Old 18-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Gareee©

Default Just had a filter "kickstart" idea... Anyone tried Rid-X?

The septic tank additive.. since it has bacteria and enzymes for them, it
might be a good internal additive for inside pond filters.

Has anyone tried this? Is it safe for waterlife?

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 18-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Gareee©

"Gareee©" wrote in message
The septic tank additive.. since it has bacteria and enzymes for them, it
might be a good internal additive for inside pond filters.

Has anyone tried this? Is it safe for waterlife?

Ok, after googling a bit, it does seem like a beneficial addition to pond
filter systems.

Is there a good cheap common source of beneficial bacteria as well?

Old 18-04-2005, 08:45 PM

i would not put anything ment for a septic tank in my pond. for
beneficial bacterial, look for "cycle" at your local aquarium store.
it's liquid with bacteria, commonly used for starting aquariums. you
can get fairly large bottles of it.

Old 18-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Gareee©

wrote in message
oups.com...
i would not put anything ment for a septic tank in my pond. for
beneficial bacterial, look for "cycle" at your local aquarium store.
it's liquid with bacteria, commonly used for starting aquariums. you
can get fairly large bottles of it.

Google Pond and Rid-x... it sound like it is the exact same thing, and some
people add it monthly to aid decomposition.

Old 19-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Andy Hill

"Gareee©" wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...
i would not put anything ment for a septic tank in my pond. for
beneficial bacterial, look for "cycle" at your local aquarium store.
it's liquid with bacteria, commonly used for starting aquariums. you
can get fairly large bottles of it.

Google Pond and Rid-x... it sound like it is the exact same thing, and some
people add it monthly to aid decomposition.

A septic tank is an anaerobic environment; a pond / pond filter is (hopefully)
an aerobic environment. The enzymes might do some good (assuming they're
fish-safe), the bacteria won't survive.

Old 19-04-2005, 01:54 AM
~Roy~

I heard a long long time ago Rid-X was nothing more than a strong mix
of common brewers yeasts, which will also add beneficial bacteria to a
septic tank, and would not hurt a pond either......

Old 19-04-2005, 05:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"~Roy~" wrote in message
I heard a long long time ago Rid-X was nothing more than a strong mix
of common brewers yeasts, which will also add beneficial bacteria to a
septic tank, and would not hurt a pond either......

snip

Ahh the converting my pond to beer thread...I remember it well. Ahhhh...

--
BV
http://www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-04-2005, 01:49 AM

have you ever seen what happens when you put yeast into an aquaruim?
the water turns white and starts to smell like barf. young yeast cells
grow on the walls like white fur, inches long. this process uses all
available oxygen in the water, there is none left for the fish. the
plants aborb the yeast and release it. even if they are moved to a new
body of water, they will soon start to release the yeast they have
stored and convert the clear water to a milky, furry and smelly
substance.

the only way to remove it is to boil the tank contents and discard the
plants. if any fish survive, they should be ok. i don't know too much
about septic tanks but i know a lot about aquariums and unfortunatley
what happens when you put yeast in them. in my case it was baking yeast
that a cat knocked into a tank.

but if you feel condifent in your method, give it a try and let me know
how it goes.

Old 20-04-2005, 02:21 AM
~Roy~

On 19 Apr 2005 17:49:31 -0700, "
wrote:

===have you ever seen what happens when you put yeast into an aquaruim?
===the water turns white and starts to smell like barf. young yeast cells
===grow on the walls like white fur, inches long. this process uses all
===available oxygen in the water, there is none left for the fish. the
===plants aborb the yeast and release it. even if they are moved to a new
===body of water, they will soon start to release the yeast they have
===stored and convert the clear water to a milky, furry and smelly
===substance.
===
===the only way to remove it is to boil the tank contents and discard the
===plants. if any fish survive, they should be ok. i don't know too much
===about septic tanks but i know a lot about aquariums and unfortunatley
===what happens when you put yeast in them. in my case it was baking yeast
===that a cat knocked into a tank.
===
===but if you feel condifent in your method, give it a try and let me know
===how it goes.

I don;t have to worry about kick starting my pond, its a natural pond
been kicking itself for over 20 some years now.....I was just passing
on something i heard stated about using brewers yeast. Also heard you
can use baker yeast as well....don;t really know one way or another.

I have seen some of the so called stuff they sell used in another
liner type pond of my friends, and it stated to apply so much of it
inside the filter box, and spread some around surface of pond. It
appeared to do what you description of what yeast does.....I sort of
turned the water in the area that had it sprinkled on top a milky
white color, and even months later inside the filter box the stuff was
a reall yucky slimey mess, reminded you of soggy cornmeal............

Old 20-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:22:05 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote something like:
"~Roy~" wrote in message
. ..
I heard a long long time ago Rid-X was nothing more than a strong mix
of common brewers yeasts, which will also add beneficial bacteria to a
septic tank, and would not hurt a pond either......

snip

Ahh the converting my pond to beer thread...I remember it well. Ahhhh...

Make mine Yuengling Lager. I am converting beer to pond chemicals.
--
Crashj

Old 22-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Mickey

If you want to kick start your pond clean out your aquarium filters in it or
a neighbors if you don't have one. I keep my fish in the house over the
winter when it starts to get warm I clean the filters out in the pond to
give it a jump start.