Old 02-05-2005, 08:01 PM
humBill

Default Missing scales on comets

Hi all - Well, my first question of the new season. You trained me well last
year, so I already checked water parameters, nonetheless here's the problem.
Some comets seem to be missing some scales. In some cases it's just one or
two here, a couple more there, maybe 10 total at random. In others there is
more missing and will sometimes look like a wide scratch or abrasion. Most
recently I just noticed one who has what appears to be a large scrape right
on his forehead (all the others are on their sides). I have shubunkins,
short fin and long fin comets, a few fantail goldfish and a few small koi.
Only the comets seem to have the 'problem', and most of them are the larger
(5-6") commons. Only about 10-15% are affected at all. No signs of fin rot.
I have seen a couple of great blue herons flying by, but I dont believe any
fish are missing and it seems unlikely the same fish would have been wounded
a number of times and most of the others unharmed. They are not skiddish.

The only three wild guesses I have are
1) one of our 4 cats does get down and nearly put his nose in the water
occasionally, watching the fish. However I have never observed it actually
swiping at them. I was also told cats would rarely put much of there paws
in the water. Unless they are more cautious, none of the slower swimming
fantails have any problem. Also as mentioned there are only a few places
that resemble a 'scratch'.
2) I do have some concrete bricks around the side which some of my plants
sit on, but by in large I don't think there are many narrow places for them
to have to squeeze through.
3) I have wondered about parasites, but thus far there are no bacterial
infections and I first notice many of these problems when the water was sub
feeding temperature.
So, any thoughts?
Thanxx
Bill

Old 02-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Charles

On Mon, 02 May 2005 19:01:04 GMT, "humBill"
wrote:

[...]

Damage from spawning activity too close to the bricks.

The damage will most likely heal without after effects, except they
won't be show quality any more.

that's my guess, anyway.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:46 PM
humBill

sounds like a possibilty - that would certainly account for mostly the same
breed and not all of the. 'show quality' - lol - I know what you mean, but
most of these were show quality 25 cent feeders to start with.
Thanxx
Bill

Old 02-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Reel McKoi

"humBill" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all - Well, my first question of the new season. You trained me well

last
year, so I already checked water parameters, nonetheless here's the

problem.
Some comets seem to be missing some scales.

==========
Could it be they had a rough time spawning? Some of my koi look a bit "beat
up." I just added KoiZyme to the ponds yesterday.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 03-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Chet

humBill wrote:

Some comets seem to be missing some scales. In some cases it's just one or
two here, a couple more there, maybe 10 total at random. In others there is
more missing and will sometimes look like a wide scratch or abrasion. Most
recently I just noticed one who has what appears to be a large scrape right
on his forehead (all the others are on their sides).

I agree with the others, it's spawning activity. I watched it with my
fish and took pics. (Of course, I got a ration from forum ppl...). I
added some pond salt at a 1% level to ease and speed the healing.

Wetbug

Old 04-05-2005, 04:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Thanxx - Will 1% levels kill submerged plants and tadpoles?
Bill

Not to mention the fish. The correct amount I hope the OP meant is 0.1% or
13 ounces of salt per 100 gallons. I've never had plants even notice this
amount. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Swollen, protruding scales? Heather Ponds 15 16-09-2004 04:49 PM
Goldfish scales Glenn Lynn Ponds 2 21-05-2004 04:20 PM
Suicidal koi survives...can it grow new scales? Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 13 17-07-2003 06:08 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 10:58 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 04:43 PM