Old 28-04-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Minitures for an apartment porch

Hi all,

I have been trying to grow minintures for the past 10 years. If I
see something cute at the grocery store or Home Depot I pick it up,
take it home then it dies in about 9 months or so.

I am willing to spend a few bucks on something nice that will last
at least 18 months in a pot on my porch. As you can tell from my E-
mail address I am down here in Florida. My porch faces west. I get
about 3 hours of direct sunlight in the winter - 5 in the summer.
What would anyone recomend.

Thanks in advance to all.

Pam

Old 28-04-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Hi Pam

I find the Own root, which miniatures generally are, do well in pot.
Grafted roses generally have a aggressive root stock that quickly out-grows
the pot. I wonder, do you lose your roses in the winter? Perhaps they are
not getting enough sun. Or, maybe too much water the sun they are getting.

Here is a list of some shade tolerant miniatures I found:
*Angel Darling

Anytime

Conservation

Emily Louise

June Laver

Laura Ashley

Minilights

*My Sunshine

Nozomi

Red Cascade

Ruby Pendant

Simon Robinson

*Stars 'n Stripes

*Sweet Chariot

Tear Drop

I personally have the ones with * next to them, and they are very hardy up
here in the cold north.

This is a pretty good site for info on shade growing:
http://www.woodlandrosegarden.com/rose/shade1.htm

This is a nice site regarding container growing:
http://www.amityheritageroses.com/SmallSpaceRoses.html

And I bet the American Rose Society http://www.ars.org/ has something on
the subject as well.

Best of luck

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

ups.com...

Old 30-04-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
DP DP is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I have been trying to grow minintures for the past 10 years. If I
see something cute at the grocery store or Home Depot I pick it up,
take it home then it dies in about 9 months or so.

I am willing to spend a few bucks on something nice that will last
at least 18 months in a pot on my porch. As you can tell from my E-
mail address I am down here in Florida. My porch faces west. I get
about 3 hours of direct sunlight in the winter - 5 in the summer.
What would anyone recomend.

Thanks in advance to all.

Pam

From everything I have read about potted minis is that they will not get
enough sun unless you have a greenhouse or full sunroom. I have the same
problem with the ones I buy, and now I have the attitude that I will enjoy
them, and then replace them when they are on the way out. They really do
not cost much.

Dp

Apartment and Bonsai Mike Bonsai 2 28-04-2005 12:29 AM
Composting at an Apartment ohberg Texas 9 07-10-2003 02:28 AM
Squirrels on apartment balcony Christiane Gardening 5 19-06-2003 01:44 AM
Apartment Gardening Jimmy Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Apartment Gardening Dora Smith Texas 0 15-02-2003 08:07 PM