Old 08-05-2005, 07:14 AM
George

Default PONDS: Mysterious appearance of Newbie II

Hi boys and girls. I thought I would update you on the developments since my
last post. Some of you may recall my post of 4/25, about finding a goldfish in
my pond that appeared to be about 3-4 months old. Well, I guess it is still in
there, although I haven't seen it in a couple of days (there are lots of places
for a small black fish to hide in the pond). I'm still at a loss as to where he
come from since if my fish spawned him, they would have had to spawn him in the
dead of winter (that would be below frezing in these parts, so what are the
chances they would have spawned in that weather). A midget from last year? Not
likely because it still has its baby black. I have yet to see any others.

On another, related note, it is Kentucky Derby day (or was - its' after
mid-night here) here in, where else, 'Derby City' (Louisville's nickname).
Early this morning at about 6:30 A.M. I got up to do some early chores to get
ready for the day's festivities, and while getting a glass of water, I looked
out my kitchen window and noticed that all of the fish were swimming around in a
frenzy, even the Koi. I went out to check on them, and yes, they are spawning
(I don't think the Koi were actually spawning, just curious). The water is all
frothy, like last year. I have at least five females who are all battered one
the side from the efforts (just like my big female was last year). I found one
this afternoon hiding behind the filter beneath the waterfall (it was one of my
two year old goldfish - one of the 'feeders' I bought originally to feed to my
catfish, who apparently wasn't interested at the time). This is the same place
my big female spawned last year to eventually produce the 8 yearlings I have now
(who are three times the size of this black mystery newbie, are a multitude of
colors, and very nice). They appear to like this location as it is sheltered,
there are cattails nearby, and it is a hard place to get in and out of. The
catfish can't touch them there. One thing seems certain, I'm going to have a
heck of a lot of fry this year.

On another note, when I was in college years ago, my wife and I (we were dating
at the time) used to go out to a Pizza joint on the other side of town that had
great live music. The name of the place was Jockamos. We used to go there
every weekend. It was a local college hangout (alas, they went belly up - too
much 'free beer', I suppose). The food was lousy, but the beer and song was
wonderful. Well, what does this have to do with anything? Well, the horse that
won the Derby, a 50-1 nag, was names Giacomo (pronounced, Jockamo). Dabnabbit!
What was I thinking? To think what I would have made had I bet on this three
year old diamond-in-the-rough.

Enjoy the spring. It won't last much longer.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Cracklin'

"George" wrote in message
[...]

## A few of mine from last summer are still dark. Some are also small,
probably from the last spawning. Also, eggs may have been carried in on
something. It may not even be a goldfish. One summer my neighbor had
sunfish in his stock pond. No one knew where they came from.....

On another, related note, it is Kentucky Derby day (or was - its' after
mid-night here) here in, where else, 'Derby City' (Louisville's

nickname).
Early this morning at about 6:30 A.M. I got up to do some early chores to

get
ready for the day's festivities, and while getting a glass of water, I

looked
out my kitchen window and noticed that all of the fish were swimming

around in a
frenzy, even the Koi. I went out to check on them, and yes, they are

spawning
(I don't think the Koi were actually spawning, just curious). The water

is all
frothy, like last year.

## Sounds like spawning to me.

[...]

## And a self-supporting hobby! :-)))

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
EVERYONE: "Please check people's

Old 08-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
Hi boys and girls. I thought I would update you on the developments since

my
last post. Some of you may recall my post of 4/25, about finding a

goldfish in
my pond that appeared to be about 3-4 months old. Well, I guess it is

still in
==================
Sorry forgot to change servers.
Aioe has missed some messages so I switched to S-S for that one!
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Bill Stock

"George" wrote in message
[...]

My GF are also spawning today. Four or five suitors are pestering one larger
female. They are also cavorting behind the waterfall, which just got turned
on yesterday. I didn't have any fry survive last year, so they'll likely all
become fish food again this year.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Reel McKoi

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
My GF are also spawning today. Four or five suitors are pestering one

larger
female. They are also cavorting behind the waterfall, which just got

turned
on yesterday. I didn't have any fry survive last year, so they'll likely

all
become fish food again this year.

If you want some to survive add "bushy" pond plants. Hornwart and parrots
feather are cheap and work well. Put them where the current is the gentlest
or there is no current at all.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
EVERYONE: "To persevere in one's duty and