Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Shiva

Default Long grizzle - wrong roses!

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:54:41 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Well, this was all helpful stuff. I wasn't worried too much about the
little trellis, but the tree was something that I wanted to eventually
hide. Maybe I can work the lateral thing to my advantage by wrapping
the canes *around* the trunk of the tree rather than training the
canes *up* the trunk. We'll see.

Here's a thought: add some other climbers. Don Juan is small for a
climber, judging from what many have said. Bob Bauer said its canes
gets no more than 12 or 15 feel long. Most people worry about
containig a giant climber--with your tree, you have no such worries. I
like two different types of roses intertwined together. That is what I
wanted to happen with Don and Sombreuil, but they have not bloomed at
the same time, so that's a bust so far. Have you considered Zepherine
Drohine [spelling!!]? Jane's up in Maryland is outstanding.

Sombreuil has been an underperformer for me (mainly due to the lack of
afternoon sun I think) but that works well for its location, which is
fairly limited in size anyway.

I like mine okay except for the fact that it ages so ugly. I love the
blushy center. But I am not really attracted to roses with 9,000 itsy
bitsy petals. It is a lot more shallow-cupped than I had thought it
would be.