Old 07-12-2003, 12:32 AM
The Edgleys

Default How to pronounce...

Just a simple question. Does anyone know the correct pronunciation of
"Peoker" as in Phal Golden Peoker?

Old 07-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Steve

I've wondered too, but was afraid to ask. ;-)

Steve

Old 07-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Wendy

At first I thought of the simple answer could be :-
Pee-O-kerr
Then I thought of the pronunciation of the word "people"
Pee-Kerr
I don't know but this is the way I would pronounce it with my SA accent.
Pee Oh kah
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 07-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:

At first I thought of the simple answer could be :-
Pee-O-kerr
Then I thought of the pronunciation of the word "people"
Pee-Kerr
I don't know but this is the way I would pronounce it with my SA accent.
Pee Oh kah

Pee-O-kerr is how _I_ say it. But evidently I can't even pronounce my
own name right (if telemarketers are any indication).

I think that is how I've heard people who actually breed with that plant
say it. Not that they necessarily are right either.

Going to San Francisco today. I wonder how to pronounce it. Actually
I've always wondered at how to pronounce Yreka.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 07-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Wendy

*G* You-reka! The city near the bay.
Don't forget your rules, take plastic!
Have a safe trip.

Old 07-12-2003, 06:12 PM
K Barrett

*GASP!* Wendy! You truly *aren't* from here are you? *G*

'Yreka' is pronounced just how it looks: Y(like the letter 'Y') -ree-ka.
http://www.yrekachamber.com/

Not to be confused with the town of 'Eureka' which is on the coast.
http://www.eurekawebs.com/ and named after Archimedes' exclaimation after
discovering his Principle http://www.colchsfc.ac.uk/maths/archimedes.htm
(which is also the California State
motto)http://www.library.ca.gov/history/ca....cfm#Heading11

See Yahoo Maps (hope these work, if not just plug 'map Yreka California in
the Google search engine): Yreka
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?cs...96097&ds =n&n
ame=&desc=&ed=T_dglep_0Trcmt1nvziBtHch5MJk0PMz3skc FGnstXlz35jUxzlFRyPm.1a7xr
idaPq_tHF_7EO4Rm8kUQ91XlAl9w--&BFClick=&BFKey=&zoomin=yes&resize=s&mag=3

Eureka
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?cs...=95501&d s=n&
name=&desc=&ed=rzudmup_0Tq3iTMaKtgsme8l5O53akgtjqw bAzacL8hgcWDqpZwTfs_rlMsTp
cN4IC.0qku5CzbuAW0lvSwgeREo0g--&BFClick=&BFKey=&zoomin=yes&resize=s&mag=3

K Barrett

Old 07-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 08:09:02 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote:

*G* You-reka! The city near the bay.
Don't forget your rules, take plastic!
Have a safe trip.

For a guy from the frozen North - you forgot -
Enjoy the warmth and lack of snow to shovel.

I heard NY was sitting in 20-26 inches of the White stuff. How
is everyone else out there doing?
SuE
Old 07-12-2003, 08:20 PM
tbell

No problem with Yreka - it's "Whyreeka." My downfall was in upstate NY,
where Chili is pronounced "Chailai!"
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

From: Rob Halgren
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:44:51 -0500
Subject: How to pronounce...

Wendy wrote:

At first I thought of the simple answer could be :-
Pee-O-kerr
Then I thought of the pronunciation of the word "people"
Pee-Kerr
I don't know but this is the way I would pronounce it with my SA accent.
Pee Oh kah

Pee-O-kerr is how _I_ say it. But evidently I can't even pronounce my
own name right (if telemarketers are any indication).

I think that is how I've heard people who actually breed with that plant
say it. Not that they necessarily are right either.

Going to San Francisco today. I wonder how to pronounce it. Actually
I've always wondered at how to pronounce Yreka.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules:
http://www.msu.edu/~halgren

Old 07-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

I have family up in New York, and friends in CT. They got hammered. Down
heah in Flahda (well, this thread did start out about pronounciation), we
took the Vandas in last night because it was going down into the 40's. Poor
us, huh? Everone's back outside.

Diana

Old 07-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Reka

Sorry to disappoint you all, but of course Eureka and Yreka were named after
me! ;-)
--
Reka
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
"K Barrett" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
*GASP!* Wendy! You truly *aren't* from here are you? *G*

'Yreka' is pronounced just how it looks: Y(like the letter 'Y') -ree-ka.
http://www.yrekachamber.com/

Not to be confused with the town of 'Eureka' which is on the coast.
http://www.eurekawebs.com/ and named after Archimedes' exclaimation after
discovering his Principle http://www.colchsfc.ac.uk/maths/archimedes.htm

---

Old 07-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Steve

tbell wrote:

No problem with Yreka - it's "Whyreeka." My downfall was in upstate NY,
where Chili is pronounced "Chailai!"
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA

What??!?
That sounds more like something they might say down towards the city.

Steve in upstate NY. Way, way upstate.