Old 24-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Tom Puskar

Default Herons

I was just outside and saw what I believe to be a heron in one of the trees
overlooking my pond. I chased it away and then checked my ponds. Four fish
are missing!

I don't know how long this creature has been stalking my goldfish. I know
yesterday there were 6 in my upper pond and now I can only see 4.

I put a net over the pond that I use in the fall to catch leaves but it
isn't very attractive.

I have a lower pond which has most of the fish and I need to protect them.

How do I do that? Any ideas would be appreciated.

First the ducks, now the herons. What's next, the eagle?

Tom from Howell, NJ

Old 24-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Reel McKoi

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
I was just outside and saw what I believe to be a heron in one of the

trees
overlooking my pond. I chased it away and then checked my ponds. Four

fish
are missing!

I don't know how long this creature has been stalking my goldfish. I know
yesterday there were 6 in my upper pond and now I can only see 4.

I put a net over the pond that I use in the fall to catch leaves but it
isn't very attractive.

## Those fine black bird nets are the least obvious.

I have a lower pond which has most of the fish and I need to protect them.

How do I do that? Any ideas would be appreciated.

## The only thing that worked for us was nets. But then we also had snakes,
bullfrogs, King Fishers and mudturtles invading our ponds. We were losing
fish as fast as I could get to the city to buy more.... :-(

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 24-05-2005, 11:34 PM
kathy

Besides netting you can try electric
fencing and motion activated sprinklers.
Depends on your yard and how your
pond is situated in your yard.
Takes some experimentation!

kathy :-)
www.blogfromtheblog.com
there is an article about herons
archived under April.

Old 25-05-2005, 08:41 PM
///Owen\\\\\\

Tom Puskar wrote:
I was just outside and saw what I believe to be a heron in one of the
trees overlooking my pond. I chased it away and then checked my
ponds. Four fish are missing!

I don't know how long this creature has been stalking my goldfish. I
know yesterday there were 6 in my upper pond and now I can only see 4.

I put a net over the pond that I use in the fall to catch leaves but
it isn't very attractive.

I have a lower pond which has most of the fish and I need to protect
them.
How do I do that? Any ideas would be appreciated.

First the ducks, now the herons. What's next, the eagle?

Tom from Howell, NJ

I put in an electric fence... ugly, but the heron only needed to touch it
once... he's never been back

John

Old 26-05-2005, 03:53 AM
Courageous

First the ducks, now the herons. What's next, the eagle?

"Oh look, an eagle!"

http://www.pocketmovies.net/detail_91.html

C//

Old 27-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Otto Pylot wrote:

We are having the same problem here. Not a whole lot that can be done.
Some folks say to use a crane (heron) decoy but the results that I've
seen are less than stellar. A small fence, about 3 feet high and 3 feet
away from the water edge seems to be the most effective. We chose not
to do either because it looks ugly. Howeve, if we lose anymore
fish........

Fishing line, instead of the fence, should be just as effective, cheaper,
and far less unsightly.
--
derek
Old 29-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Greg Cooper

kathy wrote:

Besides netting you can try electric
fencing and motion activated sprinklers.
Depends on your yard and how your
pond is situated in your yard.
Takes some experimentation!

kathy :-)
www.blogfromtheblog.com
there is an article about herons
archived under April.

Also make sure that your fish have several places to hide either create
a "cave" by placeing a piece of slate across two rocks or place large
flower pots in the water. Also some people find brightly colored fish
decoys to take the herons first strike effective.

Good luck

Lawn Ornaments/Cranes, Herons Barbara2245 Ponds 6 15-01-2004 03:22 PM
HERONS/deer/small animals Loretta,Victoria, B.C. Ponds 11 15-06-2003 01:56 PM
Speaking of Herons Priscilla McCullough Ponds 8 13-06-2003 08:08 PM
Herons Andrew Burgess Ponds 5 14-03-2003 12:57 AM
Ponds, Herons and Lil'uns Victoria Clare United Kingdom 13 28-01-2003 06:02 PM