Old 30-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Gabrielle

I'm on my second Arizona pond -- first was about 500 gallons and my
present one is about 1400 gallons at my new house. My goldfish have
survived summers in both of them and are still going strong. My ponds
are only 17" deep to keep me out of trouble with codes, etc. Other than

some plants, the main thing I did was make a ramada over the pond with
roof of sunscreen cloth (Home Depot or Lowes). Have you tested the
water temperature?

Gabrielle, down in Ajo, Arizona

I know you know what 115 feels like. your pond sounds about like mine
as far as dementions and depth. I just added some more plants and Im
going to add a bunch more anacharis pretty soon, about 70 stems and
maybe some hornwort.

Chris

Or 117° -- but so far so good this year. Today the water felt a little
warm when I got in to change a filter, but the fish seemed happy and
healthy. (I don't know exactly how warm since the turtles have hidden
the thermometer again.)

The more shade, the better, so your plants should help. Shade cloth as
mentioned or even floating big flat objects on the water surface can
help, too. I sometimes cool things off a bit by putting my hose spray on
mist and topping the pond off slowing. The little falls and the one
fountain (only 2-3 inches in the air over the surface of the water --
more a bubbler than a fountain, really) seem to help, too.

Gabrielle
Ajo, Arizona
Old 30-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Gabrielle

I just get in the pond and sit for a minute or two.
I'd guess mine is close to 85° -- the turtles have hidden my thermometer
again so I don't know for sure.

Gabrielle
Ajo, Arizona

PlainBill wrote:

Just to jump in here, mine was 86 F at about 10:00 AM (maximum
sunlight on the pond).

Estimating the temperature by sticking your hand in it is a waste of
time. When it's 110, when you first stick your hand into a pond at 86
F it feels cold. Pull it out, let the evaporation chill it for a
minute, stick it back in, the water feels hot.

PlainBill

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:04:55 -0700, Courageous
wrote:

roof of sunscreen cloth (Home Depot or Lowes). Have you tested the
water temperature?

Out of curiosity, what was your own?

C//

Old 30-06-2005, 10:23 PM
RichToyBox

What kind of bird?
--
RichToyBox

"Dude" wrote in message
ups.com...
On top of thatI
seen a bird today snag one of my comets out of the pond today. Now I
have to work something out for that I guess.

Chris

Old 01-07-2005, 08:13 PM
matrix j

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
current pond temp. O3raledale Ponds 11 10-10-2003 02:02 AM