Old 01-07-2005, 12:02 AM
kathy

Damselflies will fold their wings up behind them when they
light on a plant stem, dragonflies keep their
wings straight out, that's how I tell them apart.

k :-)

Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Gail Futoran

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
*muffin* wrote:
eeek!
there was a plethora of dragonflies hanging aroudn my pond yesterday &
today.. the 1st time in 'ever' seeing them here.

ok, how do I get rid of them & should I be reallly scared???

(I have read about the larva/nymphs eating goldfish,, although I cannot
see
how something THAT small could do that!)

Like everyone else said, they're good bugs.
I'll just add they're the favorite food of Purple
Martins, if you get those birds in your area.

Gail

Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Roy

I'll have to check that folding wing thing out next trip to the pond.

On 30 Jun 2005 16:02:54 -0700, "kathy" wrote:

===
===Damselflies will fold their wings up behind them when they
===light on a plant stem, dragonflies keep their
===wings straight out, that's how I tell them apart.
===
===k :-)

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Like everyone else said, they're good bugs.
I'll just add they're the favorite food of Purple
Martins, if you get those birds in your area.
Gail

And here I thought dragonflies didn't have any predators. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Snooze

"John Bachman" wrote in message

Dragonflies work a particular route when feeding. Watch one sometime.
He will fly in a big loop constantly covering the same airspace. They
are the coolest insect (except maybe for bumblebees) and do not bite,
sting or otherwise mess with humans.

I like new zealand bull dog ants, they are bugs with a serious attitude
problem. I especially like that they're in new zealand, and not in
california.

-S

Old 01-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Wilmdale

I like new zealand bull dog ants, they are bugs with a serious attitude
problem. I especially like that they're in new zealand, and not in
california.

-S

One site,
http://www.vuw.ac.nz/staff/phil_lest...lldog_ants.htm
reports that this ant has not been seen in one particular area since 1981!
Would it be that some (not all because they do a lot of cleaning up) the
fire ants that infest the South, would disappear! :-P .
W. Dale

Old 01-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Roy

Short of Nuking them nothing thats been done so far seems to have
gotten the souths fire ant population under control. There is stuff
out there thats supposedly safe, and thats what I use, unfortunately
unless the government does one massive applicaitn and covers the
entire area of the country to erradicate them, I doubt anything is
gonna work. I am fireant free for the most part, but each and every
year I apply Talstar PL and it does a bang up job, but its a no win
situation since the county does nothing in and along roadways, nor do
neighbors etc, so about all I can do is keep em at bay........but its
certainly nice not having all those mounds or being concerned about
fire ants

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 06:19:21 -0600, Wilmdale
wrote:

===
===
===

Old 01-07-2005, 08:10 PM
matrix j

Old 02-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Yorkshire Pudding

On 30 Jun 2005 16:02:54 -0700, "kathy" wrote:

Damselflies will fold their wings up behind them when they
light on a plant stem, dragonflies keep their
wings straight out, that's how I tell them apart.

k :-)

Thanks for the info, I've changed "Dragon" to "Damsel" on this photo I
took the other day http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/otters/pond.htm

Thanks again

YP

Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Derek Broughton

*muffin* wrote:

eeek!
there was a plethora of dragonflies hanging aroudn my pond yesterday &
today.. the 1st time in 'ever' seeing them here.

ok, how do I get rid of them & should I be reallly scared???

(I have read about the larva/nymphs eating goldfish,, although I cannot
see how something THAT small could do that!)

Please, please, please, DON'T. Dragonflies are lovely creatures. It's
true, the Hellgrammites (dragonfly larvae) are pretty deadly, but they're
not usually a problem for adult fish, and the adults are even better for
mosquito control than bats.
--
derek
Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Nedra

I have more than a dozen blue/aqua damselflies that fly around the
pond. They land on a blue-gray colored statue of a koi that sits on the
deck. Our heat has been something fierce ... and yet the damselflies
continually
land on the koi statue - One at a time - and stay there for upwards of
an hour. I really don't believe this is mating behavior...
But who knows?

Nedra in Missouri

Lotus Pond: