Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default Help - Rust on my Garlic!

After years of growing garlic without problems, I'm having problems
with Rust in my first year in an allotment.

I planted three varieties in October last year next to some Shallots &
other usual allotment stuff. The "Ivory" variety has had a bad
covering of rust for several weeks - plants encrusted with
yellow/orange, plants quite thick and tall but not much sign of the
bulb forming. The "Vitesse" has been slower to get affected, but the
bulbs are much further advanced. Finally, neither the Elephant garlic
or Shallots show any sign of rust.

Can anyone help with the following:

(1) I reckon the Vitesse will probably yield some useable bulbs soon,
but the Ivory will need longer. Is there any harm in leaving these in
the ground or should I get them out as soon as possible?

(2) Checking other sites gives conflicting advice about the other
crops that can be affected. Some say that Leeks and Shallots are also
vulnerable - others say they aren't (I'm afraid I haven't identified
which type of Rust I've got...)

I'm about to plant some leeks not very far away - are they likely to
be infected too?

(3) Are there any reliable ways of preventing this in future years?
It's never affected me before, but I see commercial growers in the US
get hit quite a bit. How do European growers manage (or do they
plaster theirs with chemicals?)?

If you've read this far, thanks in anticipation....

Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot
Old 09-06-2003, 09:44 AM
John Pearce

My garlic is suffering a similar problem with rust, though not as heavy.

It doesn't seem to have spread, and only seems to be affecting the foliage,
the bulbs not being affected at all. I lifted a few of the larger ones,
just to check over the weekend and they seem fine. Onions and shallots next
to the garlic all seem fine.

John

Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:33:53 +0100, "John Pearce"
wrote:

My garlic is suffering a similar problem with rust, though not as heavy.

It doesn't seem to have spread, and only seems to be affecting the foliage,
the bulbs not being affected at all. I lifted a few of the larger ones,
just to check over the weekend and they seem fine.

Interesting John - how far had the bulbs of your garlic developed?

On the two that I have lifted, there weren't any "proper" cloves -
just lots of segments of stuff that looked like they will eventually
fatten out to become cloves.

I'd still expect to leave Garlic in the ground till later in July or
so, so I'm not sure if the relative immaturity of mine is a problem.

Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot
Old 10-06-2003, 10:32 AM
John Pearce

wrote:

My garlic is suffering a similar problem with rust, though not as heavy.

It doesn't seem to have spread, and only seems to be affecting the

foliage,
the bulbs not being affected at all. I lifted a few of the larger ones,
just to check over the weekend and they seem fine.

Interesting John - how far had the bulbs of your garlic developed?

On the two that I have lifted, there weren't any "proper" cloves -
just lots of segments of stuff that looked like they will eventually
fatten out to become cloves.

I'd still expect to leave Garlic in the ground till later in July or
so, so I'm not sure if the relative immaturity of mine is a problem.

Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot

Colin

Bulbs on a couple were pretty well developed, all those lifted 1" diameter,
some about 2".

The ones lifted weer from cloves planted in November and transplanted
outside in January so they've had a very good run at being able to form
blubs already. Leaving the rest in the ground now, unless the rust seems to
spread.

John

Old 11-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Druss

[...]

I've had rust on leeks for years, usually just means we lift them young, but
this year it has hit my garlic as well. I've lifted all those infected, and
removed and disposed of all infected leaves. They are right next to my
onions, and I am hoping the rest of the garlic and the onions will be able
to cope. Mind you several of the garlic's were also trying to run to seed,
annoying little buggers. These went in, with the old traditional, planted on
the shortest day, and due to be lifted on the longest. Well it's only 3
weeks away, so not too bad.
Duncan

Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:37:17 +0100, "Druss"
wrote:

I've had rust on leeks for years, usually just means we lift them young,

Hi Duncan, do you find you get a reasonable size Leek in your rusty
crop if you have to lift them early? I was concerned that if this
spread to leeks, it would affect much more of the eatable part of the
plant than it does with garlic.

At the moment, some of my garlic plants are almost completely yellow
(even the parts going down to the soil that would normally be green).

I've lifted all those infected, and removed and disposed of all
infected leaves. They are right next to my onions

Interestingly, I have shallots right next to the rust-affected garlic
and they are fine. My neighbour has a fine set of onions about 5 feet
away and they also look fine. It is obviously down to the varieties
involved (it's been so windy that any spores must have spread over all
the plants in the area).

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 12-06-2003, 10:08 AM
jane

wrote:

.. .
~
~ -----
~ Replace the obvious with Bigfoot
~
~I've had rust on leeks for years, usually just means we lift them young, but
~this year it has hit my garlic as well. I've lifted all those infected, and
~removed and disposed of all infected leaves. They are right next to my
~onions, and I am hoping the rest of the garlic and the onions will be able
~to cope. Mind you several of the garlic's were also trying to run to seed,
~annoying little buggers. These went in, with the old traditional, planted on
~the shortest day, and due to be lifted on the longest. Well it's only 3
~weeks away, so not too bad.
~Duncan
~
~
You say the garlics were running to seed - but be careful, some do
this anyway. They are known as hardneck or serpentine garlic, and now
is when you should go and chop off the scapes. They can be eaten like
asparagus or used as mild garlic flavoured chives. Removing the scape
usually increases the size of the resulting bulb by an appreciable
amount. I've been growing three different types - two softnecks
(Marshalls long keeper and thermidrome) and a hardneck (Marco), and I
hope that they will all have got a bit bigger by mid-July cos at the
moment the bulbs are only about 1.5-1.75" diameter.

I grew Marco last year too, and the current lot are the ones I forgot
to dig up and which resprouted on their own last autumn! I carefully
dug them out, split up and replanted and they are doing really well.
(apart from being slightly rusty too!)

http://www.garlicworld.co.uk/index.html will tell you all you need to
know and more... found this the other day by accident and it's not a
bad site.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Help: Removing rust spots from grey river rocks. Gideon Singer Gardening 3 09-03-2004 04:02 PM
Help: Removing rust spots from grey river rocks. J. Del Col Gardening 5 27-02-2004 11:32 PM
Mint rust Help. William Anderson United Kingdom 0 08-09-2003 07:34 PM
Help! Rust!! Susan Solomon Roses 6 03-04-2003 03:20 AM