Old 20-12-2009, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beautiful day!

It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy.
I wonder how long that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's
quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short time.
Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far
after all. How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well -
soon be spring if the alliums coming through are anything to go by!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-12-2009, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:23:15 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy.
I wonder how long that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's
quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short time.
Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far
after all. How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise?

I've seen the fuchsia and it's bleak

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 20-12-2009, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold last
night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped entirely.
But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns still have all
their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy. I wonder how long
that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's quite nice to have the
place to ourselves just for that short time. Now we wait for the
'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far after all. How's
everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well - soon be spring if the
alliums coming through are anything to go by!
--
Sacha

Much the same here on the Isle of Wight.

and it would be nice when you all report in to say where you are. :-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 20-12-2009, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 11:28:35 +0000, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ said:

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:23:15 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy.
I wonder how long that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's
quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short time.
Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far
after all. How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise?

I've seen the fuchsia and it's bleak

Groooaan Not bad, though. ;-)

Old 20-12-2009, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and
happy. I wonder how long that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and
it's quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short
time. Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get
this far after all. How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah
well - soon be spring if the alliums coming through are anything
to go by!

Cold last night here in South Kent, but the further heavy snowfalls
predicted did not come to pass. Beautiful sunny day, blue sky, slightltly
chilly and the ice on the roads is treacherous!

Old 20-12-2009, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold last
night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped entirely.
But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns still have all
their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy. I wonder how long
that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's quite nice to have the
place to ourselves just for that short time. Now we wait for the
'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far after all. How's
everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well - soon be spring if the
alliums coming through are anything to go by!

Sacha,

Have some of our snow! It's been snowing more or less continuously for 36
hours here and we have between 8" and 12" (depending on where you measure
it). Fortunately no wind, so there is a good blanket of insulation on the
greenhouse. Many of the local roads are closed but the main road into
Inverness (40 miles south) is passable with care, providing you go via the
A.9 through Tain. There seems to be a lot more to come if you look at the
radar. I've finished my Christmas shopping and the perishable food will be
delivered on Wednesday, but we are more used to this weather up here!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 20-12-2009, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold last
night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped entirely.
But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns still have all
their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy. I wonder how long
that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's quite nice to have the
place to ourselves just for that short time. Now we wait for the
'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far after all. How's
everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well - soon be spring if the
alliums coming through are anything to go by!

Just been down to the allotment for a Savoy for dinner, beautiful down there
but everything is still frozen solid, including the cabbage.
Roads appear to be thawing now which is a blessing seeing as how some have
been driving in the icy conditions.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-12-2009, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:23:15 +0000, Sacha wrote:

It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and happy.
I wonder how long that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and it's
quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short time.
Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get this far
after all. How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah well -
soon be spring if the alliums coming through are anything to go by!

Sunny and cold here, SE of Bristol. Everything in my garden is frozen
solid, from my bucket of rain-water, to the olive tree. This year
everything has to fend for itself.
Snow is lovely but such a hazzard for families travelling. Don't want
it this week thanks!

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-12-2009, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , ~Brian~
writes
Cold last night here in South Kent, but the further heavy snowfalls
predicted did not come to pass.

We got even more snow here last night, it really is quite thick now.
Though the sun is out it's doesn't seem to be getting less Trees and
shrubs still covered and my dogs up to their stomachs in it in the
garden!

Roads here aren't too bad on the main routes but side roads are lethal
as is ours and the drive has had to be cleared twice today. I was due to
go for a 9 mile walk around Sarratt and Flaundedn today then Christmas
dinner with the walking group but the side roads to the place are very
steep and I am not one to incur a huge garage bill if I can avoid it, so
instead of Roast duck at the Cricketers I have had soup .............

I can see two fuchsias that i forgot to put inside the greenhouse but I
have so many plamnts/cuttings in pots in the front of the door that i
can't pick my way through the snow to get them in now .
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-12-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Roads appear to be thawing now which is a blessing seeing as how some
have been driving in the icy conditions.

Yes but temperatures for next couple of nights should ensure that the
melting snow turns to black ice !

Old 20-12-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pam Moore writes

Sunny and cold here, SE of Bristol. Everything in my garden is frozen
solid, from my bucket of rain-water, to the olive tree. This year
everything has to fend for itself.
Snow is lovely but such a hazzard for families travelling. Don't want
it this week thanks!

Leeds - not much snow, just a thin covering everywhere. It hasn't risen
above 0 where we are, though, so although the main roads are gritted and
salted, the pavements are solid ice, as are all the minor roads. We
managed to get some salt for our private road, and are now able to get
cars in and out with great care, but if we hadn't been able to do that,
we'd have been housebound - it was too slippery for either pedestrians
or cars.
--
Kay
Old 20-12-2009, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...
Bob Hobden writes
Roads appear to be thawing now which is a blessing seeing as how some have
been driving in the icy conditions.

Yes but temperatures for next couple of nights should ensure that the
melting snow turns to black ice !

My point entirely, if you have to scrape your car windows of ice and see
puddles at the side of the road that are frozen you expect Black Ice
everywhere and drive accordingly. A significant proportion of drivers don't
and get away with it 99% of the time.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-12-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 12:13:54 +0000, "Phil Gurr" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't mind a couple of inches of snow just to feel Christmassy but
you can keep the rest thanks! It sounds quite daunting to me but as
you say, it's a question of what one's used to!

Old 20-12-2009, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-20 14:43:38 +0000, K said:

Pam Moore writes

Sunny and cold here, SE of Bristol. Everything in my garden is frozen
solid, from my bucket of rain-water, to the olive tree. This year
everything has to fend for itself.
Snow is lovely but such a hazzard for families travelling. Don't want
it this week thanks!

Leeds - not much snow, just a thin covering everywhere. It hasn't risen
above 0 where we are, though, so although the main roads are gritted
and salted, the pavements are solid ice, as are all the minor roads. We
managed to get some salt for our private road, and are now able to get
cars in and out with great care, but if we hadn't been able to do that,
we'd have been housebound - it was too slippery for either pedestrians
or cars.

Falling over on the pavement and breaking a leg is NOT a good start to
Christmas or anything else, for that matter. Go carefully!

Old 20-12-2009, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
It's bright and sunny here without a cloud in the sky. It was cold
last night but not as cold as it has been and the wind has dropped
entirely. But despite a couple of freezing nights, the tree ferns
still have all their green fronds and are looking very fresh and
happy. I wonder how long that can last! We're shut for 2 weeks and
it's quite nice to have the place to ourselves just for that short
time. Now we wait for the 'promised' snow - I wonder if it will get
this far after all. How's everyone else doing - snow or otherwise? Ah
well - soon be spring if the alliums coming through are anything
to go by! --
Sacha

Much the same here on the Isle of Wight.

and it would be nice when you all report in to say where you are. :-)

Yep.....so easy to put it in sig
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C