Old 18-07-2005, 04:46 AM
Gareee©

"Courageous" wrote in message

I've seen some pumps in the chicago tools catalog that look like they
might
do a waterfall.. or any online inexpensive alternatives would also be
good.

You really need to look at the unit cost of water moved. Cost of
operations
can really get ya. The Sequence 750 is one of the most cost effective
gallons-
moved-to-watts-burned pumps on the market.

Where's the best place to purchase it, and what kind of monthly costs am I
looking at?

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 18-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Courageous

You really need to look at the unit cost of water moved. Cost of
operations can really get ya. The Sequence 750 is one of the most
cost effective gallons-moved-to-watts-burned pumps on the market.

Where's the best place to purchase it, and what kind of monthly
costs am I looking at?

It's 160 watts. As for what you pay for that, that's 160 watts
times 24 hours = 3.8 kilowatt hours per day. You move over 3000
gallons per hour at that price. Do note that Sequence pumps
aren't submersible; also, they aren't capable of driving large
head (height) applications. They are designed specifically
to move the maximum amount of water for the least price at
minimal head.

The best price I've seen on the pump is the "member's price"
at AZ Ponds (http://www.azponds.com). Please be aware that I
haven't actually bought anything from them, though.

With these pumps, it pays to shop. I've seen them priced well
over /double/ at some places.

C//

Old 18-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Gareee©

[...]

I was thinking of adding a uv lamp to help eliminate the algae, (though
that's almost a non issue for now)

Can these be using in conjunction with a uv lamp?

Also, we were considering a waterfall (not huge), but the lift is about 4.5
feet.. can they handle that?

A concern I'm having, is how much constant water agitation we might end up
with.. the spitter, the bubblers, and now this as well.

Not a huge deal, but I don;t want it to look like there's a whirlpool in my
yard instead of a pond.. LOL!

Old 18-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Roy

YOu really do not need to make generalizationi statements such as
"Sequence are not made for high head applications" so evidently your
not really familiar with the entire line of Sequence
pumps..........Sequence makes a line of pumps that will pump up
against head with any other brands normally associated with pond
use.......Now if your going with their Value FLow or the 750 series
its the economy line of pumps.........and you get what you paya for in
regards to performanace and price.........

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:11:30 -0700, Courageous
wrote:

===
[...]

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 18-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Courageous

Can these be using in conjunction with a uv lamp?

Certainly; although you might consider the flow rate of the lamp;
if the pump exceeds it, build a manifold (an array of valves) where
only one of them goes to the uv lamp.

Also, we were considering a waterfall (not huge), but the lift is about 4.5
feet.. can they handle that?

Yes.

A concern I'm having, is how much constant water agitation we might end up
with.. the spitter, the bubblers, and now this as well.

Not all water movement has to go into a water feature.

In your manifold, you can return some water directly to the pond, just
below the surface. This will be helpful to your pond if your water source
is at or near the bottom of your pond.

Example:

Pump--Tee--Array of valves--1 fountain, 2 water fall, 3 back to pond

A picture is he

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../8341/cid/2034

You can make these out of cheap parts from Home Depot.

C//

Old 18-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Gareee©

"Courageous" wrote in message

Can these be using in conjunction with a uv lamp?

Certainly; although you might consider the flow rate of the lamp;
if the pump exceeds it, build a manifold (an array of valves) where
only one of them goes to the uv lamp.

Also, we were considering a waterfall (not huge), but the lift is about
4.5
feet.. can they handle that?

Yes.

Cool on both counts, and the generalization thing.

A concern I'm having, is how much constant water agitation we might end up
with.. the spitter, the bubblers, and now this as well.

Not all water movement has to go into a water feature.

In your manifold, you can return some water directly to the pond, just
below the surface. This will be helpful to your pond if your water source
is at or near the bottom of your pond.

Again, good idea. Looks like some new pond shopping might be in order.

The pond is much clearer then yesterday though, and I think as long as the
algae isn't in full bloom, I might actually be ok.

Something I hadn't considered, is if there something the water lettuce
exudes that kills algae. That's really the only major change in the pond's
ecosystem that has occurred in the last week or so.

He have a plantless mini pond made from a kid's pool and it is still
completely green. I just a portion of the water lettuce in it as an
experiment, to see if the lettuce is what killed off the algae.

Plus, there are a few small watercress plants left.. I relocated them there,
so they can grow back.. when they do, I'll transfer them into the main pond,
for fish food.

Old 19-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Courageous

Something I hadn't considered, is if there something the water lettuce
exudes that kills algae. That's really the only major change in the pond's
ecosystem that has occurred in the last week or so.

In sal****er aquariums, both macroalgae and corals routinely engage in
chemical warfare. The corals especially, but even the macroalgae. It's
a possibility for fresh water plants, I suppose, although I am ignorant
of the subject.

C//

Old 19-07-2005, 02:48 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Something I hadn't considered, is if there something the water lettuce
exudes that kills algae. That's really the only major change in the pond's
ecosystem that has occurred in the last week or so.

In sal****er aquariums, both macroalgae and corals routinely engage in
chemical warfare. The corals especially, but even the macroalgae. It's
a possibility for fresh water plants, I suppose, although I am ignorant
of the subject.

C//

It's a good thought, I think most of us just figured the lettuce out
competes the algae for nutrients. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 19-07-2005, 04:33 AM
Gareee©

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Something I hadn't considered, is if there something the water lettuce
exudes that kills algae. That's really the only major change in the
pond's
ecosystem that has occurred in the last week or so.

It's a good thought, I think most of us just figured the lettuce out
competes the algae for nutrients. ~ jan

I have a hard time believing a very small amount though would effect such a
dramatic a change in such a short time period.

I'll report what I see in the smaller pond (there's a larger amount in there
proportionately, and if I do see an effect, maybe water lettuce could be the
"magic bullet" for green water?

Old 19-07-2005, 04:44 AM
Courageous

I have a hard time believing a very small amount though would effect such a
dramatic a change in such a short time period.

While I haven't seen what you call a "small amount of water lettuce,"
I've seen water lettuce. A few heads is quite a bit, a lot of biomatter.
I would wonder how much the equivalent green water algae would weigh...

C//

Old 22-07-2005, 12:42 PM
~ janj JJsPond.ca

Gareee© wrote:
My greenwater finally died off, but now I have brown water.

Did you have Carol over for tea?
When yiu are not looking she will poop in the pond
Old 22-07-2005, 12:45 PM
~ janj JJsPond.ca

Go away Carol, nobody cares about what you have to say. leave the net
and service your husband!

Reel Mckoi wrote:
"Gareee©" wrote in message

My greenwater finally died off, but now I have brown water.

## A partial water change would probably help.

I built one of those "milk crate" submerged filter, driven by our large

pond

spitter pump, but noticed this am, the fish all in a cluster, doing the

air

sucking thing.

## Now THAT doesn't sound good.

Does the dead algae reduce oxygen levels? I turned the bubblers on again,

add more oxygen in the water.

## I would leave them on ALL THE TIME!

Wonder how long it'll take the filter to clear the dead algae?

## No one can answer that one.........