L.A there are 8 million people and 23 million cats, most feral living on
garbage and in abandoned cars.

If you want cats keep them and take care of them, but don't let them roam.

Tom L.L..
oups.com...

Old 25-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
Sorry Elaine,

You have to make a decision. If it is feral it is probably better off at
the pound and the subsequent result.

Now thats a bunch of horse crap. If you live in an area where Feral cats
(Like I do) are a problem you will NEVER get rid of all of them. Generally
cats have a territory roughly the size of a football field which they
'patrol'. You can kill off the one that visits your pond but I guarantee
that within 2 weeks there will be another to take its place. The only way to
control this would be to literally wipe out all the feral cats in the
vicinity. Good luck in getting that right. FWIW I have 2 cats and my place
has a massive 'nature sanctuary' next door that is LOADED with Ferals and in
the last 6 months (since the pond was built) I have not lost one fish. If
you have a Feral tom cat that frequents your pond for water and does not
bother the fish then you should try and make friends with it, offer some
milk and food or something to make sure it keeps coming back. This will
ensure that he stays around protecting 'his territory' thus keeping other
potential fish eating ferals away. Kapeesh? YMMV. Good luck
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 25-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Elaine T

Happy'Cam'per wrote:
[...]

I doubt I'd lose a fish. There's a clay pot cave at the bottom of the
barrel and the cat would literally have to go swimming to get to the
fish if they're hidden down there. I have yet to see a cat hungry
enough to swim. I haven't seen the cat for over a week now, so I may
have scared him off.

I'm still not seeing fish except for on fleeting runs for the surface at
feeding time. Wish I could get them more confident again - they used to
play in the spillway splash all the time.

I picked up some bird netting, and I think I'm going to net the edges of
the barrel where the fish live so just in case the cat comes back, he
will have to drink from the one with the gambusia. That way, goldfish
and cat should be able to coexist.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 26-04-2005, 04:09 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Elaine,

If you don't think that the cat will take a fish, I have a bridge in the
desert that I would be willing to sell you cheap.

By-the-by, that is a good idea to get of the cat by putting netting over the
pond. That way the cat can get caught in the netting, fall into the pond
and drown, that way you won't have to call animal control, so all you have
to do is just dig a deep hole in the back year and plant a bush over the
body.

Tom L.L.
"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...

Pigeon scaring mogga United Kingdom 9 03-06-2010 08:41 AM
Tomcat Mole Bait [email protected] Gardening 2 25-08-2006 08:06 PM
Algae free fish tank vs Algae fish tank -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 23-10-2003 03:03 AM
Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours. [email protected] Ponds 99 20-08-2003 08:02 AM
SOS! SICK FISH!/do all dead fish float?/Melafix?/Furanase Jo Bohannon-Grant MD Ponds 3 10-06-2003 04:08 AM