Old 17-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Bill Stock

Default The BS Algae (Pond) report for July 17th

The Algae is doing fine. Two Water Lilies in bloom today (I only have
two), one pink and one white. I really have to divide these things next
year. The Water Hyacinths are turning brown at the water line and dying off.
I added four Water Lettuce yesterday and the "Ron ring" today, although
there is currently no danger of the plants crowding out the feeding areas. I
added the usual Iron/Potassium/Magnesium supplements again today. I also
added 5 PPM of Nitrates for the first time to jump start the WH. I expect
the Algae to take off in the short term, but I really have to get the
surface covered to starve the Algae of light. I suspect the Algae is
starving the WH of nutrients (roots covered in Algae).

Old 18-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Registered User

Sounds like you had a good time puttering around the pond. It is a nice way to spend part of the weekend isn't it. Here is a link about algea that I found very interesting. Hope you find it as interesting. Happy ponding.

http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/GRENH2O.html
Old 18-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Bill Stock

http://tinyurl.com/bxq3c

--
Koitoy

Thanks.

I see you rained on my light parade. I can't say this surprises me, as
the Algae grows on the WH roots, where there is next to no light. Although
it does much better at the edges of the pond, where there is much more
light. My Nitrates consistently test at zero, which is good for the fish,
but bad for the plants. Phosphate was somewhere around two the last time I
checked. So I plan to keep the Nitrates around 5 PPM to keep the floating
plants healthy and make Phosphate the limiting nutrient. At least if I get
the surface covered with plants I won't be able to see the Algae anymore .

I have Hair Algae BTW, not floating Algae.