Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 AM
Bob

Default THE TOADS ARE A-TRILLING

We live in southern alabama and the toads have returned for another
season. Looks like winter is over for us.Our water temp is up to 65
degrees and the koi are getting active. (I think they were happy to
see the toads return!) Last year we weren't too sure we wanted them
breading in the pond (that was our first year) but after seeing what a
wonderful job they did about cleaning up the rocks.....we welcome them
this year! Last year they came five times and each time left the pond
spotless of algae. Last night a dozen males appeared and only 4
females.
Pondering.........
Bob and Susie
You may see our pond at:

www.gulftel.com/seadogs
Old 07-03-2003, 03:33 AM
jammer

I am suppressing any spring fever talk at this time....It's 60 one day
and 33 the next, i just don't know. Farmer's Almanac shows the last
cold weather during the 3rd and 4th week in march. Guess i will plan
on April as planting time and no matter how you look at it, that isn't
long.
I took the pond temp and it is 42! If it is that cold now, i hate to
think what it was when it was 18 degrees outside. So i have another
month until i will attempt to feed any fish that may be down there. (I
havent seen them) My creeping jenny is straining to get above the
screen i have on top. Every time i take it off it gets windy and the
thing fills up with leaves from i don't know where! Guess i will need
to get used to that.

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 18:50:32 -0600, Bob wrote:

We live in southern alabama and the toads have returned for another
season. Looks like winter is over for us.Our water temp is up to 65
degrees and the koi are getting active. (I think they were happy to
see the toads return!) Last year we weren't too sure we wanted them
breading in the pond (that was our first year) but after seeing what a
wonderful job they did about cleaning up the rocks.....we welcome them
this year! Last year they came five times and each time left the pond
spotless of algae. Last night a dozen males appeared and only 4
females.
Pondering.........
Bob and Susie
You may see our pond at:

www.gulftel.com/seadogs

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 07-03-2003, 03:44 AM
jammer

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 21:27:14 -0600, jammer wrote:

I am suppressing any spring fever talk at this time....

well, i forgot to talk about toads. I am so hoping that some like my
pond! Early on it is going to be bare looking. And i still need
something to help them get OUT, like a piece of wood or ? I have a
brick sitting on the plant shelf that they could get out with but it
isn't too attractive. I am rearranging my whole deck so i can see my
pond better. This pond all started with a bowl of ice water for the
panting toads in the summer. They would take turns sitting in it. And
i am worried about them liking my pond? haha I am looking for a clay
pot i can make a toad habitat out of and i believe i have my around
the pond plantings all planned. I am going to lower the border around
it as well.
juls Zone A

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 07-03-2003, 04:56 AM
K30a

A few over hanging plants will help toads.
Or a plant close to the wall of the pond.
Just something to help them go from water
to land.

k30a
Old 07-03-2003, 02:33 PM
K30a

Creeping Jenny seems to be very adaptable.
I have it on land and in water. It would be a good
plant for toads to enter and exit the pond. You can have a tiny little toad
crossing sign posted ;-)

k30a

Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 12:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 03:35 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 12:32 AM
Toads Pamcel United Kingdom 4 29-03-2003 11:44 AM
toads in MD [email protected] Ponds 8 11-03-2003 12:48 AM