Old 30-06-2003, 06:56 PM
dave weil

Default Sevin dust and Japanese beetles

Soooooo,

I dusted my plants with Sevin two days ago.

Today, I found a single Japanese beetle, who seemed to be dying, and
three dead ones. Not a trace of any others!

Three days ago, I picked off at least 50 of them. They were
everywhere.

Of course, my roses look like they're covered with powdery mildew. g

And today, it's raining (and will rain tomorrow as well), so it's
going to be washed off (which is just fine with me).

I'm hoping that I've interrupted the swarming and that they've moved
on or have been killed off.

I'll monitor the situation and give you guys a report when I get back
from St. Louis. This should give them time to return if they're going
to. From what I've heard, we have to deal with them until August.
Maybe all I have to do is dust with Sevin each week...we'll see...

This is just amazing...I'm in awe.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Anne Lurie

Focus, Dave, focus!!!!

You're going to see Dylan!!! WOW!!!!

Oh, wow, dude, you're gonna see Dylan Be sure to give us old folks a
full report!

Oh, man, could you imagine this -- Joan Baez just wanted to drop by!!!!

Overload! Overload! Overload!!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC 7b

Old 01-07-2003, 03:44 AM
dave weil

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:10:18 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Focus, Dave, focus!!!!

This allows me to focus. I don't have to worry about how much damage
I'm going to come back to.

You're going to see Dylan!!! WOW!!!!

Oh, wow, dude, you're gonna see Dylan Be sure to give us old folks a
full report!

Heck, I just saw him about a month ago at a club called the Trap here
in Nashville.

Could I *sound* more jaded g?

Oh, man, could you imagine this -- Joan Baez just wanted to drop by!!!!

As long as she's willing to pick Japanese beetles off of my roses,
she's welcome.

Overload! Overload! Overload!!

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC 7b

.. .

Old 01-07-2003, 05:56 AM
dave weil

wrote:

Focus, Dave, focus!!!!

This allows me to focus. I don't have to worry about how much damage
I'm going to come back to.

You're going to see Dylan!!! WOW!!!!

Oh, wow, dude, you're gonna see Dylan Be sure to give us old folks a
full report!

Heck, I just saw him about a month ago at a club called the Trap here
in Nashville.

Could I *sound* more jaded g?

Oh, man, could you imagine this -- Joan Baez just wanted to drop by!!!!

As long as she's willing to pick Japanese beetles off of my roses,
she's welcome.

Overload! Overload! Overload!!

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Well, turns out that it's not Dylan with the Dead. it's Willie Nelson.

I can handle that, since I just saw Dylan last month, although, I'd
sure like to see him again...

Still, I can't help be be a little deflated. Fortunately, the main
reason for going up is to see good friends and hang...

In the words of the MasterCard commercials, it's priceless...
Old 01-07-2003, 12:32 PM
ScoobyRCP

I dusted my plants with Sevin two days ago.

Not sure how effective Devin Dust is since I used it my first year here in
Kentucky and it never seemed to bother them....didn't slow them one bit. But
the Isotox sure does.

Also I noticed that the "powdery mildew" look lasted well after the rains. I
applied it using an idea of my wife's.....placed the Sevin in the cutoff legs
of an old pair of pantyhose and shook it over each bush. As an applicator
device it was wonderful, effective on the JB's, not really here (at least at
that time).

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:56 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:28:50 -0500, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

On 01 Jul 2003 11:31:02 GMT, (ScoobyRCP) wrote:

I dusted my plants with Sevin two days ago.

Not sure how effective Devin Dust is since I used it my first year here in
Kentucky and it never seemed to bother them....didn't slow them one bit. But
the Isotox sure does.

Well, that's why I reported what I reported. It *definitely* killed
them/drove them away.

I haven't looked yet this morning.

Also I noticed that the "powdery mildew" look lasted well after the rains. I
applied it using an idea of my wife's.....placed the Sevin in the cutoff legs
of an old pair of pantyhose and shook it over each bush. As an applicator
device it was wonderful, effective on the JB's, not really here (at least at
that time).

I did it the real old-fashioned way and just stood back from the bush
and took a rubber-gloved handful and cast it to the wind (staying
downwind of course). I needed to do my yard for fleas as well, so I
used liberal amounts everywhere. It actually broadcast pretty well
that way.

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

Went out this morning for a quick check before hitting the road...

....not a beetle in sight, dead or otherwise. I didn't look really
closely, but four days ago, you didn't have to. Felicia is actually
being aloowed to bloom correctly.

And the rain has washed all of the powder away. When the weather
dries, it might come back of course.

This would be a fairly benign thing to check, since Sevin isn't super
toxic. It would be interesting to try this out in other locales. If
you try this, please report back.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Henry

dave weil wrote:
I did it the real old-fashioned way and just stood back from the bush
and took a rubber-gloved handful and cast it to the wind (staying
downwind of course).

I assume you mean you stayed upwind. It's also a good idea not to pull
on Superman's cape or pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger.

--
Henry

Old 07-07-2003, 08:33 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:06:57 -0400, Henry
wrote:

dave weil wrote:
I did it the real old-fashioned way and just stood back from the bush
and took a rubber-gloved handful and cast it to the wind (staying
downwind of course).

I assume you mean you stayed upwind.

Oh yeah...indeed...

As an update, the roses stayed clean from JBs for at least 3 or 4
days. Then they started coming back a little at a time. I've been
picking them off pretty easily. Today was the first day that they are
been swarming a bit (but not as bad as before).

So, I've hit the bushes with more Sevin. We'll see how this goes...

Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Henry

dave weil wrote:
As an update, the roses stayed clean from JBs for at least 3 or 4
days. Then they started coming back a little at a time. I've been
picking them off pretty easily. Today was the first day that they are
been swarming a bit (but not as bad as before).

So, I've hit the bushes with more Sevin. We'll see how this goes...

I've been away all week and just came in today. Sometime during the
last week, the JB have arrived in Gaithersburg. In the hundreds!

All the buds anywhere near opening on Johann Strauss and Auguste Renoir
have been destroyed, Linda Campbell has done some better but there are
still a lot there. On Zepherine Drouhin they have really attacked the
leaves pretty badly (but it's so huge, it will easily come back if I
stop it now). Pat Austin has a few blooms and they don't seem to have
bothered it at all (and it's right across the fence from the first two
which were the worst hit). Roses elsewhere in the yard are less
bothered, Bibi Maizoon had her first flush late and is without buds
right now and seems to be free of beetles.

Look out beetles, here come the Magnificent Sevin.

--
Henry
Gaithersburg, Maryland

Old 13-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Anne Lurie

Henry, I salute you! You undoubtedly have vast experience with roses, but
in my mind you will always be the one who posited the memorable phrase
"Magnificent Sevin" -- kudos from this would-be wordsmith & erstwhile
proofreader! (More accurately, the once & future proofreader, but I
digress.)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know -- the phrase Magnificent Sevin must surely have
been used before, after all, thousands of rose growers muttering all sorts
of imprecations on all manner of rose pests most likely came up with the
phrase before, but..... I ("moi") was not there to applaud such usage.

Oh, dear, I think it really is time for me to go pick on some other
newsgroup (or my WordRacer pals)...... I meant to say that it would be
improper for me to share my vast expertise & witty repartee with only one
audience, so I bid you all adieu.

Hee, hee, hee (perhaps I inhaled too little in the 60's and way too much
pesticide in the "oughts")

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Henry" wrote in message
. ..
dave weil wrote:
[...]

Liquid Sevin vs.Sevin powder? [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 26-04-2016 06:14 PM
Sevin and toxicity? Unique Too Roses 11 20-04-2011 06:58 PM
White bugs, Sevin and pruning Robert North Carolina 7 29-09-2003 06:02 PM
More on Sevin and Japanese beetles dave weil Roses 10 25-07-2003 08:32 PM
Japanese beetles and the morning glory Wendy Puckett North Carolina 2 13-07-2003 04:45 PM