Old 16-04-2005, 03:23 AM
jamogod

Default Here's on for the experts

Here's one for the experts. I've been in the industry for 10 years and I've
never seen this!!

In Southwestern Ontario we are seeing alot of snowmold, which I know to be
more of a cosmetic problem than anything. A few of my clients properties
that were completely reseeded with perennial ryegrass 2 seasons ago have
lost over 50% of their lawn due to snowmold. I cannot find any bugs or any
signs of any other fungus or problems. These lawns were gorgeous in the
fall. Adjoining neighbours with Kentucky Bluegrass are not having this
problem. Its a nice crisp line down the middle.

These clients are going to be angry if they have to pay to reseed again and
its gonna cost me a small fortune if I do it for free ( highly unlikely ).
Anybody know if there's a quick remedy to this - Kelp, urea application -
ANYTHING.

Much appreciated

Old 17-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Peter H

"jamogod" wrote in message
[...]

As you say snowmold is normally just a cosmetic problem. I'm in the Toronto
area and the lawns here haven't started up yet. I can appreciate the fact
that the ryegrass lawns are suffering more than the bluegrass, but how do
you know that they have lost 50% of the lawns? Are you sure that they won't
just come back at the bluegrass lawns do?

Peter H

Old 18-04-2005, 12:55 AM
jamogod

Sorry, they appear to have lost over 50% of the lawn, but they just dont
look like they are going to recover from this, guess Ill have to wait it out
and see what happens.

Old 19-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Timothy

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:23:03 -0400, jamogod wrote:

[...]

Good day Jamogod. Snow mold happens here where I'm at also... but it's
generally due to over-fertilization in the fall. When you say "These lawns
were gorgeous in the fall...", this implies to me that the lawn was pumped
with nitorgen through out the year to get that 'show lawn' look.

Before you go and treat this issue, you need to confirm what you have.
There are two types of 'snow mold' out there. Fusarium patch (Pink snow
mold) and Typhula blight (Gray snow mold).

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts...c ategoryID=4

Begin copy and paste
Typhula blight (Gray snow mold)
Biology
Typhula blight is a fungal disease which can occur beneath snow cover on
unfrozen soil. Under snow, light yellow to gray circular areas develop.
These range in size up to a foot or more in diameter. Grass leaves are
matted together and may be covered with a fluffy, grayish to white fungal
growth, particularly near the margin of the patch. Small dark fungal
structures often speckle the white mats. In cool, moist conditions such as
under wet leaves, the disease usually appears as circular, yellow or
brownish areas 3"-6" across. Typically only the leaves are killed by
Typhula blight, but occasionally roots and crowns are also killed.
Excessive thatch, high late fall fertility, and poor drainage contribute
to disease development. Typhula blight often occurs in conjunction with
Fusarium patch (see also Fusarium patch (Pink snow mold), TG-d11).

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts...c ategoryID=4
Fusarium patch (Pink snow mold)
Biology
Fusarium patch is a fungal disease common in western Washington. It is
typically most severe on bentgrass and annual bluegrass at low mowing
heights in shaded areas. Fescues, Kentucky bluegrass, and perennial
ryegrasses may also be infected. The disease develops most rapidly during
periods of cool, wet weather in spring and fall. Symptoms include small,
watersoaked patches which may be 2" in diameter initially, then enlarge to
6" or more. Reddish-brown margins often surround the spots, which become
tan or light gray. White to pinkish fungal growth may be present on the
advancing edges. Patches may appear ring-like if grasses regrow in the
center. Symptoms are most noticeable on short grasses (1/4") and less
noticeable on longer grasses (1" or more). The fungus survives in the soil
and on diseased grass and debris. In areas with snow cover, the fungus can
grow beneath the snow as the snow melts.
End copy and paste

In the furture you will want to change some of your maintenance practices
when it comes to these lawns. Lower nitrogen applications in the fall and
bagging the clippings would be a good start. Also another word of
caution, save these lawns for the end of your day to mow. You will want to
wash your mowers before mowing any other lawns. You can infect other
clients' lawns if you do not take care.

I would mow these lawns, apply the fungicide and wait. Things 'should'
balance out by the end of spring. You may need to over seed the worst
areas, but it should come back.

Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.

[...]