Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Gary Woods

Default Pond on a beautiful summer day

At long last! I took a friend's son on a paddleboat ride to see what was
going on in the pond. Lots.... on his own, he asked if we could just float
in the middle (not huge; about 2/3 acre) and look. Lots of teenage bass
checked us out, and a mystery: a just opened pure white hardy lily from
what I could swear is a division of "Sumptuosa," which is a variable deep
red! And the only white lilies I have are a couple of "Virginalis," bought
from Lilypons last year, and accounted for on the other side, and not yet
blooming. The pink "Fabiola" lilies are just starting to bloom; they're my
favorite for lots of nice flowers.
The wintered over lotus with no name is putting up leaves, and the 2 new
arrivals are starting up, though slowly.
And the redwing blackbirds view this new sea monster with great alarm,
despite my assurances that we mean their family no harm. Just being good
future parents in a harsh world, I'm sure.
Lower seventies, mixed sun and fair-weather clouds. Couldn't be a finer
day!

Old 05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
kathy

We are having a repeat of spring.
Windy and rainy!

DH and youngest son are climbing on Mt.
Adam's today, one of WA's many sleeping
volcanoes. Going to be a looooong day
waiting for them to get back!

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the damselfly

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Bonnie NJ

My little sister is taking part in a 100 mile bike race in Lake Tahoe. Hope
the weather is good for her. It's her first long distance race and she was
more than just a little nervous - traveling across the country to be a part
of it.

I wonder if she's riding around the lake - we don't know the area at all.
Anyone know of the race, it's a fund raiser for cancer research.
--
Bonnie
NJ
oups.com...

Old 05-06-2005, 06:40 PM
kathy

Wow! Bravo for her! That's some
accomplishment, just getting up the
courage to do it!

Mine brother and family try to spend
time there, a friend has a cabin, they
go skiing and hiking, close enough to
San Francisco. Neat opportunity for
city kids.

k :-)

Old 05-06-2005, 07:32 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

At long last! I took a friend's son on a paddleboat ride to see what was
going on in the pond. Lots.... on his own, he asked if we could just float
in the middle (not huge; about 2/3 acre) and look.
Gary Woods

Love the virtual tours on the lake, I assume this is something like a
paddle boat that you move by pedaling like a bike?

Gorgeous weather here yesterday, a day when one can spend it outside
working all day without (hardly) breaking a sweat. After mowing I cleaned
the pre-filter 2 weeks after I cleaned it before (normally can go 6 weeks)
because one of my nicest baby koi had disappeared. Last time I cleaned it I
had 4 baby koi in there, as the week before I'd been in the pond culling
them out, so they snuck a quick ride out of the pond. Unfortunately this
time the baby didn't survive the ride and was DOA. (

I also cull down the baby koi originally from the lily pond, started with a
dozen and am down to 3 keepers. All culls find homes amazingly.

Divided the variegated cat tail and started moving the iris out and the
cannas and taros into the pond. Still have 3 cannas and 2 taros all
different varieties, that need to get some height before they go in.

A totally pond filled day. Oh, and saw my first froglet! Lots of the
tadpoles now have their hindlegs. Won't be long and I'll be able to move
the goldies out. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 05-06-2005, 08:54 PM
rtk

Bonnie NJ wrote:
My little sister is taking part in a 100 mile bike race in Lake Tahoe. Hope
the weather is good for her. It's her first long distance race and she was
more than just a little nervous - traveling across the country to be a part
of it.

I wonder if she's riding around the lake - we don't know the area at all.
Anyone know of the race, it's a fund raiser for cancer research.

I biked only half that distance today, but I saw a deer and her tiny
new, but very lively kid hop across the road in the gamelands, plus a
hundred little ducks and goslings in a pond near a farm, plenty of
redwing blackbirds and goldfinches. All in all, a lovely day. Quite
different from yesterday, when I thought it would be a pleasant idea to
take *Donna,* my big red eared slider out for a little field-trip. I
put her on the grass and she dashed over to the pond, as expected, but
she stirred it up enough so I couldn't see her. I thought the koi would
give me a clue, but they didn't. Six hours of pacing the edge with my
net uselessly in hand, wondering how people cope with the loss of their
two-legged, two-armed, four foot high lost ones when I'm pre-grieving
over the possible disappearance of my 10 inch leg-less 4 flappered
little critter before, finally, the red stripe and pointy nose surfaced
and I netted the baaaad turtle.

Ruth Kazez
Old 05-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Gary Woods

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

Love the virtual tours on the lake, I assume this is something like a
paddle boat that you move by pedaling like a bike?

Exactly..... we'd wanted one for some time, but they were either way
expensive or had a weight limit less than, well, me. This one is molded
plastic, quite durable, and seats two real adults and a couple of
six-packs. Under $500 a few years back.

And I'm in awe of Ruth who "only" biked 50 miles, not to mention the
100-mile charity racers. Wow! My country road is on the route of a local
club, so I sometimes see schools of bikers go by, toiling uphill. They get
all that energy investment back, though, a quarter mile up at the top of
the hill.

Back out to the garden... there are bean teepees to erect, and then water
lilies to contemplate.

Peace,

Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Bonnie NJ

Hi Ruth,
Glad to hear that you were able to capture your turtle!
Your bike ride sounded very enjoyable and probably much more relaxing than
my sisters. This is her first big race with so many other racers. She's
riden in races at Lewisburg, Williamsport and Hershey but they were much
smaller groups and not quite as long. I'm very eager to hear from her about
her adventure. She's no youngster - she's 54.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 06-06-2005, 07:07 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

her adventure. She's no youngster - she's 54.

My Dad, 76, bikes 20+ miles easy each day, and has done as many as 60-70 in
one day. So your sis has quite a few years to catch up to him. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~